Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
deadeye
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Investment questions?

If you could invest $30,000 right now for the future what would be your best option? CDs, mutual funds, stock??? other ideas?
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
txdukklr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria

I won't answer your question but here's a couple i'd ask myself

how long can it sit
whats the rest of my investment strategy look like
whats the purpose of this money

example
can sit a very long time
it's my first investment
rainy day fund

would set me one way vs

can sit
i have retirement accounts and other safety investments
disposable income

first example I'd buy some kind of diversified fund that was stable and had decent returns . . . . second I'd probably get more aggressive and look for the kind of investments that carry a lot of upside and downside
txdukklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
deadeye
Eight Point

This would be my first investment and it could set for some time (5yrs or more). Its purpose would be just to increase ( don't necessarily need it right now but thought it would be better then just putting it in a savings account).

I know next to nothing about the stock market so kinda scared to jump into anything with out some advice. Would probably like to stay on the safer side as opposed to taking a lot of risk right now.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Don't buy Facebook. Hope this helps.
Grayson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Charles
Pope & Young

The best thing you can do is let it sit in a savings account while you educate yourself on investing. An an investment I would make probably doesn't sit well with your risk tolerance.

Go to www.vanguard.com and educate your self.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
This would be my first investment and it could set for some time (5yrs or more). Its purpose would be just to increase ( don't necessarily need it right now but thought it would be better then just putting it in a savings account).

I know next to nothing about the stock market so kinda scared to jump into anything with out some advice. Would probably like to stay on the safer side as opposed to taking a lot of risk right now.
Not enough information here to make a recommendation.

Do you have a Roth IRA?
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The best thing you can do is let it sit in a savings account while you educate yourself on investing. An an investment I would make probably doesn't sit well with your risk tolerance.

Go to www.vanguard.com and educate your self.
Good advice right there. A CD is not really an investment tool; it'll generate a little better return than a savings account (not an investment either) will, but you're gonna tie up your money in the process.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

Gold!
Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
mattintexas40k
Four Point

Hunt In: East TX

This is the best advice I can give- park the money in a savings account for now and take Dave Ramesy's "Financial Peace" class- then with that education make some informed decisions. If you have any debt, pay it all off if you can. Here is the link to his website and you can find a class in your area: http://www.daveramsey.com/home/
He teaches how to handle, view money and make what you have work for you.
mattintexas40k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
deadeye
Eight Point

I don't have a roth IRA. nothing except a checking and savings account.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Dannyzuber
Eight Point

Hunt In: 19,000 acres bettween colorado city and sterling city

I could hold onto it for you, I'll request it in small unmarked bills..
Dannyzuber is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
bill1201
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can.

Ammo.
bill1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Scout
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County & Ballinger, TX

30k buy a rental house and get your 8-1k a month in rent ... Done... I have seen many
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Buy land!
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Wayne Meuir
Ten Point

Hunt In: Maverick, Texas

You probably need to seek the help of a Certified Financial Planner. I did that in 1994, have trusted him with my investments ever since, and he has made me a lot of money over the years and I don't have to spend my time trying to figure out what to do.

Land/real estate is usually a good investment, but it is NOT liquid assets that you could get to in an emergency, so unless you have other liquid investments, land might not be your best route. Also, you have to pay property taxes, not a big deal if the land has a Ag exemption, but it is a REALLY big deal if it does not.

I don't know what your age is, but time is your biggest asset when it comes to investing for the future. The more time you have, the more options you get.

Wayne
Wayne Meuir is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
deerplanter
Ten Point

If it's somthing to invest and forget about it until you retire, I would go with Exxon stock. I know the investment planners that were taught one way would say to diverisify but I don't allways agree with them.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
casilva43
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
30k buy a rental house and get your 8-1k a month in rent ... Done... I have seen many
you mean put 30k down on a 100k house? Not sure you can rent a 30k house for 800 plus a month.

If you are going to put 30k down, you will probably only net 200 to 300 a month which is great. You must consider repairs etc. Rental homes are great long term investments. Investor loans also require higher interest rates than a convetnioal loan.

Roth IRA are great. You can make money in the market for 5 years and then pull you original investment amount out at a later date. Roth IRA only allow you to contribute 5500 or so a year.
casilva43 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
tgridley
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays County

I think I would ask investment firm instead of a public forum.
tgridley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Scout
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by casilva43 View Post
you mean put 30k down on a 100k house? Not sure you can rent a 30k house for 800 plus a month.

If you are going to put 30k down, you will probably only net 200 to 300 a month which is great. You must consider repairs etc. Rental homes are great long term investments. Investor loans also require higher interest rates than a convetnioal loan.

Roth IRA are great. You can make money in the market for 5 years and then pull you original investment amount out at a later date. Roth IRA only allow you to contribute 5500 or so a year.
No I mean if you have 30k ready to go you can buy 3 bedroom houses and rent them out ... Yes own a house for 30k ... You cant finance them with foundation issues but renters don't care.... The last one I was sent was in McKinney not bfe
Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
kidkarr
Six Point

Hunt In: Parker/Llano co.'s

Deadeye,
Lots of great advice on here already. I agree with the above statement about educating yourself before you do anything.

Real estate has outperformed Wall Street over the last 100 years as a whole. That being said, each real estate investment has it's own set of challenges. Diversify and get into a few different things, once you educate yourself on them.

Good luck,
kidkarr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
BrianW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Going Public..

Contact jerp,he is a financial advisor and that is who I used for my retirement fund,not quit as much as $30,000.. But he knows what he is doing.......
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Payoff credit card and car loans first then start saving then build and emergency fund, then save for retirement. No sense in saving money now if you have monthly credit card debit.
jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyneutrontx View Post
Payoff credit card and car loans first then start saving then build and emergency fund, then save for retirement. No sense in saving money now if you have monthly credit card debit.
^^^ How much intrest do you have going out vs. what this money will return? If you are paying 5%-12% intrest now on something (car,credit cards, student loan,etc) you are better off using the money to pay that off. THEN, you keep making those same payment, this time to yourself and in a different account such as a money market. After an amount accumulates, decide then where you can use that to earn some intrest.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #24
Maddox
Ten Point

Wrong forum. Go to http://www.bogleheads.org

Honestly, your not ready to invest now. Park the money in a savings account and educate yourself.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
No I mean if you have 30k ready to go you can buy 3 bedroom houses and rent them out ... Yes own a house for 30k ... You cant finance them with foundation issues but renters don't care.... The last one I was sent was in McKinney not bfe
Can you send me some info in that?
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
Scout
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
Can you send me some info in that?
Sorry ;-) call your real estate agent.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
Buckrider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fairfield

I have a lot of my considerably < $1,000,000 in a mutual fund with Raymond James Financial Investments earning about 7% dividend. I agree that paying off a high interest credit card might be a good move first if you have that issue to contend with, however one problem with that is that you will loose any future earnings potential with the $30,000 in an investment if you use the $30,000 to pay off the credit cards. You may never have the same opportunity to invest that amount of money again!
Buckrider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #28
NTex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto

Land or guns and ammo
NTex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
mac1
Spike

Hunt In: All over

Put the money in an interest bearing checking account. Savings accounts these days don't pay squat. Cedit unions offer the best rates. Some are offering 3 to5 % here in Missouri for a certain amount of time. While your money is earning interest take an investment course or class. Good luck to you and don't invest with you hart.

Mac1
mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #30
BigTex.308
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods.

Quote:
In about 5 years I'll be doing the same thing

Ike
BigTex.308 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #31
Mister Bubba's bulletman
Ten Point

Hunt In: The ranch, Granger, NY, CO.

Split it into $10,000 parts and go to a lender and see if they'll loan on a $50,000 investment property if you put 20 percent down. If so get busy finding three good properties that the rent will cover the notes plus rainy day cash.
Mister Bubba's bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #32
trophy_taker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattintexas40k View Post
This is the best advice I can give- park the money in a savings account for now and take Dave Ramesy's "Financial Peace" class- then with that education make some informed decisions. If you have any debt, pay it all off if you can. Here is the link to his website and you can find a class in your area: http://www.daveramsey.com/home/
He teaches how to handle, view money and make what you have work for you.
This!!!
trophy_taker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #33
lunatic'hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado,

Right on! Real estate is a great investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
Buy land!
lunatic'hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #34
Mac...
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney Corp. Where ever I can fill the feeders at!

If you asked me a year ago, I'd say SHW stock.
We've doubled our stock in the past year.

Now that it's peaked I'd say land but you only want it to set for 5 years so that's no good.

So now I'll say a 5 yr CD is your best bet.
It probably won't be much money tho. In fact, the money you'll make wont cover the inflation we are about to go thru.

So my final answer would be to find a coffee can and put your money in there and set it on the shelf until you really need it.
Mac... is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #35
TxAg
Pope & Young

If you want real answers, you need to educate yourself so that you make a decision based on your needs and your goals. As mentioned above, vanguard is a good place to read up. There is an investment forum called bogleheads.org that you could join. It's on the conservative side, but you generally don't see much "bad" advice given.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #36
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

deadeye, as usual, there is some good advice posted, some not so good , and some just trying to be funny . By posing your question on here, it implies that you would be a novice...and therefore should not be trying to make important financial decisions without professional advice. Hopefully you would not cut out an ingrown toenail because you could save the cost of going to a doctor or with instructions received from a discussion forum . A professional investment advisor is worth the cost and should easily pay for itself.

The suggestions to get yourself educated is a good one, however, going to bogleheads.com will make your head spin if you don't already have a pretty good grasp of the various alternative investment options.

I suggest that you visit a professional investment advisor that you feel good about and let him/her educate you on the alternatives and help you make a decision based on what is right for YOU given your individual situation. It will cost you nothing for the visit/consultation and you can meet with several to get different opinions and then choose the advisor you are most comfortable with. You should NOT feel pressured. If you do not know a professional advisor in your area, call me at 800-755-7236 and I can give you several names along with their credentials and years of experience.

No one should ever invest their money based on recommendations by anyone made on a public forum of any kind, knowing no more than was posted about you and your objectives, risk tolerance, experience, etc.

NOTE: I am a licensed professional investment advisor, and I approve of this message!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top