Buzzards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sika View Post
    You can get a depredation permit for them. Our friends raise Beefmaster cattle and they have one.
    Last year, right before dove season opened the GW rolled up and asked if they were shooting dove. Nope! Just buzzards. Got permit, no problem.
    This,,,but I was thinking there were some federal regs that put a stop to them issuing them a year or so back?????

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
      NO permit required to shoot the black headed buzzards. They are an invasive species out of mexico and not native to Texas. They are NOT protected. Red headed (Turkey Buzzards) are protected but they very rarely attack new born calves unless they are near death/lifeless in my experience.
      I was in Maryland last year and ran into Mexican Buzzards. Guess they are everywhere now........

Comment

Originally posted by Cold 1 View Post
        Just make sure your your coffee shoes don't start telling stories.
        Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Coffee shoe stories
        Brb googling coffee shoes

Comment

Love me some auto correct

Comment

I'm not in the cattle business. But if I was and I saw any critter attempt to kill a cow/calf, I would attempt to kill it back without regard for anyone else's opinion on the matter. Black head, red head, white head....

Comment

vulture scare decoy

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I'm not in the cattle business. But if I was and I saw any critter attempt to kill a cow/calf, I would attempt to kill it back without regard for anyone else's opinion on the matter. Black head, red head, white head....
                Roger that. With margins as thin as they are I wouldnt hesitate to protect my investment.

Comment

Kab

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                    I know sex sells, but promoting a buzzard decoy?!?

Ok, I bought a couple!

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                      That would be one big ear tag.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                        NO permit required to shoot the black headed buzzards. They are an invasive species out of mexico and not native to Texas. They are NOT protected. Red headed (Turkey Buzzards) are protected but they very rarely attack new born calves unless they are near death/lifeless in my experience.
                        Some bird treaty of 1918 has em federally protected but seems to me the livestock can be protected as well. Game Warden backed it up for me. However.......

Cattle raiser associations are lobbying to get em unprotected as well to avoid any hassle with protecting their stuff. They actually make dead buzzard decoys that hang upside down to try and run em off.
                        Wonder if guard donkeys or dogs running with the cattle could work?
                        I know what I'd do..

Comment

Just thinking out loud. If you aren't the type of person who would just not worry about the legal implications of killing your nuisance birds... another alternative might be to shoot something else and let it lay. Say a few feral hogs. At least during the time when some calves were dropping.

Not sure if that is feasible... but if they aren't going to move on where there is dead stuff for them to feed on, give em dead stuff and keep em off the live stuff.

Comment

From a standpoint of legal, practical and expedient non-lethal solutions, why not get some cattle guard dogs, such as Great Pyrenees?

Comment

Google buzzard traps. Quite effective.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                                Just thinking out loud. If you aren't the type of person who would just not worry about the legal implications of killing your nuisance birds... another alternative might be to shoot something else and let it lay. Say a few feral hogs. At least during the time when some calves were dropping.

Not sure if that is feasible... but if they aren't going to move on where there is dead stuff for them to feed on, give em dead stuff and keep em off the live stuff.
                                I think it might be. At least that is my working theory around fawning time. I try to leave as many dead hogs as possible scattered around my place to keep the yotes occupied. You see, coyotes are Democrats. They're always messing in your business and they can't turn down a freebie.....

Comment

Working...
                                X