Trout fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trout fishing

Were going to Arkansas in July to spread my grandfather's ashes and do a little fishing in his "honey hole" in Arkansas. I've never been trout fishing. What kind of set up do I need to gather for a trip??? I have a ton of bass, crappie and catfish stuff but my uncle says set up with 5 lb line on a spinning reel. What does the great GS have for guidance??

we fish the blue river in Oklahoma about once a week and limit out every time. We use garlic scented floating power bait on a small treble hook 14-18sz with a split shot 12-18 inches above it. Fish like it's for catfish, you can adjust the length between split shot and hook......I use my crappie rod 7' fast light spinning reel and 5-7lb test

Comment

Were about a mile down from Bull Shoals River on the White River.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
        we fish the blue river in Oklahoma about once a week and limit out every time. We use garlic scented floating power bait on a small treble hook 14-18sz with a split shot 12-18 inches above it. Fish like it's for catfish, you can adjust the length between split shot and hook......I use my crappie rod 7' fast light spinning reel and 5-7lb test
        Can you float the Blue river in canoes and kayaks?

Comment

We typically use ultra lite setups with 4# line. You can but premade trout setups that have the treble and weight setup. Power bait is good, just get a few colors and scents and see what they hit.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
            Can you float the Blue river in canoes and kayaks?
            Yes you can. Bull Shoals state park even rents them.

When we went last year we used in line spinners and I fly fished some. Ultra light rod and light line. The north fork is easier to catch rainbow, and be very careful if they start letting water out at either river. It gets real deep and real fast before you notice it.

Comment

Get a fly rod!

Comment

If the water is clear use 2 - 4 pound test. Ultra light. Power balls, power worms.
                Find some Brass Colored Super Duper. Academy has them and Cabela's can be ordered. Ive seen kinds and folks use every size and line weight you can imagine
                Yellow cheese color
                White
                Orange
                Orange and white
                Brown sometimes
                Trout can be finicky

Comment

I used to fish White hole about 2 miles down from where you’ll be. (One of my best hunting & fishing buddies lives right there on MC 7001)

For pole fishing for rainbows, I’d suggest a spinning reel with 4 pound test, 2lb leader. Either drift a small jig, or bait fish (bumping bottom as you’re drifting) with wax worms, red worms, or power bait.

For larger bows & Browns, use a bass rod with 8-10 test and throw rouges or big Rapala jerk baits. This is a much better tactic when the river is high. July is too far out to tell, but Bull is about 8’ over pool and Norfork is about 10’ over pool, so I’m sure they’re trying to drop them pretty quickly and running lots of water.

Comment

Thanks guys.... Just trying to get ahead of the curve.

Comment

We did a guided trip a few years ago there and caught gobs of rainbows. I also caught plenty at the place we were staying. We used light spinning rigs. On the guided trip we used the little power balls on a hook with a small power bait pink worm. I also caught them on mepps spinners at the cabin. Beautiful area!!!

Comment

Trying to put this year's canoe float trip together but our Texas rivers are not cooperating so far. Going in late May. Thinking about the Blue river to try something different and of course catch some trout. Where are some good put in/take out spots on this river? Are some portions better than others to float? Any good camp spots on or near the river? Thanks so much.

Comment

[QUOTE=quarterback;13345367]Trying to put this year's canoe float trip together but our Texas rivers are not cooperating so far. Going in late May. Thinking about the Blue river to try something different and of course catch some trout. Where are some good put in/take out spots on this river? Are some portions better than others to float? Any good camp spots on or near the river? Thanks so much.[/QUOT

]I'm not sure you can put boats on the Blue. And if you did there are a lot of waterfall to portage around. Might check with the Oklahoma DNR to make sure.

Comment

Not sure the regulations for that area but if artificial lures are allowed I’ve had luck on a 1/8 shyster in SE Oklahoma. Other than that the powerbaits/trout nuggets

Comment

Working...
                            X