Rabbit hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rabbit hunting

As I get better with my bow, I want to get out in the woods and hunt. I know rabbits are tough to hunt. Are there many areas around Houston that I could hunt rabbits before it gets too warm and green? Sam Houston NF maybe? I figure that rabbits would be fun to hunt.

We went to the SHNF to go chase rabbits and never found any, however we did come across some hogs. I kinda felt the same way I like to eat rabbits and they are fun to hunt with a recurve, but hogs are just as fun. Maybe we could get another group hog hunt together and go to the SHNF. Krissopp and I found a pretty good place to hunt hogs, very open, but it is a bit of a walk down a pipeline. HMMMMM...........

Comment

This would be fun, another TBH hog stalk. It is bound to be a hoot!

stalk
      Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
      We went to the SHNF to go chase rabbits and never found any, however we did come across some hogs. I kinda felt the same way I like to eat rabbits and they are fun to hunt with a recurve, but hogs are just as fun. Maybe we could get another group hog hunt together and go to the SHNF. Krissopp and I found a pretty good place to hunt hogs, very open, but it is a bit of a walk down a pipeline. HMMMMM...........

Comment

That sounds fun to me. I have been thinking about SHNF because besides the required licenses/permits, it is free. I don't mind the long walk either. That is what I have heard about public land anyway. It is worth it if you put the effort in and go a little farther. Isn't that why we are shooting traditional, for the challenge? I am gonna have to change the title to Hog hunting SHNF!

Comment

I would love to join a group going up to SHNF. I admit that I have been a bit intimidated by the size of the area without somebody experienced to show me around the first time.

Comment

Huntin cottentails with a stickbow is a gas. It's easier to get within shootin range than you might think. They just kinda freeze up thinkin they are invisable. You can get really close.

Comment

Originally posted by bob sarrels View Post
              Huntin cottentails with a stickbow is a gas. It's easier to get within shootin range than you might think. They just kinda freeze up thinkin they are invisable. You can get really close.
              i have noticed that behind my house. I have been pretty close to some rabbits behind the house, not hunting, just goofing around. They just sit there. It kind of reminds me of when I was a kid. When I put something over my eyes, I thought mom couldn't see me. Maybe the bunnies think the same way

Comment

Originally posted by bob sarrels View Post
                Maybe that is why my dad used to tell us he and his brothers used to run and catch them. Running and catching rabbits is still done in some parts of Louisiana as a competitive sport.(for fun of course)

Comment

I couldn't run and catch a parked car.

Comment

Rabbit Hunting

I have been playing with the traditional gear on and off for a long time. I always fall back to my compound though. Last week I got my first traditional kill. I shot two cotton tail rabbits. Here is one. If you walk slow and act like you aren't after them, you can easily get to with 15 yards. I found it to be best hunting the sides of a private road druing first and last light.

Comment

When you guys are ready for another bunny stomp out here at Twin Buttes Res, just let me know. I'll be glad to play guide again.

Comment

I love hunting cottontails. When I was a kid, I probably shot way more cottontails with my bow than I ever did with my .22. Growing up out in the country certainly had its advantages.
                        Bob, you cracked me up with the "couldn't catch a parked car" comment. I was laughing out loud.

Comment

Anyone know of a good place in the South DFW area to go shoot some rabbits with a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by boleman154 View Post
                            Anyone know of a good place in the South DFW area to go shoot some rabbits with a bow.
                            Any old country dirt road in late evening. Cottontails like to come out into the bar ditches and roads to meet greet and play tag.

Comment

so whats a good time to catch em?

Comment

Working...
                              X