Term Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Term Limits

Didn't want t hijack another thread and thought this topic deserves its own thread. I think term limits are something that most Americans could see as being a good thing. But I don't see our politicians voting themselves out of a job.

What are some ideas/options out there that could make this a reality? Is it just a pipe dream or is there really a chance it will ever happen?

We have term limits. It's our vote. Unfortunately we don't use it and keep re-electing the same corrupt politicians over and over.

What is the definition of insanity....

Comment

Term Limits

Term limits would fix so many things. If I was POTUS id start an 18 month campaign on congressional term limits. Get the people riled up and demanding them. Then publicly in a joint session of congress with as much media present as possible and plenty of press beforehand demand they vote to allow a referendum vote on the next federal election to let the people decide.

That way they can tell the American people, screw you, we are in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Ætheling; 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

The only way I see it happening is grandfathering the current ones in and then applying the limits to newly elected offices. I wouldn't be opposed to putting age limits as well. Once you hit 75 you finish out the your term and have to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Term limits would fix so many things. If I was POTUS id start an 18 month campaign on congressional term limits. Get the people riled up and demanding them. Then publicly in a joint session of congress with as much media present as possible and plenty of press beforehand demand they vote to allow a referendum vote on the next federal election to let the people decide.

That way they can tell the American people, screw you, we are in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Well played right there!
          Like another poster noted WE CAN VOTE THEM OUT! When I noted that to a policy wonk type of guy in DC I know he said point blank. "Nobody thinks their CONGRESSman is the **** problem!"
          As long as they say good stuff and bring home some loose change to the district the American voter will never say their guy must go after a few terms. Just a SAD DEAL honestly!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Well played right there!
            Like another poster noted WE CAN VOTE THEM OUT! When I noted that to a policy wonk type of guy in DC I know he said point blank. "Nobody thinks their CONGRESSman is the **** problem!"
            As long as they say good stuff and bring home some loose change to the district the American voter will never say their guy must go after a few terms. Just a SAD DEAL honestly!
            I know my Congressman is part of the problem and has been for years, I think he's yours too.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
              I know my Congressman is part of the problem and has been for years, I think he's yours too.
              Kevin Brady has my area, the district is oddly shaped at best! He and Trump are tight lately. I was wondering if something went down because he used to be quite quiet. I will be in DC in two weeks and hope to meet with him. Brady had serious competition this last election from Repubs wanting him out.

Comment

I fail to see how term limits will change anything. It will just cycle through a new set of idiots more frequently. Reelection is the only real measure of control the voters have. If a newly elected politician knows they will be termed out regardless of their performance, they won't care much about their constituency.

Would you want the good one's termed out also? Chaffetz, Trey Gowdy, Grassley?

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                  I fail to see how term limits will change anything. It will just cycle through a new set of idiots more frequently. Reelection is the only real measure of control the voters have. If a newly elected politician knows they will be termed out regardless of their performance, they won't care much about their constituency.

What we need to do is go back to the Senate being selected by the state legislators.

Comment

The way I see it now, congressman do what is right for themselves and not necessarily their constituents. It is human nature to want to keep that cushy job. I think they justify it to themselves thinking they can do what is best for the folks back home. When in reality, none of them are willing to stand up and take on the tough issues that need to be dealt with. Social security, medicare, welfare reform, immigration, etc... Nothing gets done on these tough issues because it is political suicide to rock the boat. So they just kick the can down the road. If it wasn't a nearly guaranteed cush job for life, I believe a lot more would get accomplished. If a congressman was on their last or only term, they would be more apt to try and do what is good for their people and not themselves. Once in there they are hardly ever voted out. Like LR already mentioned Nobody thinks their congressman is the problem. That is the reality and it is not going to change. We can either try and change the system or live with it. I think a change is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                      The way I see it now, congressman do what is right for themselves and not necessarily their constituents. It is human nature to want to keep that cushy job. I think they justify it to themselves thinking they can do what is best for the folks back home. When in reality, none of them are willing to stand up and take on the tough issues that need to be dealt with. Social security, medicare, welfare reform, immigration, etc... Nothing gets done on these tough issues because it is political suicide to rock the boat. So they just kick the can down the road. If it wasn't a nearly guaranteed cush job for life, I believe a lot more would get accomplished. If a congressman was on their last or only term, they would be more apt to try and do what is good for their people and not themselves. Once in there they are hardly ever voted out. Like LR already mentioned Nobody thinks their congressman is the problem. That is the reality and it is not going to change. We can either try and change the system or live with it. I think a change is needed.
                      Right. They do whats in the best interest of their long term career.

Comment

I think the only chance of getting it done is through the article V convention of states. Joe Strauss is blocking that from moving forward here in Texas.

Comment

They are awesome and will excel else where too. DA's, DOJ's, etc.

You get voted in on a platform and dont perform on it, you will lose the next election, deliver on what you promise and get out after a few terms (wiser men than me can speak on how many terms). This will draw people who want to help, and kick them out before they get fat and happy. Its when they stay in for 50 years they loose sight and think, "how am i going to retire" that pork flows. The system is really broken and needs bigger checks on their power.

Comment

An age limit might be a better solution.
                            A significant number in Congress are in their late 70's and 80's. Way past their sell-by date in my opinion. 65 years should be a reasonable age limit.

Comment

Never going to happen
                              Those in power are not going to change
                              The rules that give them that power, just like the average welfare recipients will continue to vote for folks they know will keep sending those checks

Comment

Working...
                              X