Reloading question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading question

I have a few calibers that I've really considered reloading for. But with that being said, I have never reloaded before and have no clue where to start. Any advice or help regarding getting started? I have nothing for reloading so I would be starting from scratch.. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, buy it right the first time and you won't have to continue upgrading over time

with that being said, buy a RCBS Rockchucker reloading kit

I prefer Redding threaded dies

find an experienced reloader and let him teach you the do's and don'ts .... be a sponge

buy this book and read it ...https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...n=new&qid=&sr=

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 11-10-2016, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Another tip, there are some great books out there for reloading and different set ups that are great to start with and adjust from there. My buddy has a book with almost every caliber in it made. Also, a forum like snipers hide would be a great place to frequent with questions as well.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the input.. These are just a few I was looking at

Comment

Pistol or rifle? Reloading for accuracy development or bulk for saving on plinking, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Dagwood View Post
            Pistol or rifle? Reloading for accuracy development or bulk for saving on plinking, etc.?

Mainly 6.5CM for target and hunting rounds, .270 for hunting. Will be all rifles that I would reload for. There's also several rounds that I don't own due to having to reload. So if I started reloading then I would probably buy those guns too.

Comment

Used to reload a lot when I used to shoot a lot. I learned on my own by reading about it. I have an RCBS loader. Nowadays I don't shoot a box of shells in a year so I just buy off the shelf. To me the most tedious part of reloading was prepping the cases. I figure you can probably find some stuff on YouTube that will help you.

Comment

I use this tumbler to clean my brass...

I use this as my cleaning media....stainless steel pins

A drop of dawn dish soap and 1 tsp of lemishine.

Brass looks better than brand new. I do run a quick cleaner bath prior to depriming. Once i deprime ill run it for 4 hours or so. I dont want dirty shelles in my reloader.

I have the Dillon 550 setup and love it.

Comment

Go w/Cajun Blake's advice--and add one of these and appropriate bushings for the calibers you will load. Bullet jump is one of the critical factors in accuracy--and each rifle has its preference. Bullet noses are too variable to be able to measure overall length that way.

And, find an experienced reloader and pick their brain. As far as cartridge case prep--only have to do it once except for trimming and de-burring occasionally. YouTube---tells you what to do but not how to do it most of the time.
                  Last edited by dustoffer; 11-10-2016, 08:18 PM.

Comment

If all your looking to do is reload for plinking and hunting buy a good single stage press like the RCBS Rockchucker. (I have one given to me in the 70's) it's easy to set up and reload with, especially rifle cartridges. Read some of the reloading books, Lee has a very good one I can't recall the version I have. Buy a scale, good powder thrower, a powder trickler is handy but not absolutely necessary. Buy other components as you go along. Start with small batches and pay attention to each step. Reloading is very easy and satisfying. If you start on pistol rounds look at Dillon, I have 2, they're fast enough and simple to operate.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Yea I'm leaning more towards a single press because I won't be doing a ton at a time and won't need to be in a rush.

Comment

I have been doing this reloading thing for about 45 years now. The advice I give any newbie loader is: BUY A MANUAL. Read it. Buy good uncomplicated equipment. Find an old guy that still has both eyes and a full set of fingers and is a reloader. Ask him questions, and listen. Equipment can be upgraded as funds and knowledge improve. Perfectly acceptable results can be had with a Lee whack-a-mole loader, but speedy it is not. You can learn a lot from youtube as well, but it is pretty dependent on the poster. I have seen some stuff on youtube that is unsafe and downright scary. When you finally start loading ammo, remember to K.I.S.S. AKA keep it simple, stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
                          I have been doing this reloading thing for about 45 years now. The advice I give any newbie loader is: BUY A MANUAL. Read it. Buy good uncomplicated equipment. Find an old guy that still has both eyes and a full set of fingers and is a reloader. Ask him questions, and listen. Equipment can be upgraded as funds and knowledge improve. Perfectly acceptable results can be had with a Lee whack-a-mole loader, but speedy it is not. You can learn a lot from youtube as well, but it is pretty dependent on the poster. I have seen some stuff on youtube that is unsafe and downright scary. When you finally start loading ammo, remember to K.I.S.S. AKA keep it simple, stupid.

Thanks for the info sir! Manuals are a must for me.. Ha

Comment

The natural progression of a handloader is: start with a single stage press, and work on precision loading for target and hunting ammo. At some point you realize you can shoot most pistols for a fraction of the cost of factory ammo, then you want to load more quality ammo for pistols and plinking, so you get a progressive, and shoot lots.

don't think you are going to save any money handloading, but you will learn to craft ammo suitable for whatever purpose you need. High quality ammo is very easy to make. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                            X