Who here ranches cattle for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who here ranches cattle for a living?

Registered or not? How big a herd do you have and who do you sell to? Met a lady the other day who has 4000 head of registered cows. I didn't want to ask too invasive of questions but does a commercial rancher like that likely sell directly to a meat market or where?
    Do you love what you do?

Most likely she is selling to individuals and private sales. Is she single?

Comment

What was her name if you don't mind me asking? I'm the 3rd generation on my family ranch, fixing to start this summer start managing part of our ranch after I graduate college, we run about about 400 hd of simmi x angus commercial cows, I currently have 38 of my own. We contract our calves out to a guy that buys them every year, we sell them in september. I wouldn't trade it for any other way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
        Most likely she is selling to individuals and private sales. Is she single?
        lol, but for real

Comment

I ranched for 12 years after college. I still live on the ranch and do some consulting, but don't handle the day to day operations anymore. I do the more specialized jobs like AI, ET, palpation, etc. throughout the year, along with some range management.

Like was stated, many producers contract their calves yearly to guys that stock wheat pastures and such throughout the fall, winter, and spring.

Those guys that run stocker operations will keep buying from the producers that provide good quality calves that grow well and make them money.

There are other ways to market some commercial cattle as well...as far as selling some replacement heifers to other producers and such.

A smart cattleman will market his cattle in several different ways.

Comment

If her cattle are all registered depending on the breed of them she is most likely selling them as f1 crossbred or registered cattle. Man 4,000 head of registered cattle would take a full staff to just do the paperwork. I ranch outside of my full time job. Its a way of life that is addictive. There's something about the smell of the ground and the cattle along with the rewards that gets into your blood. I cant change a babies diaper but I can take a dip of snuff, with blood and cow s*** all over my hands and keep on working like it's nothing. My calves go to a sale barn now we are working to contract them out to stockers. Its a lot of work but its worth every bit of blood sweat and tears.

Comment

We run dorper sheep and black baldy x longhorn for first calf heifers, then second time around to Charolais bulls. We sell on the the auction usually. Straight commercial obviously.

I'd say she's probably commercial and may have a deal direct to the feedlot after the stocker, but not sure. It sure would be a flood at the house depending on her breeding season.
              Last edited by Jmh05; 03-22-2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I run cattle as my full time job. Only thing I know that's dumber than me is a cow, so I figured it was a natural fit. Up until two years ago we sold directly to a stocker every year. Had the great idea to sell boxed beef to local DFW restaurants. It has been a long road and more work and learning than I ever imagined, but i think we made the right decision for our operation.

Comment

I'd rather not say her name. It is registered brangus cattle though. I know it's a lot of work but it is something I would love to do. My dad used to have 100 head but got out many years ago. I want to get back into it on a part time deal. And build a herd up until I need more land. But I just couldn't imagine having that big of an operation and take calves to a sale barn.

Comment

We've been in the cattle business all of my life and its what most of my family does for a living. My folks own the Buffalo Sale Barn, are order buyers and are huge Superior Livestock Reps. There are a lot of ways to market your cattle but the sale barn is the easiest for most small local producers.

Superior Livestock is a video auction where they come and video your cattle on your place and sale them on TV and satellite auction. You get nation wide exposure and cattle can go anywhere in the country that the buyer is willing to pay freight on.

I run 200 head my self and if I could that would be all I did for a living! If oil keeps going down that's **** sure what I might be doing!

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                      We've been in the cattle business all of my life and its what most of my family does for a living. My folks own the Buffalo Sale Barn, are order buyers and are huge Superior Livestock Reps. There are a lot of ways to market your cattle but the sale barn is the easiest for most small local producers.

Superior Livestock is a video auction where they come and video your cattle on your place and sale them on TV and satellite auction. You get nation wide exposure and cattle can go anywhere in the country that the buyer is willing to pay freight on.

I run 200 head my self and if I could that would be all I did for a living! If oil keeps going down that's **** sure what I might be doing!
                      Ha, that's where my dad used to sell all his calves every year. I loved going there as a kid. Do you know Larry Grissett? That's who uses our pasture now. Super nice guy. He used to work my dad's herd and haul them to the sale barn

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                        Ha, that's where my dad used to sell all his calves every year. I loved going there as a kid. Do you know Larry Grissett? That's who uses our pasture now. Super nice guy. He used to work my dad's herd and haul them to the sale barn
                        Yes sir. I used to rope at their place when they put on ropings

Comment

Dairy. Run around 600 head total closed herd. A.I. Select mated Holstein for 24 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                            I'd rather not say her name. It is registered brangus cattle though. I know it's a lot of work but it is something I would love to do. My dad used to have 100 head but got out many years ago. I want to get back into it on a part time deal. And build a herd up until I need more land. But I just couldn't imagine having that big of an operation and take calves to a sale barn.
                            We got out of it back several years ago. We never had a big operation 50-60 head was all. We slowly dwindled down to 10-15 and we sold them all off. With plans to build all new fence in places and start over. Well 5-6 years went by and we never did. Now they are high. Im going to look at 10 head this weekend to hopefully start easing back into it little by little. I just want to get back into it because its something I love to do as a hobby on the side. And make a litte money.

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
                              What was her name if you don't mind me asking? I'm the 3rd generation on my family ranch, fixing to start this summer start managing part of our ranch after I graduate college, we run about about 400 hd of simmi x angus commercial cows, I currently have 38 of my own. We contract our calves out to a guy that buys them every year, we sell them in september. I wouldn't trade it for any other way of life.
                              I wouldn't either if I had the option.

Comment

Working...
                              X