GFK and the Bobcat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GFK and the Bobcat

A few years ago my wife decided she wanted to do a little hunting. Turns out she's a pretty decent rifle shooter. She killed a doe the first season we hunted together. While cleaning the doe i was giving her an anatomy lesson. Well, lo and behold the doe was pregnant. She saw the amniotic sac. "What's that"? I made the mistake of showing her a little 1.5" deer fetus. Well, "i'll never kill another doe". The next year she shot a really nice HF buck. No challenge. "I'll not shoot another buck. But, i can shoot pigs or varmints."

So today we go in search of coyotes. Get up early and head out. Temp about 34 degrees. I drop her off in the blind, park the truck, put out the Mojo Critter Getter, and go back to the blind. No wife. WTH? Michelle?? I'm under here. She had buried herself on the floor under two heavy coats and a sleeping bag. Okay, stay warm. I hit the call, and immediately see something bust out of a draw about 300 yards away. Well, if you're going to kill something you'd better get up. We watch the bobcat slip around and approach the decoy. He anchored up about 40 yards in front of us, and about 40 yards from the decoy. I was able to get some photo's and Michelle got her a bobcat.

GFK? Ghost Faced Killah. She on the pale side of life.

That last picture absolutely kills me. She's cool with it too. She's a killah and a good sport.
    Attached Files

Awesome Blossom and congratulations

That last picture looks like Antlercollectors kitty after the taxi work was completed!

Comment

Cool pics!
      Last edited by Justinfitz1; 02-04-2018, 06:51 AM. Reason: Misspelled cool

Comment

That's a pretty big cat. Great pictures.

Comment

That’s a nice cat

Comment

Awesome pics and beautiful cat. Congrats to the wife and you!

Comment

I forgot to mention that we moved to another spot in the afternoon. A place where we'd seen several coyotes during deer season. Set up and called and not much happened. Finally a couple of coyotes howled. I told Michelle: "Well maybe if they don't want to eat, they'll want to fight". So, i howled back at them them. Two of the savages came running out of the brush below us. Unfortunately they hung up and stayed on the other side of the fence. I had to explain to GFK that even though they were only coyotes, we still couldn't shoot over the fence. It was a fun few minutes though.

All in all a really good day.

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt! Pics are great and what a pretty, spotted, cat! That last pics demonstrates that not all taxidermists mess up the cat's faces! They just happen to be looking at a similar pic!

Comment

Good stuff, Mike! Awesome photography work, too. I can't ever seem to get action shots that aren't blurry, what camera setup were you using?

Comment

Pretty neat....congrats to the both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                      That last picture looks like Antlercollectors kitty after the taxi work was completed!
                      Wow, that caught me by surprise. Dang near lost a lung I was laughing so hard.

Comment

great pics

Comment

Wutang

Comment

Congrats to her. Good looking cat, really shows how well the blend in to there surroundings

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                              Good stuff, Mike! Awesome photography work, too. I can't ever seem to get action shots that aren't blurry, what camera setup were you using?
                              Hey man. Thanks. I've got a Canon EOS 30D, w/ extra battery pack. 1.4x teleconverter, and EF300 mm lens. I think the lens is he big thing. It's a quality piece of glass. Beyond that, i try to anchor and hold still as best as possible. Smaller format images make for tighter, more crisp, pictures as well. Turn on the power winder and let the camera eat. I run most of the photo's through a basic Corel Paint Shop program that adjusts the color, and that's it. It's mostly the equipment. My biggest contribution is to try get as close as i can to the subject, and then anchor the camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X