Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Raleigh
Ten Point

Default Last time you got lost?

Da Hitman's post (which I thought was funny) reminded me of the time I got lost and scared the bejesus out of myself. I am in my mid fifties now and have been blessed to hunt some very remote country and got myself into some schetchy situations but the worse was when I was around 17yrs old. I had only duck hunted on my own a few times on my own to that point.

One foggy morning I drove down to Galveston to hunt Christmas bay. The fog was so thick you could have cut it with a knife. I arrive at my spot and boy it is even fogger but I figured when the sun rose the fog would lift. I follow my trail to the blind and set my stuff down turn on my flashlight and set it up so I can see it (like my dad taught me) and wade out about 30 steps and start tossing decoys. I only had about 2 dozen dekes so I wanted them spaced out pretty good. Well I toss my last decoy and start looking around. I cant see the flashlight. I started shuffling around and cant find the decoys.

I know in just a matter of a few feet I will come across a decoy or two. Nothing>>>
Water is not getting much deeper but now I am pushing thru the water and doing circles trying to find land. I am not in any immediate danger but I am completely turned around. It's completely black and the fog is so thick I start instinctly start raising my hand as if I am walking into a wall. Understand I am standing in no more than 12-16 inches of water and cant be no more than 40-50 yards from the grass line.

I start to panic a little and start moving faster. About that time a big fish spooks making a pretty big splash. OK now I am freaking out. I know I should not move too fast or I will step on a string ray so I just stop and stand still for what seemed like hours. I start getting cold and I am nervous so I start shaking. So like an idiot I stand there in the dark in water so shallow I would have to lie down in to get wet and I am the scaredist I have been in my whole 17 year life. It gets light enough and I find the spread and get back on semi dry land. I may have walked 100 hundred yards in circle but never more than 20-30 feet form the spread. I can honestly tell you that was the second scariest time I ever had while hunting. Never fired a shot that morning.

Man I think about that time many moons ago and still get a little shiver up my spine.

How about you?
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Just a minute ago on the sweaty girl thread.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I have never been lost. I’ve been twisted a time or 2, but never lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I didn't get lost. I just got turned around a bit.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Worked downtown for over 15 years... still get lost if they shut down my goto route in and out of this cess pool...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post

This^^^^^^^right here... I was totally "LOST" for words!!!!
That don't happen often..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
This^^^^^^^right here... I was totally "LOST" for words!!!!

That don't happen often..

I’m assuming that thread got lost too?

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Nope.. Its still hanging on!!!!
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

I pride myself on having a good sense of direction...but I sure as heck got lost once in some remote NM country.

3 of us guys started a hunt on some private land hunting mule deer. The most tenured hunter in our group explained the hunt to us, where we would end up, and where we would get picked up. As we near the end of the hunt, all 3 of us lose sight of each other. I end up coming to a fence that completely through me off. I walked a few circles before i realized I was lost on over 27K acres. I climbed the nearest mountain and sat down glassing for somebody. Lucky for me, I located the guy who brought a GPS. I high tailed it his direction and tied in with him. He was completely lost too. His GPS indicated we were 6 miles from camp, so we headed that direction.

We finally made it back exhausted. The remaining buddy located the ride and made it out. We were the dummies that didnt lol. Crazy feeling.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Not dangerously lost but turned around due to stupidity. I was on a 1,800 acre lease in Archer County hunting by myself on a part of the property I was not familiar with. It was in a bottom where several creeks converged with a thick tree canopy. I arrowed a pig at last light and it was dark by the time I started looking for it. I was tracking with a Coleman lantern I rigged with a shroud to project the light. I got maybe 150 yards from the stand when I fell and broke the lantern. I reached for my flashlight and realized I had left it in the stand. It was overcast, almost no moon. I tried to follow the creek but it was one of those that doubles back on itself a lot and I was getting nowhere. I usually have a good sense of direction but I was clueless - I just flat did not pay enough attention on the way in. I listened for road noise for a clue but being in the middle of a property there was none. (pre cell phone days, BTW) After crashing through the brush for 1 1/2 hours I found a climbable tree and went up as high as I could. Way off in the distance - probably a mile - I saw the vapor light at camp. I now knew the general direction but the brush was thick and it was very slow going. I was never worried about being truly lost - I would find a fenceline eventually - but I was really kicking myself the whole way for being so unprepared - really felt like an idiot. I finally made it back OK other than lots of briar scratches and bug bites. Never went out again without a compass in my pack

Last edited by jerp; 05-22-2018 at 11:04 AM.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Tracked a pig into the brush and finally put it down then realized we didn't know where to go back out. Climbed a mesquite tree and found some power lines to get my bearings. We finally got it drug out to the road.

In Rome with a cheesy tourist map written in Italian. Finally found a guy with a military uniform on that spoke English. He said get on this bus with me and I will tell you when to get off. Took us right where we needed to be to catch our shuttle. It's scary when you don't speak the language.
Robertt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #12
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

I never get lost cuz everywhere I am people tell me where to go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
PROD49
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

earlier today at Ikea
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Nope.. Its still hanging on!!!!
It's lost now.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #15
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

Elk hunting last year near Glenwood Springs! It wasn't bad, but I did not want to get stuck on the side of a mountain.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Worked downtown for over 15 years... still get lost if they shut down my goto route in and out of this cess pool...
Definitely aint no joke. There is pretty much one road that gets you to I45 north out of there... somehow ended up on Allen Parkway one late evening our first year or so here... was not "happy" trying to figure out how to get the hell out of downtown.

The last time I really remember getting lost was 2am on a 16K acre ranch down near Laredo. We were looking for a hog and got all sorts of turned around. Everything looks the same out there and even though there was a full moon, you really couldn't tell where the hell you were and there is no such thing as walking in a straight line once you are in it and not in the sandero. One of the few times I wish I'd had a compass on me. Had my cell phone but with no map and having not had installed the stupid compass app we were pretty much at the mercy of hoping we eventually made it to a sandero nearby rather than the one 1/2 mile in the other directions...
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Last time I was slightly lost was back in 2003. It was a windy cloudy day and my PH, Tracker, and I were trailing a Blue Wildebeest I had made a poor shot on. Somehow or another in the thick bush I got separated from them. I did not have my compass on me
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

It's a toss up for me.
Either NYC, LA or Chicago in my 18 Wheeler..
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #19
brushhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, McMullen

Night fishing at choke canyon with lake 20’ low makes that lake a lot harder to keep bearings. Didn’t get lost too bad but definitely was a long trip back to boat ramp.
brushhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #20
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

I got lost in Watts at 2 am coming back from a concert when I was 21 years old. I was running red lights hoping to get pulled over. I was not going to stop to many thugs on every corner. Kind of freaked me out. After what seems like forever I found a cop and he showed me the way to the freeway.
Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #21
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
It's a toss up for me.
Either NYC, LA or Chicago in my 18 Wheeler..
Got lost in Chicago on my motorcycle once. It was no fun.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #22
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh View Post
Da Hitman's post (which I thought was funny) reminded me of the time I got lost and scared the bejesus out of myself. I am in my mid fifties now and have been blessed to hunt some very remote country and got myself into some schetchy situations but the worse was when I was around 17yrs old. I had only duck hunted on my own a few times on my own to that point.

One foggy morning I drove down to Galveston to hunt Christmas bay. The fog was so thick you could have cut it with a knife. I arrive at my spot and boy it is even fogger but I figured when the sun rose the fog would lift. I follow my trail to the blind and set my stuff down turn on my flashlight and set it up so I can see it (like my dad taught me) and wade out about 30 steps and start tossing decoys. I only had about 2 dozen dekes so I wanted them spaced out pretty good. Well I toss my last decoy and start looking around. I cant see the flashlight. I started shuffling around and cant find the decoys.

I know in just a matter of a few feet I will come across a decoy or two. Nothing>>>
Water is not getting much deeper but now I am pushing thru the water and doing circles trying to find land. I am not in any immediate danger but I am completely turned around. It's completely black and the fog is so thick I start instinctly start raising my hand as if I am walking into a wall. Understand I am standing in no more than 12-16 inches of water and cant be no more than 40-50 yards from the grass line.

I start to panic a little and start moving faster. About that time a big fish spooks making a pretty big splash. OK now I am freaking out. I know I should not move too fast or I will step on a string ray so I just stop and stand still for what seemed like hours. I start getting cold and I am nervous so I start shaking. So like an idiot I stand there in the dark in water so shallow I would have to lie down in to get wet and I am the scaredist I have been in my whole 17 year life. It gets light enough and I find the spread and get back on semi dry land. I may have walked 100 hundred yards in circle but never more than 20-30 feet form the spread. I can honestly tell you that was the second scariest time I ever had while hunting. Never fired a shot that morning.

Man I think about that time many moons ago and still get a little shiver up my spine.

How about you?
Well, we got sorta lost on the hike back to the truck/camp, packing out Reed's elk!
Not that we were truly lost but hiking with those packs through that brush sucked!! Hi there Raleigh!!
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #23
Ryanm
Four Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan

Dragging a buck out of the woods my brother shot during bow season a few years ago. Weighed close to 200 lbs.. The woods is about 30 acres. I've spent tons of time there, but everything looked the same in the dark. We must have drug that deer in circles for 45 minutes until we realized we were lost.

We always made fun of dad for taking a compass to that property. Boy did he prove us wrong!
Ryanm is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #24
npe001
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Tx

Quote:
What thread is this again?
npe001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #25
44mAG
Ten Point

Was in the San Fransisco area for work a couple years ago. Decided to take my rental car downtown just to see it. That was a mistake as I got lost on those steep hills and narrow streets.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
Raleigh
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
Well, we got sorta lost on the hike back to the truck/camp, packing out Reed's elk!
Not that we were truly lost but hiking with those packs through that brush sucked!! Hi there Raleigh!!
lol, the way I remember it I was only following you guys and you guys got lost .
Packing meat out in heavy brush aint no fun is it. At least it was down hill until it wasn't...
Hi there Paul!
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #27
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
I must have missed that one!
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #28
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

During a shed hunt in South Texas, I wandered around a bit in the brush thinking I knew exactly where I was. Turned around and every mesquite tree looked the same. Topography completely flat. It was April or so and warm enough that the snakes were out (we had already killed half a dozen rattlers), so I started getting nervous as the sun was low in the sky. I tried to just walk straight until I hit a sendero, but I never did.

Like the OP, I started freaking out and just started yelling. Immediately I got responses back and sure enough I was like 40 yards from the truck/road, but not in the direction I thought.

Eerie feeling for sure.
BitBackShot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #29
TCR²
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina Counties and Redmesa, CO

10 years ago on the lease we still have today. My son and I walked to the back of the property (no roads or trails going into this area) to set up a popup on a ridge. I parked the truck at the closest box blind to the area we were going. Got there with no problems. It was getting dusk dark by the time I had the blind set up and brushed in. In my infinite wisdom I decided to take a short cut (or so I thought) back to the truck. The woods got thicker with every step it seemed and by the time I realized I didn't have a clue where we were it was getting dark. The yotes were starting to make noise and my son was getting worried so I stopped and built a fire to keep his mind off the yotes. Called my dad and told him of the dilemma. He drove out to where I parked the truck and honked the horn which I could barely hear. Told him he was a good ways off so he drove around to the other side of the lease.......just when he said he was going to honk again I saw his headlights through the woods......a whole 30 yards from where I stood in the brush. We had walked that close and paralleled the road for a good 30 minutes just couldn't see the road through the brush. He nor my son have let me live that one down yet...
TCR² is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #30
doublearrow
Ten Point

Never been lost but I have taken a scenic route a time or two lol
doublearrow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #31
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County, Medina/Kerr Counties

Never gotten myself lost. Been confused as hell a time or two.

That being said, i have been very lost once (not my fault)....just a few words. 2nd lieutenant, compass, topo map, Phillipine jungles
Thwackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #32
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

1992 Panama Jungle.

What we get for giving the city boy the compass
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #33
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

I got lost trying to find the port Mansfield jetty’s , the current pushed my farther south then I thought and we had to ask a surfer for directions @ the third cut
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #34
pervis
Ten Point

First time bow hunting ever. Went to some public land w my son who was 4 at the time. Cold misty dreary day. Walked in and not even 50 yards in 3 pigs in the open. So I walk around a pond trying to get a better shot. First shot ever actually hunting with a bow, nailed a huge boar broadside. Well it took off running into the thickest brush ever. So I told myself no one will ever believe this, so I'm gona find this hog. Went off into the brush, hog tracks everywhere it all looked the same, that was at around 3pm. It was cold and started to get dark. I thought my cell phone compass or gps would tell me where we were, not so much. Made the call to 911. They sent out 6 officers. All were running their sirens. I could barely hear em. My phone was about about to die. Told the 911 lady if I lost her I would stay put. Finally got to an opening and saw cars go by. Walked out to the road and a police officer was there. He asked me if I was the guy they were looking for. I replied yes. He then asked me if there were really any hogs in those woods. Told him yeah. I always carry a gps w me now when I go there. We made it out just before pitch black darkness.
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #35
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Got lost in my wife’s panties last night....

After the baby, she has gained a ton of weight. Those panties are more like a tent now.
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #36
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Got lost in my wife’s panties last night....

After the baby, she has gained a ton of weight. Those panties are more like a tent now.
Oh wow
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #37
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Sunday morning in Houston after my BIL bachelor party....
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #38
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Once in Crockett Nat.forest.
Once in Colorado forest
Neither were pleasent
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #39
DowneyDigs
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:

It died! I missed it! Anyone have any of the content archived? Asking for a friend...

DowneyDigs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #40
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Never got actually lost, but sure as heck turned around a lot, and start freaking out. Most of the times its down there hunting pigs and javelina. Man I start tracking those dudes and pretty soon I don't know which way the utv is. Pull out the gps ( hopefully I have some reference marked) and then I start questioning that thing, thinking iam getting more lost. But thankfully I have found roads and then the "picture " eventually clears up, and I know we're iam at. But **** that feeling sucks , bad ! Seems to get worse as I get older, I get turned around easy any more. Actually a group of four of us, tracking my youngest sons javelina, we did get lost for about three hours. Every body had a differant way they thought we should go. Arguing and stuff . But again we eventually hit a road, and popped out about 300 yards from the utvs somehow, pure luck. We all carry gps units now, but don't always mark a spot, until we get twisted around.
critter69 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #41
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Being truly lost is a scary feeling. Been lost once in the woods on a 17,000 acre ranch in Terrel County and been lost once in a structure fire... I honestly don’t know which one was worse.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top