Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staining fence any helpful suggestion

Hey guys,

Seems like there is knowledge on just about every home project on here so I thought it would be wise to consult the green screen.

Just wanted to see if there are any important dos and don’t when it comes to staining a fence. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Do wear long sleeved clothing

Comment

im guessing its a wood fence? If so dont forget to block off the house and anything else you dont want stain on. This includes the eaves of the roofline. I used large roll of construction paper and tape.

Comment

Wind can be an issue try to pick a day it’s not real windy

Comment

An airless sprayer will help speed up the process. The small hand held ones have to keep getting filled up depending on how much fence line you have. Prep the house and surrounding area. Over spray can get everywhere. also where a mask.

Comment

Use a regular household pump sprayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bleach the fence first 35/65 should work, then use a weed pump sprayer. Works great. I prefer oil based stain since it doesn’t streak

Comment

Don't do what I did

Comment

I couldn’t get a regular pump sprayer to spray semitransparent stain. We brushed it on but it took forever. I bought an airless sprayer at harbor freight for $160 that I’ll use to spray the other side.

Comment

Ya semi transparent is hard to spray on even, oil based transparent is much simpler

Comment

Hire a painter...

Comment

Backpack Sprayer from Lowe's. Have another person behind you with a roller. Very easy process. I recently stained 68 Duplexes and didn't his process. Would do it all over again no different.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice!

Comment

Simple. Semi transperant oil based stain, cheap pump up sprayer and a brush to even it up once you spray it. Airless atomizes it to much and goes everywhere

Comment

My wife did ours with Ready Seal stain from big box stores and a Wagner sprayer. No runs. Turned out great. You must cover anything around you don't want stained. This does not dry like spraying automotive paint.

Oh...and 2 coats, wet on wet. We have about 150 ft of 8 ft fence. She did both sides. Took about 2 days.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X