No announcement yet.

Best way to eat the heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slice horizontally into 1/2-1/4” strips. Cut out valves and major vessels (pretty fast work). Lightly batter and fry!

One of my favorite parts. Good with eggs like mentioned above.

Comment

As stated, fried. Have to share a story. Our sitter for Macie has a 5yo daughter. Last year she was here while I deboned one of my deer. I grabbed the heart and she was amazed. Holding it, pumping it the works. She isn’t in a hunting family so this was all a surprise. Then I told her I was going to cook it. She wanted to help and eat it with me. Again she is VERY picky so it was very surprising. Well she ate it and this year when she found out I had killed one, she begged me to let her come help cook and eat it with me. I guess its our thing now. LOL

Comment

I like it cleaned, sliced and right on the mesquite coals. oh man

Comment

Best way to eat the heart

I like to clean it up, cook med. rare with salt and pepper in butter and olive oil. Serve on corn tortillas with variations of grilled onion and peppers, queso fresco, cilantro, avocado, lime, salsa, grilled corn etc.

Heart and tenderloin
          Last edited by Patton; 10-21-2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
            I always sliced the fat like stuff off the top and just kept slicing across the heart. I make my slices about a half inch. To me, heart is some of the best eating on an animal.
            X2

Comment

Jaeger schnitzel

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/ve...ger-schnitzel/

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                I like to clean it up, cook med. rare with salt and pepper in butter and olive oil. Serve on corn tortillas with variations of grilled onion and peppers, queso fresco, cilantro, avocado, lime, salsa, grilled corn etc.

Heart and tenderloin

Wow, that looks fantastic

Comment

I’ve had it fried several times, it’s okay, I could take it or leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post

Heart and tenderloin
                    This looks good. Gonna keep a heart or two this year and try them this way

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                      I guess if you like liver, you’ll like heart...I’m not a liver fan, so no help here
                      Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
                      I hate liver but love the heart. One is a filter and one a muscle. Different flavor and texture
                      This.

I think it compares closer to gizzards if anything.

It's good though.

Comment

Olive oil
                        Lemon juice
                        Minced shallot
                        Crushed dried oregano

Mix ingredients to make sauce and set aside. Prepare heart by washing and trimming away any remaining fat, valves, and connective tissue. Butterfly by splitting open lengthwise and flatten.
                        Season venison heart with olive oil, salt, & pepper and char over very hot fire until medium rare. Rest for 5-10 minutes. Pour sauce over heart, slice thin and serve.

Comment

Although the pictures look good, I'm just not an innards kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
                            Although the pictures look good, I'm just not an innards kinda guy.
                            Boom. The voice of reason. I always figured if I cut open an animal and stuff falls out, it wasn't for eating anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              This.

I think it compares closer to gizzards if anything.

It's good though.

Gizzards are chewy is the heart that texture??

Comment

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
                                Gizzards are chewy is the heart that texture??
                                Heart isnt as chewy as gizzards, but more like gizzards in texture than liver.

Comment

Working...
                                X