Wet shotgun shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet shotgun shells

I had about one hundred shells get heavily rained on. Do they absorb rainwater or are they usable. Some have theater primers if they are not usable how do you destroy them?

I bet they are ok

Comment

They are fine. I’ve had my blind bag sitting in the floor of a boat that took on water in a rough bay and then get poured on with rain. My blind bag laws literally filled with water and I shot those Rio’s for 2 more seasons

Comment

Are they plastic hulls? 99% chance they go bang just fine. If you shoot and one doesn’t, keep the gun pointed in a safe direction for a minute or so then eject the shell. Cut it open, dump the powder on the ground and throw the pieces away.

Comment

Waterfowl shells. yes.....

Dove/game loads....not so much 100%. The primers are not sealed so they can absorb water into the powder area. All I can tell you is to shoot them and if you hear a bloop, do not pull the trigger again before you clear that barrel. Blew up the end of a shotgun barrel as a college kid doing that. Wad got stuck after a "wet shell bloop" and I didn't realize it. Luckily neither I nor the two guys standing next to me lost an eye or got hit with the shrapnel.

Comment

Good chance they are fine, if they have dried out. I have two cases that have been under water and they work just fine.

Comment

The only wet shell I ever tried to shoot after it dried out was a .410 shell I forgot in my jeans pocket and washed it. It just went click....I don't know how you destroy a lot that won't work. I just threw it in the weeds I think.

I guess you could cut them all open and dump the shot and everything out and throw them away. If they won't go off I don't suppose it matters much probably.

Comment

I bet it will be fine

Comment

Throw them away for hunting. Not worth the chance.

Comment

Ive never had a problem with wet shells or ones that have been wet then dried. Dove or duck or anything else.

Comment

Mine get wet all the time. Never had a problem shooting them.

Comment

I believe my dad took some old shotgun shells that were old, rusted and rained on to the local police department. I want to say they accepted them if I recall but this was years ago.

Comment

Be extra careful if they are steel shot. The shot can actually rust together over time and more or less make a steel "slug" when fired. Probably wouldn't happen but there have been instances where a barrel was destroyed due to this.

Comment

Shoot them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Tex View Post
                              I believe my dad took some old shotgun shells that were old, rusted and rained on to the local police department. I want to say they accepted them if I recall but this was years ago.
                              I found a few boxes of shotgun shells in a shed of a house we were renting. I didn't hunt at the time, and wasn't quite sure if the shells were factory or reloads. I called the local police department, and it took a while but I was finally connected to the supervisor of the bomb squad. I explained the situation to him and asked if he wanted the shells for disposal. He very enthusiastically said he wanted the shells for training purposes, and sent a patrol car to the house for pick-up. Now this was perhaps 20-25 years ago, but I imagine they would still want old ammo for training purposes, and a phone call doesn't require much effort.

To the OP, my guess is that the ammo will work just fine. Previous advice about "hang fires" and ensuring there are no barrel obstructions should be heeded.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X