Ranger 800 vs. Ranger 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger 800 vs. Ranger 1000

OK Gents, I would appreciate your opinion.

I bought new in 2010 a Polaris Ranger 800xp. I have always thought that there was really no reason to swap because it does everything I have ever asked it to do and more. I also have a great local mechanic that keeps it running tip top and I don't have to pay a dealer to service it. Like I said earlier, I never thought about trading until I saw a Polaris Ranger 1000xp. Man those things are awesome. And I know several don't like the redesign but I really like it. I have been weighing the options of getting a new and having a payment again vs. keeping my old paid for one and just being happy. The new 1000's have like 30+ more horsepower and power steering standard. I use my ranger mostly on my farm and the power steering and extra hp would come in handy moving trailers and hauling feed and fencing supplies. There again my 800 has never missed a step so it hard to complain. I mostly duck hunt and quail hunt so I spend a lot of time riding and carrying gear and people so I think the extra HP and power steering would be nice, but I don't know if it is worth the extra $10k its going to cost me to swap. So what do yall think? Has anyone swapped a 800 for a 1000 and is glad they did or wishes they didn't. Just wanna know your thoughts.

Thanks,

KF03aggie

Sold my 800 crew and got a 900 crew, would never have done it if I knew then what I do now. The 800 was just a better built machine. And you can "hotrod" up the 800 to have more power.

Comment

I know nothing about either (other than reading specs a few weeks back) as I have been window shopping an ATV/UTV.

But based off what you are saying, it doesn't sound like it makes a bit of sense to finance something that you don't actually need (by your own admission) when you have a machine that is paid off and doing everything you are asking it to.

Rule of thumb: things tend to cost more and are less dependable as things are first introduced... I would stick with what works and has been reliable rather than trading into unknown quality issues.

the only time I have traded in a vehicle that was fairly new was because the vehicle I was in was a piece of crap.

Comment

Love my 800 crew........and its paid off.......knock on wood, bought it new in 14....no issues. The day I have to replace something, I'll probably start "souping" it up.

Comment

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you get a programmer for the 800 to get the extra HP? if so that's the route I would go

Comment

Interesting... My 800 is a pile but it was also run hardddd and sunk at least once by the previous owner. I've actually been trying to decide if I wanted to build a new motor for it or just run it into the ground and get a newer one when it scatters parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhica View Post
                Love my 800 crew........and its paid off.......knock on wood, bought it new in 14....no issues. The day I have to replace something, I'll probably start "souping" it up.
                They can actually be tuned like a vehicle. I think it's around $400 for whitehorse tuning in terrel to put a proven tune on it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy a programmer and aftermarket power steering for about 1000.00

Comment

I know several folks who have had trouble with their 800. We actually own 2 a 800xp (mine) and 800xp crew (wife's). I have caught mine on fire, used it to drag trees out of the woods when it was too wet for the tractor, pull countless trailers and it's never let me down. I have had to replace parts here and there, but on the whole they been a great machines. I wasn't tempted to trade for a 900, but the 1000 has given me a wandering eye. They other thing is the age. Mine is 8 years old and at some point the law of diminishing returns with take affect. Getting out of it while there is still decent value in it is very appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      x2! Unless you gotta keep up with the Jones

Comment

I have an Plain Jane 800. I bought new in '13 or '14.

I have beat the thing to death hunting and hauling feed around some of the roughest country in Texas. My deer lease is in Val Verde County (rocks, hills, and canyons). I've also driven it through the sand dunes in West Texas and never missed a beat. Plow right over any brush up to about waist high.

I've gone through 3 sets of tires, serviced it a couple times, and I can't believe it's still running like it does.

I don't know how many hours or miles are on it, but when I had it serviced last (couple months ago), the mechanic at the Polaris dealership complimented how strong the motor sounded and how well it still ran.

The new 1000's are really nice and they make my mouth drool. I could dang sure use more HP for hauling feed. But this one has been so good to me I would hate to buy into a payment and/or problems.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I will most likely hold onto mine for a while longer. But I'm following this thread now.

Comment

I've got a 17 1k crew highlifter. It's a great machine. The only downfall is the steering radius is very wide to turn around. Other than that no complaints.

Comment

I just did this except i went from a single cab to a 18 1000 crew. Even though the 1000 is much longer it performs much better hauling feed up and down the rough terrain on my deer lease. Oh and its scary fast compared to the 800. My 800 never missed a beat though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just make sure whatever you get has power steering....MORE than worth it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X