Would This Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would This Work

So my daughter is planning to shoot her first buck next weekend so I’ll want to do something with the skull for her. This may sound ridiculous but I had a thought. Could you suspend a skinned head in a stock tank and let fish eat the remaining meat off? Would leaving it in water for five or six days destroy it? Don’t laugh, I was just thinking.

It’s so nasty doing it that way. I’d just boil it and be done. Water of left in horns will discolor then. Going to take mike than 5-6 days too

Comment

We always boiled ours on the tripod outside..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i just bury mine for 7 months and forget it..

Comment

I built a fire and boiled a fallow and whitetail in just 2 days

Comment

Skin it out, then boil it for a couple hrs, then hit it with a pressure washer. If you don't have a pressure washer then take to car wash. Just be careful around the nose area. I've cut my euro mounts in half doing it this way.

Comment

Skin first then blow the brain out with high
              Pleasure water and simmer head for a few hours.

Comment

I tried the stock tank way a couple years ago. Not sure how to post a link to the thread I created for it, but it was title "DIY euro mount fail" for a reason. I didn't suspend it to keep the antlers out of the water, but that was the least of the problem. After a couple weeks, there was still meat on the skull. Left it for a couple months, and it was covered in mud and slimy junk, and stained. Sprayed it with the water hose and lost a few teeth. Got some advice on here to soak it in warm soapy water and scrub the antlers with a wire brush. Used a soft brush to scrub the skull. Came fairly clean, but the antlers were faded and the skull was still stained. Boiling it seems like more work, but it wouldn't have been in my case. Boiling only takes a few hours, and you end up with a better mount for sure.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Before.

Pulled from tank.

After cleaning.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a boar skull I just put in a feed sack and put it in an old junk car. The flies could get to it but nothing else could. I suppose you could probably tie a rope around the antlers and hang it up and get the same results. Just have to keep the coyotes and stuff from dragging it off and it'll eventually just be a skull.

Comment

That’s not the best way to get a good euro mount. Put in the extra effort to boil it and clean it and you will be much happier with the outcome

Comment

Cold water maceration. Put it in a bucket of water and change the water every other day. Takes a while but it will work. You will still have to do some hand cleaning and whitening at the end.

Comment

Boil it in Dawn, take the meat off, coat it with beauty bleach or HP and you are done. I have done several, I think its the best way. Just don't boil it to long...it will fall apart.

Comment

my dad does it that way. Wire everything off real good and throw it in the creek. Pull it out in a week or so and spray it off. Hasnt lost one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
                              Skin it out, then boil it for a couple hrs, then hit it with a pressure washer. If you don't have a pressure washer then take to car wash. Just be careful around the nose area. I've cut my euro mounts in half doing it this way.
                              This right here. Just started doing the pressure washer (at the car wash) and it works really well. Wish I knew about it sooner.

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Cold water maceration. Put it in a bucket of water and change the water every other day. Takes a while but it will work. You will still have to do some hand cleaning and whitening at the end.
                              Never tried maceration but I don’t think you want to pour out the water that often, at least not all of it, otherwise the bacteria growth is slowed significantly.
                              Last edited by Patton; 11-11-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X