Game Warden Field Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    I would imagine they were catching snakes to sell as pets, and had probably been doing it for some time if they went to the trouble of setting up a decoy.

Interesting how people will pick and choose what laws should and should't be enforced.

Exactly.

Comment

[QUOTE=adam_p;13637771]Exactly.[/

No doubt they were collectors.

You’re not going to trick a snake collector with a plastic snake. I don’t think this one ever goes to court. Waste of the state’s resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

sounds like all they were guilty of is picking up a plastic snake, cite GW for littering.....

Comment

I enjoy reading these. Thanks for sharing

Comment

I didn't know picking up a live snake was hunting? I thought it might be stupid but not hunting

Comment

Wow! Learned something new today. That is some Bureaucratic BS on the snakes. Catching a non-endangered snake on the roadway is a punishable fine?
              Need a hunting license, a special stamp, 144 square inches of Orange hunter Safety vest. It would be comical if it was not actually true. Absolutely Absurd.

Comment

there are some really stupid 'laws' out there.

Comment

glad they are pursuing the guys catching snakes. Part of TPW is to protect all WILDLIFE. The grey banded king snake is a very popular species in the reptile trade. For years people would come from across the US to collect then sell the animals they caught off Texas roads.

I know it sounds stupid to most, but it is much needed restriction. It took forever to require these to get a license.
                  Not to mention the safety hazard of these people trying to catch animals on the side of a highway in rock cuts. Imagine flying down the road in west texas at 70mph to come over the hill and some one is parked in the middle of the road trying to catch a snake

Comment

[QUOTE=adam_p;13637771]Exactly.[/

No doubt they were collectors.

You’re not going to trick a snake collector with a plastic snake. I don’t think this one ever goes to court. Waste of the state’s resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Notes" yall, they're just notes. You Jr. Matlocks may find this hard to believe.....but they don't tell everyone everything about each case in the public notes! What if the guys had been caught selling the state's resources (it's not just deer, yall) and they want to tack on a few hunting charges to larger charges?

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
                        I haven't posted one of these in a while...

I had no idea you needed a license for snakes. just never thought about it I guess.
                        I hadn't heard of it either until a co-worker was telling me he needed to go get his license to go "herping"...yes...it's an actual term . He and his sons liked to go looking for different species of lizards & snakes and handle them...apparently there's a license for that.

After dark, the wardens deployed the fake snake along a stretch of river road in the southeastern part of the county popular among reptile collectors. Several vehicles had driven by the decoy without reaction before one took the bait just before 11 p.m...The passenger realized the snake was a fake, and let his partner know, but was told to pick it up anyway. As the passenger picked up the decoy, the wardens came out of the brush and announced themselves.
                        1. How is this not entrapment?
                        2. If the passengers explain to the judge they knew it was fake weren't they just picking up trash on the road and clearing it of litter?
                        Last edited by JonBoy; 09-21-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post

1. How is this not entrapment?
                          2. If the passengers explain to the judge they knew it was fake weren't they just picking up trash on the road and clearing it of litter?
                          It is entrapment. Wardens do it all the time. It's no different than a fake deer set up to catch road hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            It is entrapment. Wardens do it all the time. It's no different than a fake deer set up to catch road hunters.
                            The difference being when someone road hunts a decoy they usually discharge a firearm from a public road which is illegal regardless of why they discharged it. In this case you have individuals stopping to observe something on the side of the road which they identified as fake and then removed the obstacle from the roadside (which may or may not be illegal depending on how thin you want to stretch the "stopping on a public roadway" charge).

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                              The difference being when someone road hunts a decoy they usually discharge a firearm from a public road which is illegal regardless of why they discharged it. In this case you have individuals stopping to observe something on the side of the road which they identified as fake and then removed the obstacle from the roadside (which may or may not be illegal depending on how thin you want to stretch the "stopping on a public roadway" charge).
                              Yeah, I'm confused on that one to. The guy did have the herp endorsement, so he might have been familiar to the GW, but maybe not.
                              I don't see how picking up a rubber snake, is breaking the law though. What if you weren't hunting snakes at all, but stopped to take a pic, realized it was fake, and thought, hey, my son would like this.
                              Bam, heres a charge sir, have a nice day, or do you think they would let you go in that instance?
                              Most likely a higher fine, due to no herp endorsement.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post

I had no idea you needed a license for snakes. just never thought about it I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X