• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got my Sika Back

Otten Bros. Taxidermy did a great job.

Glad to get this guy back!

Probably my favorite kill to date

Officially he Scored 109" SCI and Unofficially 112" ROE.

Currently he is No. 28 in North America SCI taken with a bow.

He is the 2nd Japanese Sika I've taken and will probably quit as I'll never be able to top him
    Attached Files

Looks great

Comment

Nice!!!!

Comment

Looks really good! Where did you take him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NotJose View Post
          Looks really good! Where did you take him?

In Bandera County

Strange deal this particular area had a breeding population of free range sika.

I would see them just about every time I went out.

I shot at this deer in Sept. 2015. arrow did not clear the window of the pop up and the arrow struck the deer sideways. Hunted after that and never saw him again although the landowner shot at him with a rifle and missed and his friend shot at what we presume was the same deer with a bow and missed. I was also told he was shot at several more times.

Didn't hunt there in 2016 but he was seen and shot at again, escaping unscathed. I saw him in Aug. 2017 in velvet while out there, could have killed him with a rifle but decided to hunt him....set up a blind and stayed away until early sept.....he comes in right at 7:15, I range him at 28 yards, draw back, let an arrow fly.....using my 20 yard pin the arrow sailed right under him. I was sick to my stomach.

Went back a week later and hunted him on and off never seeing him(shot two pigs and would see his does). I thought I might be bumping him due to having to walk a long way to the set up so I get up really early on the morning of the 30th and sit in the dark for an hour. sun comes up, feeder goes off and his group of does comes in. Right at 7:30 the does look up and I see antlers coming in over the knoll.

He walks around in a half moon circle sniffing the air and stomping his foot. Knowing something was up, he did not feed but was walking around the edge of the trees.

I figured this was gonna be my last chance so I drew back, put the 30 yard pin on him (a tad high) and let it rip.....Wasp Jackhammer blew thru him, he kicked like a bronco and ran until he piled up 30 yards away.

I've had a lot of great hunts and killed some respectable animals but this is one I will remember forever. He got to be sort of a nemesis but I have (or had) great respect for him.

We would see other typical sika stags as well as one other very nice buck but nothing in this deers league

Comment

Very nice. Love the story of the hunt.

Comment

Very Nice Congrats

Comment

Some pics of him alive
                Attached Files
                Last edited by txtrophy85; 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Congrats. He looks great.

Comment

That's a monster.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

just found this pic on my comp.....I jumped a large buck walking back to my truck 10 min after I shot mine, this was taken on the trail cam about month after mine was killed

wonder if its some of his offspring/brother?

Too bad I won't find out, the ranch sold earlier this year, so the new owner may be in for a surprise!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome buck and great story. Always make it that much sweeter when you have that kind of history with the animal.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                            In Bandera County

Strange deal this particular area had a breeding population of free range sika.

I would see them just about every time I went out.

I shot at this deer in Sept. 2015. arrow did not clear the window of the pop up and the arrow struck the deer sideways. Hunted after that and never saw him again although the landowner shot at him with a rifle and missed and his friend shot at what we presume was the same deer with a bow and missed. I was also told he was shot at several more times.

Didn't hunt there in 2016 but he was seen and shot at again, escaping unscathed. I saw him in Aug. 2017 in velvet while out there, could have killed him with a rifle but decided to hunt him....set up a blind and stayed away until early sept.....he comes in right at 7:15, I range him at 28 yards, draw back, let an arrow fly.....using my 20 yard pin the arrow sailed right under him. I was sick to my stomach.

Went back a week later and hunted him on and off never seeing him(shot two pigs and would see his does). I thought I might be bumping him due to having to walk a long way to the set up so I get up really early on the morning of the 30th and sit in the dark for an hour. sun comes up, feeder goes off and his group of does comes in. Right at 7:30 the does look up and I see antlers coming in over the knoll.

He walks around in a half moon circle sniffing the air and stomping his foot. Knowing something was up, he did not feed but was walking around the edge of the trees.

I figured this was gonna be my last chance so I drew back, put the 30 yard pin on him (a tad high) and let it rip.....Wasp Jackhammer blew thru him, he kicked like a bronco and ran until he piled up 30 yards away.

I've had a lot of great hunts and killed some respectable animals but this is one I will remember forever. He got to be sort of a nemesis but I have (or had) great respect for him.

We would see other typical sika stags as well as one other very nice buck but nothing in this deers league
                            Great story and mount looks really good!

Comment

Man that’s cool great end to a story!

Comment

Working...
                              X