Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall
Default Turning a "cattle pond" into a fishing pond

Hey everyone,
We have a very small cattle pond on our lease and that I would love to have a few fish in. I have no idea how deep it is but I plan on just chunking some lead weights with a slip bobber in a few places to measure depth.

My question is this:
What are some prerequisites that must be satisfied before turning fish loose in there? i.e vegetation, cover, water quality, determining number of fish given a certain volume of water.

I assume it's habitable. There are a ton of frogs and I've seen 2 very small fish that a turtle was chewing on. I'd love to have some fish to catch and release during days out there. Thanks in advance!
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County
Default Turning a "cattle pond" into a fishing pond

Gotta keep cattle out of it or you're spinning your wheels!

They will trample any and all vegetation.

Skinny

Last edited by Skinny; 09-22-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Bowtech38
Ten Point

My first guess would be shoot the turtles so they stop eating the fish after that i have no clue
Bowtech38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Sure it's not a "cattle tank"?????

Good luck.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Missouri, East TX

Clear things with landowner first. Best start would be to fence off most of the tank and provide a single entrance to water. Even better if you can use cattle panels so that you can change the entrance to minimize erosion. Then let nature take its course.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post

Skinny
I was referring to vegetation in the water. They've beaten down everything around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech38 View Post
My first guess would be shoot the turtles so they stop eating the fish after that i have no clue
Yeah, I've got a son with a .22 that is about to be turned loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
Sure it's not a "cattle tank"?????

Good luck.
Well played.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Yes I was talking about vegetation in the water since that's what you asked about. Cattle will trample it...which you already know as there is no vegetation in your "pond".

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Question # 1 : have you been granted permission by the landowner to convert his cattle watering hole into your personal pleasure fishing pond ?

If the answer is No, I would not go making "improvements" to someone else's land, especially when livestock are involved.

If Yes, then you will need to make sure it holds water. You make have to dig it deeper and wider then add clay. You will need vegetation for cover and some type of aeration. Cows will be your nemisis

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 09-22-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Check out this design:

Floating Pipe for livestock water access

The document link goes to a one page pdf file with the design. It allows cattle access to the water but keeps them from destroying the water and area around it.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes I was talking about vegetation in the water since that's what you asked about. Cattle will trample it...which you already know as there is no vegetation in your "pond".

Skinny
Ahh gotcha. I've only seen them around the edge so I thought you were talking about surrounding vegetation. And yeah they trample EVERYTHING.
God I hate cattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
Question # 1 : have you been granted permission by the landowner to convert his cattle watering hole into your personal pleasure fishing pond ?

If the answer is No, I would not go making "improvements" to someone else's land, especially when livestock are involved.

If Yes, then you will need to make sure it holds water. You make have to dig it deeper and wider then add clay. You will need vegetation for cover and some type of aeration. Cows will be your nemisis
I'm just brainstorming here. I wouldn't do anything without his consent. He leases the land to the neighbor for grazing. Everything would need to be cleared. I was just wondering what would happen if I released a few dozen catfish or something. Looks like I need to look at it in several additional angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Check out this design:

Floating Pipe for livestock water access

The document link goes to a one page pdf file with the design. It allows cattle access to the water but keeps them from destroying the water and area around it.
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

First thing I'd do is get me some worms and small hooks and turn that son loose on the pond with that! You might be surprised what's already in there... I have 2 small stock tanks/ponds on my place. The guy we bought it from had stocked one with catfish and perch. The other, he only put shiners and crappie in it... I've caught 3 1/2 pound bass out of one, and both are full of nice size bream/bluegill.... none of any of those were ever "stocked"... I used to thing the old "birds brought them" myth was just that, a myth, but I'd have to say I'm pretty much a believer now... You may already have fish in the tank...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
First thing I'd do is get me some worms and small hooks and turn that son loose on the pond with that! You might be surprised what's already in there... I have 2 small stock tanks/ponds on my place. The guy we bought it from had stocked one with catfish and perch. The other, he only put shiners and crappie in it... I've caught 3 1/2 pound bass out of one, and both are full of nice size bream/bluegill.... none of any of those were ever "stocked"... I used to thing the old "birds brought them" myth was just that, a myth, but I'd have to say I'm pretty much a believer now... You may already have fish in the tank...
I'll be doing just that!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

How large is it?
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #14
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

As said above, shoot turtles and snakes as you find them.

Stock in Oct so it gives them a head start before the reptiles get active again. I am stocking a brand new pond I have in middle Oct.

Depending on the size and depth limit the species you put in there and ensure you over stock on plenty of bait fish. Fat head minnows and copper nose bream.
Darton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #15
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
How large is it?
Google Earth shows a diameter of 130'. So a circumference of 408' and surface area of .3 acres. Tiny.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #16
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLongball View Post
Google Earth shows a diameter of 130'. So a circumference of 408' and surface area of .3 acres. Tiny.
That size stock it with Coppernose Bluegill. I wouldn't bother putting anything else in it.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

First you need to have a starting point and know what is in there. Does it ever go dry? How deep? Check out pondboss.com.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #18
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

I bet there are fish in it already.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #19
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:

Skinny
........and keep mud in suspension which prevents plankton and algae from growing which are the begaining of the food chain that new born fry eat.

The cattle also trample the fish breeding beds which are in shallow water.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #20
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

If it was me I wouldn't over think it, I'd just go catch some fish in another tank and then go put them in yours. Might be surprised what's already in there

My plan is the Saturday of the opener before the evening hunt to catch some bass at the deer lease and keep them in a cooler with aerator and dump them at my uncles after the hunt
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #21
yotethumper
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

We have several ponds on our place. However, we have one small pond like the one you are describing, ours is only 1/3 of an acre and as far as we know it has never been stocked. I got bored one evening and grabbed some blood worms and headed out not expecting to catch much. I started catching tons of bluegill. I switched to a top water lure and started catching bass. I couldn't believe it. If you haven't fished it yet give it a shot, it might surprise you.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #22
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
First you need to have a starting point and know what is in there. Does it ever go dry? How deep? Check out pondboss.com.
I was told it is a spring fed pond. I've never seen it close to dry in 6 years I've been out there. I'll determine depth sometime during opening weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
I bet there are fish in it already.
That's what started this whole idea. I saw something popping the surface every time I rode by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
........and keep mud in suspension which prevents plankton and algae from growing which are the begaining of the food chain that new born fry eat.

The cattle also trample the fish breeding beds which are in shallow water.
This makes total sense as to why there isn't much vegetation growing and why the water is a little dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
If it was me I wouldn't over think it, I'd just go catch some fish in another tank and then go put them in yours. Might be surprised what's already in there
We thought about this too. A buddy of mine has a spot where he can get undersized bass to throw in there. But I wanted to figure out what to do to make this a self-sustaining pond after stocking it.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #23
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
We have several ponds on our place. However, we have one small pond like the one you are describing, ours is only 1/3 of an acre and as far as we know it has never been stocked. I got bored one evening and grabbed some blood worms and headed out not expecting to catch much. I started catching tons of bluegill. I switched to a top water lure and started catching bass. I couldn't believe it. If you haven't fished it yet give it a shot, it might surprise you.
I'm doing exactly this next weekend. We'll see what turns up.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #24
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Well, it turns out that this does support life after all. There are TONS of these little guys

And a few of these bigger fellas.

And upon closer inspection there is a lot more vegetation that I thought.

Now I need to decide whether fish will thrive if I stock some other fish in there....
Old 10-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #25
TexasLongball
Ten Point

They are definitely hungry! We were catching the tiny ones on a size 8 hook with a 2" piece of worm on it.

Does anyone have experience with fish food/feeders? Can you rig up a deer feeder to throw food?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #26
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Dear god it is A TANK.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #27
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Dear god it is A TANK.
Yeah...my mistake has been well documented. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #28
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

I learned from a wildlife biologist that you don't have to have aquatic vegetation growing all around the pond in the first 3ft of water. We have a bass pond (around 2 acres) and found that we didn't have much aquatic weeds in the first three feet of water this summer and I was concerned that this was going to affect the smaller fish. After the biologist looked at it they said that as long as we have other structure throughout the pond like cedar trees, pvc structure, etc., which we do, then we don't need the aquatic vegetation. He also said that aquatic vegetation actually does more harm than good (I.e. Oxygen depletion, messy for fishing, etc.). Hope this helps. All of the structure that we added last year all have algae and other stuff growing on them and we see lots of baitfish all around them.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #29
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
I learned from a wildlife biologist that you don't have to have aquatic vegetation growing all around the pond in the first 3ft of water. We have a bass pond (around 2 acres) and found that we didn't have much aquatic weeds in the first three feet of water this summer and I was concerned that this was going to affect the smaller fish. After the biologist looked at it they said that as long as we have other structure throughout the pond like cedar trees, pvc structure, etc., which we do, then we don't need the aquatic vegetation. He also said that aquatic vegetation actually does more harm than good (I.e. Oxygen depletion, messy for fishing, etc.). Hope this helps. All of the structure that we added last year all have algae and other stuff growing on them and we see lots of baitfish all around them.

I think a lot depends on what type of vegetation you have. Some vegetation is beneficial where some are negative. One thing that vegetation does is filter water.

Here is a pretty good read.

https://units.fisheries.org/tx/wp-co...anual_2005.pdf
Old 10-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #30
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Dear god it is A TANK.
pond
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #31
Tree Phantom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Striker area

I'll take a ton of these
You have a gold mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tree Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #32
McElroyBowHunt
Four Point

Hunt In: Livingston LA, Sorrento LA

I believe those are green sunfish. They can live in a 4 wheeler rut, and some how find their way into small bodies of water very easily. Great forage for largemouth and people. Ha
McElroyBowHunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #33
Das71198
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

Quote:
Dear god it is A TANK.
Exactly
Das71198 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #34
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElroyBowHunt View Post
I believe those are green sunfish. They can live in a 4 wheeler rut, and some how find their way into small bodies of water very easily. Great forage for largemouth and people. Ha

We've got green sunfish in our pond/tank and they're fun to catch! Very aggressive with a mouth the size of golf ball.
gigem95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #35
steve morton
Eight Point

Yellow Cat delicatessen!
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top