Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some of the nicest leases in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the Mcfaddin place outside Victoria,
    Sure there are good deer, but the best waterfowl hunting in the country, along with quail and doves!

Comment

At 10+ years wouldn't they be on the decline antlers wise?

Comment

Junco
        Any nunley pasture
        The Exxon
        Tortuga
        Anacacha

List goes on

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          Yea for almost 20k or maybe over that I would expect to never have to go without a trophy. Very impressive free range animals there but that's still ridiculous to pay that and not get one some years just because its not 10+ yrs old
          whitetail bucks just dont do it for me @ $20k...

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            Yea for almost 20k or maybe over that I would expect to never have to go without a trophy. Very impressive free range animals there but that's still ridiculous to pay that and not get one some years just because its not 10+ yrs old
            The land has it's limits no matter how good the genetics. I'm sure you could probably kill a trophy every year if you bought all the slots yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
              East Family Ranches

LOCATION Brooks, Cameron, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Kenedy, Kleberg, Starr, and Willacy counties
              ACRES 340,000

only problem is they don't hunt it
              Exactly, have hunted next to the East Ranch and Kleberg ranch in Kenedy county some as a kid and it's amazing stuff!
              Last edited by bltiger; 02-25-2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                East Family Ranches

LOCATION Brooks, Cameron, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Kenedy, Kleberg, Starr, and Willacy counties
                ACRES 340,000

only problem is they don't hunt it
                Sent you a PM

Comment

Waggoner no questions asked!! I helped a friend feed Anipro on that place a few times and my jaw was dragging looking at all the BIG deer. 520,000 acres and no commercial hunting. Just a few a year get the privilege to hunt it.
                  Last edited by sportsman; 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRL View Post
                    Place has some awesome deer for sure, but it seems like members eat their tags a lot with their management plan of letting trophy deer get to 10 years of age. This is why I assume there is such a high turnover rate in membership for such a highly regarded place. Definitely a great place to go watch deer. I would also not enjoy having a constant flood of management package hunters coming through my lease.

My buddy leases the place next door, and it is what I would consider ideal (minus the uptick in oilfield traffic and occasional illegal) if I were in the market. Huge deer and a really low hunter to acreage ratio.
                    Interesting, the Holden pasture of the Nunley Chittim I am familiar with has a management plan targeting 7 year old trophy deer although the top deer taken on the ranch have been estimated to be 9 years old deer. The ranch is about 14000 acres with 9 hunters in all and are the same 9 hunters that have been on the lease for the past 5 years. The enthusiasm these members have towards raising 200" whitetail deer have taken them to a point that they seem to enjoy the hunt more than the kill. This ranch and the hunters on it choose as a group to take management hunters to absorb feed and lease cost or the cost of being a member would double do to the acreage per person. I would venture to say that the lease members of the ranch have set their goals higher with the proven opportunity the ranch provides year after year of producing a true low fence monster. The Holden pasture of the Chittim Ranch counted over 150 bucks estimated to score over 150 B&C last season and 40 of these bucks estimated to score over 170 B&C. The hunters on this ranch have all the opportunity they need to take trophy bucks each season but have become hunters with boosted goals in hopes of finding a true natural monster whitetail. I would agree this is not a ranch for everyone but more so for the hunter that is looking for an exceptional ranch without the drama. A finished hunters dream ranch IMO. This ranch does a lot with kids and families and everyone seems to really enjoy the plan it has in place to the best of my knowledge.

As far as turn over, you can bet there has been some hunters over the previous 12 years that have not been ask back. I know of 2 that were caught a few years ago killing 170-200" deer the day before season on this ranch. A few more similar incidents accrued as well. It takes an enormous amount of patience, time and frustration building a quality deer herd. It takes the same time and patience to build a fun and honest group.
                    Just another point of view.

Comment

The one I currently get to hunt on, only wish it was under my control and I didn't just get invited as a guest to cull does. Some real potential for some monster muleys and whitetails if they could get the chance to grow but when you are a corporate lease a lot of young deer have to die to keep the clients happy sadly but just a part of it. Granted big ones do come off the place but man what could be done with some time and effort...

Comment

It would be the old Brushy Creek place before it was sold and broken up. I'd definitely manage it a little differently than they did, but that place was and still is amazing! Big, low fence, and East Texas! That's my kind of deer hunting there!

Comment

NP Powell ranch between Clifton,and Meridian.Not sure if it's still together.Always heard about some huge deer coming outta there.Plus I've just always wanted to hunt near Meridian.

Comment

X2 on Brushy Creek. A friend of mine had one of the 5k acre pastures when it broke up. You could look at the East Texas Big Game awards each year back then and Brushy always had a few in the top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by JRL View Post
                              Place has some awesome deer for sure, but it seems like members eat their tags a lot with their management plan of letting trophy deer get to 10 years of age. This is why I assume there is such a high turnover rate in membership for such a highly regarded place. Definitely a great place to go watch deer. I would also not enjoy having a constant flood of management package hunters coming through my lease.
                              I've talked to a few people that have hunted this place. Same story! Watch deer and watch his family shoot big deer. Massive turnover rate. Super expensive for what you get. Say 2 years of watching at $20k to shoot a 170-180. $40k for a 180? Not my cup of iced tea.

Nice deer and marketing though.

Comment

4P land& Cattle in Shackelford Co Moran tx lots of really big deer on that ranch.

Comment

Working...
                                X