Reagan Wells/Concan....no deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reagan Wells/Concan....no deer.

Anyone else hunt near 83 and 1051? We're down towards Reagan Wells and this years harvest has been pitiful. 3 bucks off 3,000 acres and only one was decent. Years past we have been super conservative on harvest, feed protein and only shooting 1-2 does hoping to build our herd. Other years were not that great either. Now it's worse than ever seeing very few deer especially the further west we go.
    Please share your experience if you hunt or have hunted this area. TIA

Hunted on a place off of 1051 last year and only saw a few deer the entire season. Was told anthrax wiped the area out but I don't know if that's true or not.

Comment

Up until a couple of years ago I hunted a place just north of there as a guest every year for several years. It was 1,400 acres up in the hills and did not have much pressure. Beautiful place, but we would be lucky to see 1-2 deer per hunt and were skunked quite a bit. Spoke to the owner this year and not much has changed. Never could figure out why there weren't more deer there. Anthrax maybe?

Comment

I remember growing up as a kid and spending about 6weeks each summer at Garner. I was always amazed at the number of whitetail... I mean they were EVERYWHERE

In recent years, I can’t remember seeing even one whitetail but dang at the axis that are there in their place

I know it’s no help to your question but your question made me think about it

Comment

I hunted not far from there on a briscoe pasture off 83 one year. The whole yr I was there I never saw a whitetail in person or on camera nothing but hogs. Needless to say I left after that yr. I was told it was anthrax, predators, shot out etc. Ill never know but I had a lease north of leakey that was horrible also I left that area completely

Comment

Buddy had a lease by Leakey about 15 years back. Beautiful place but zero deer. Seemed odd at the time but I guess it's normal.

Comment

Lots of places got shot out. Road hunting and old school way of hunting puts a hurtin on what’s left. When you got everyone in the family and their friends trying to shoot all 5 deer every year for the past 30 years it wipes out a couple generations

Deer are still around but it takes time, feed, no pressure

Comment

Briscoe's ranch managers have a hand in the decline in deer numbers. Too many lease hunters and no harvest guidelines have put a hurting on the deer population between Uvalde and Leaky.

Comment

I hunted Briscoe property a few yrs ago 1 mile south of 1051 and 83....it was horrible....we never saw a deer the entire season....im convinced either anthrax or just shot out....

Comment

Thanks to all for your responses !

Comment

I posted about a similar situation on a Briscoe ranch 5 miles South of Concan on 83. 3k acres, 25 guns that we counted ( no telling how many others ), no deer in person or on camera, a few auodad, and 1 hog in person. We didn't stay either. Good Luck

Comment

That’s not far from the area that got wiped out by anthrax in 2019. I bet the place got hit. Some ranches claimed a 90% loss of wildlife.

Comment

We hunted a deer 10000 ac place north of Reagan wells for several years. No hunting pressure on it but wt #’s steadily declined. Well managed ranch next door declined as well. Biologists believed something was affecting the reproduction.

Comment

This is great info....I wish someone had some kinda solid info as to what happened in that area....if it was indeed an anthrax or what....it seems that part of the county isn't doing that great deer wise....my uncle and i leased property west of leakey for the last 2 years that wasn't much better...coworkers husband hunted 2 miles from us and his entire group didn't shoot anything this year either....

Comment

That area has taken a real hit the last 10 years for various reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X