FSC Week 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSC Week 40

Scenario: You're walking from your stand back to the truck. It's mid morning, and nothing has moved since dawn. You're weaving through the last 50 yard thicket when you hear noise. The trees are thick, so you drop into a catcher's crouch to see under the limbs, and see a hog rooting. Just as you grab an arrow it looks at you. No time to adjust your stance, it's shoot or go home empty.

Specs:
    - One chance only!
    - broadheads only, it's hunting season!
    - plain white paper with a black dot in the middle as your aiming point
    -13 yards
    - shot is from a catchers crouch, both feet pointed straight at the target, chest straight at the target before you start your draw.
    - you can substitute one knee on the ground if you wish for a 1" penalty
    - but your torso needs to start pointing at the target... i.e. a line between your shoulders is perpendicular to the line between you and the target.

My shot:

The tape measure was twisting away from the paper when I tried to photograph. When I held it tight I was at 3 5/8"

I like the imagination but I cant even get into a catcher's position

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

And the guy who designed this shot is about 8’ tall!!!

Hi, Malachi!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

LOL, counts me out too.

No way I can crouch like that, and even if I could I couldn't twist for the shot. I'd be to busy just trying to stay upright, THEN I'd have to call 911 to get helped back up.

You youngsters have fun with this. Don't let us old farts drag you down.

Rick

Comment

Ok, I'm calling an audible then. I don't want to discriminate against bad backs or knees!
          Alternative shot is to cant the bow over 45 degrees to shoot this. I want everyone to be able to shoot!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            And the guy who designed this shot is about 8’ tall!!!

Hi, Malachi!

Bisch

Lol, hey Bisch! Nice 11 pointer you whacked yesterday! And I'm not THAT tall! I can still walk through doors normally

Comment

Okay, just shot this challenge as originally stated from catcher's squat. Didn't turn torso enough, apparently: 5-3/4" due left -- ear-holed him!!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

For fun, tried a second shot standing, with a radical cant of over 45 degrees: didn't take pic of that, but it was just beside the first one.

So, I couldn't stop on that. Third shot was a charm for the outlined situation -- for me, anyway: shot from one knee with ordinary slight bow cant (maybe 5 degrees): didn't measure, but it's just below the spot. Happy with that.

There is a lesson that I learned from this challenge: if confronted with a hunting situation calling for an unconventional stance -- say something low, through a gap in the brush -- I need to at least get to a one-knee stance to produce a reliable result. Twisting torso or canting bow doesn't work for me -- at least not without specific practice on those things, which I don't think I would trust, anyway.

Last edited by tradtiger; 09-30-2018, 05:39 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Yeah I would attempt to halfway get into position or have to pass. I'm not that good yet.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                    Okay, just shot this challenge as originally stated from catcher's squat. Didn't turn torso enough, apparently: 5-3/4" due left -- ear-holed him!!

You couldn’t have ear-holed him. He was facing to the right!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      You couldn’t have ear-holed him. He was facing to the right!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Yeah, well, Malachi didn't say which way HIS hog was facing, and I happen to know that MY hog facing to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                        There is a lesson that I learned from this challenge: if confronted with a hunting situation calling for an unconventional stance -- say something low, through a gap in the brush -- I need to at least get to a one-knee stance to produce a reliable result. Twisting torso or canting bow doesn't work for me -- at least not without specific practice on those things, which I don't think I would trust, anyway.
                        This is precisely why I like this challenge. It's easy to get caught in a rut with our shooting, and I've had a couple situations in the field where I didn't have the experience to take or make the hero shot.

It's good to know our limits on these twisting angles! Great shot once you got it dialed in! I shoot way better from one knee as well.

Comment

Great call Malachai!

Good shooting Guys.

Comment

While, I can't imagine not being able to go ahead on to at least one knee, I just had to give this a try. It wasn't as hard a I thought it would be.

I'll get over the back & knee pain in a couple of days (hopefully).

You young guys enjoy the flexibility while you can.

Edit:
                            Can't get TBH to embed the video, so here's the link.

P.S.
                            Do I get extra credit for being crouched & canted?

Rick
                            Last edited by RickBarbee; 10-01-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Good shot Rick! Had to get the back brace on for that one aye?

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X