No announcement yet.

How a grocery store stop in Clear Lake, Tx started an end to the Soviet Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How a grocery store stop in Clear Lake, Tx started an end to the Soviet Union

A post earlier this year on Houston’s Reddit that mentioned late Russian president Boris Yeltsin’s wide-eyed trip to a Clear Lake grocery store led to a trip to the Houston Chronicle ar…

I hope this link worked. I thought it was a cool story. If you have Facebook it's also on Traces of Texas.

As Americans it's so easy to take for granted all we are blessed with in this Country

Very Cool

Comment

Who woulda thunk it? Cool story.

Comment

I've always thought that was a powerful story - thanks for the reminder. In that pre-internet age, the Soviet Union was able to keep their people in the dark - they probably figured everyone around the world stood in line for hours for a few paltry goods like they did. It is remarkable how there are still those who rant against the free market capitalism that makes all this stuff available to everybody.

Comment

Good read! Thanks AC

Comment

Thank you! I didn't know that!

Comment

...and now I can finally go home for the day after learning something new. Interesting!!

Comment

Read something to that effect somewhere. Said he thought the market was a put on at first. Had em stop at another one along the route and finally realized it was the way it is. '
                Good story. How lucky we are!

Comment

That’s cool

Comment

Fascinating story! Thanks for sharing.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great story.

Comment

I'm glad y'all enjoyed it. God Bless America

Comment

Very cool article!
                          Just think if he stopped into a modern HEB with samples on every other aisle and got a taste of brisket or hatch chili anything!

He'd be applying for his visa!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by rosco11; 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Good stuff! Free market trumps all. Still can’t understand how people don’t see it that way 40 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              I've always thought that was a powerful story - thanks for the reminder. In that pre-internet age, the Soviet Union was able to keep their people in the dark - they probably figured everyone around the world stood in line for hours for a few paltry goods like they did. It is remarkable how there are still those who rant against the free market capitalism that makes all this stuff available to everybody.
                              Ditto
                              I've heard the story a few times and your exactly right.
                              With out American capitalism there would have been hundreds of millions more dead of starvation world wide.

Comment

Working...
                              X