Have you ever ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever ??

Let a good buck pass on opening day only because you didn`t want your season to be over when it had just begun. I did it 2014 and 2011. Both time I regretted letting them pass almost as soon as the walked off and told myself I had screwed up. I decided if I saw them again I was going to pull the trigger because none of the neighbors or hunters on our lease would pass on them. One was a 4.5 year old 8 point that scored 128 and the other was a 5.5+ year old 10 point that scored 130. I was lucky enough to close the deal on both of the bucks I passed on within a few days because I was hunting the week days and working the weekend shift. There was almost no hunting activity during the week where we hunted. I will probably do it again in the future because I love spending time in the blind.

Not here where I’m at. Your lucky to see them at all. Sure is nice hunting during the week isn’t it?

Comment

Last week, and whether i see him again or not I wont regret it.

Comment

Nope..gotta shoot your target buck early before he breaks something or gets killed by someone else.
        Plenty of does and culls to shoot later

Oh, and never pass up a buck on the first day you would shoot on the last

Comment

Not me.... I've always been of the mind (right or wrong)... never pass on a deer on the first day when he is a deer that you'd be thrilled to take the last day
          Last edited by K. Lane; 10-14-2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Passed a short horn older 10 first sit this year. He’s a older deer with a lot of history and has gone downhill the last two years. He’s not a target deer although I may take him later in the year for sausage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
              Not here where I’m at. Your lucky to see them at all. Sure is nice hunting during the week isn’t it?
              Yes it is. I was on weekends for 4 years and my opening day was Monday. I am back on mon.-thur. now but still have 4 weeks vacation left. Do not know what the hunting pressure is at new place so I may not let a mature buck pass if he is decent. Hopefully the rut will bring out that WT.... buck that we all wait for.

Comment

Yes because of trail camera pictures of other bucks. I didn't shoot an 18" wide 6 point because I knew there was one bigger I wanted. I didn't shoot a buck that year.

Comment

Never...I get it done at the first opportunity, period. Too many other factors that can play in and other things to do around the ranch, can then help buddies get their bucks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I passed a nice older eight last year. I asked my thirteen year old if he wanted to shoot it and he said no, you shoot it. I passed because it was opening morning and we have seen bigger ones on our place. I will not make that mistake again.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                      Not me.... I've always been of the mind (right or wrong)... never pass on a deer on the first day when he is a deer that you'd be thrilled to take the last day
                      I agree. Took a 10 pt opening day this year and can always shoot does or spikes later. Or just enjoy the time with others at the lease!

Comment

Yes. He wasnt a target though. I also passed on a big 10pt last weekend and i cant wait to see what he looks like next year...

Comment

Yes,passed a nice 10 point that was at my feeder for an hour on opening morning, because there were several other bigger deer on camera. I never saw another buck the rest of the season. Lesson learned.

Comment

Working...
                          X