Bison Hunt questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bison Hunt questions

Always wanted to go on a bison hunt, looking for recommendations. Would prefer to go with a trad bow, though a compound is not a auto no. Not interested in a rifle hunt though. I am not looking for a trophy bull, just a cow/meat hunt, although i would want to keep the skull and hide. This is in the prelim stages, so looking for a place to go, don't need too fancy, looking for a reasonable price, but a fun experience too. Any extra thoughts/insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don't forget to factor in the price of a new freezer. [emoji3]

Gary

Comment

I got mine at The Bison Ranch in Pingree North Dakota. I hunted for a cow. https://www.thebisonranch.com/

I recommend you hunt one of the northern states- Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming. I also recommend you go late in the season, preferably December. The hides will be prime then and will make a beautiful robe. I had mine tanned into a robe and use it as a throw on the bed.

I used a longbow that pulled 57 lbs at my 28" draw with 620 grain arrows with Magnus traditional broadheads.. My buddy used a Black Widow recurve that pulled 54 lbs at his 28" draw with 600 gr arrows with Magnus Stingers.

For a write-up on my bison hunt, read post #35 on this thread. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...highlight=book
      Last edited by Phillip Fields; 06-08-2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Jerome, if you find something that looks interesting, and you need any more folks, give me a holler!!! I’ve always wanted to get a bison!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Jerome, if you find something that looks interesting, and you need any more folks, give me a holler!!! I’ve always wanted to get a bison!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          If I find something i will. I doubt i do the out of state, just because of the logistics involved. Just like to find a decent sized place. I have no illusions that it will be much different than shooting a cow, but when you look at what the buffalo runners used to do, it doesn't seem that shooting truly wild buffalo was much different than shooting a cow either haha. That is really why rifle hunting one doesn't interest me, i rifle hunt plenty of other stuff

Comment

Check out 777 ranch in Hondo. They have quite a few and are set up for bowhunters.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              Check out 777 ranch in Hondo. They have quite a few and are set up for bowhunters.
              I only saw bison bulls listed on their price list and they are more than i am wanting to pay. The water buffalo cow, was in the range of money i am looking to spend. That is why i am looking for a bison cow hunt. I would rather keep the cost down and i don't really have a place for a buffalo mount. Do you know if they have bison cow hunts?

Comment

Text me at 361-2272005 and we might have what you’re looking for

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                  I only saw bison bulls listed on their price list and they are more than i am wanting to pay. The water buffalo cow, was in the range of money i am looking to spend. That is why i am looking for a bison cow hunt. I would rather keep the cost down and i don't really have a place for a buffalo mount. Do you know if they have bison cow hunts?
                  I’m sure they have some available. I’ll check with them on Monday. Jeff runs an incredible ranch there. Everything is top notch.

Comment

Working...
                  X