Crossbow bowfishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbow bowfishing?

I have a buddy that asked me about setting up a crossbow to bowfish with. He has a lake house with giant carp setting up shop off his dock and wants to get rid of them. He's no spring chicken and can't pull back a compound bow.

Other than a $280 option I found online for a kit, has anyone else modified a crossbow for this?

I'd also like to know, subscribed.

Comment

The last time I was at the bow shop, a guy came in asking about this. They told him it wasn't a good idea. I can't remember for sure the reason they gave, but I think it had something to do with not being able to turn it down enough and it would go too far into the ground. I was busy with the guy setting up my bow, so I'm not exactly sure what all they discussed. It may have just been the one he was trying to use. The guy did leave empty handed after they recommended he find a cheap recurve somewhere. They weren't just trying to get him to buy their stuff.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

His best bet would be to have one of us here on TBH come out and have some fun!

Comment

Look at AMS. I believe they have a kit that mounts to crossbows. I have also seen a small handheld crossbow. Had a guy bring one on a trip once and it was pretty neat.

Comment

Just use a spear fishing set up . Prefer rubber bands

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
              Look at AMS. I believe they have a kit that mounts to crossbows. I have also seen a small handheld crossbow. Had a guy bring one on a trip once and it was pretty neat.
              That's the $280 option I was referring to.

Comment

Bowfishing compounds are like 30-50 lbs mine is at 40 and kills em like crazy.

Comment

A crossbow for bowfishing is generally not a good idea... They shoot so hard, they blow right through the biggest of fish and tend to stick arrows in the mud, stumps, logs, etc. that generally require you to get in the water to get them dislodged, or you have to cut the line and leave that expensive arra behind. Plus they are VERY SLOOOOW to shoot, then get a follow up shot off... Compound bows are not necessary but if you do want to shoot one, the Mathews Genesis bow makes a very good one to shoot. They have an infinite draw length and almost anyone can draw them. They pack plenty of punch to impale the biggest carp that swims in the water.

I stuck and landed the gar in the pic below with one arrow from an old Ben Pearson 40# recurve. The arrow went clean through the fish and buried up to the nock. This fish was 7'-7" long and and had a 36" girth!

I'd recommend a 25# target recurve set up with an AMS retriever with the arrow attached with the AMS safety slides for a beginner (or for experienced) bowfisher. I've been bowfishing for upwards of 40 years and I won't use an arrow that is not equipped with a safety slide. Not only does it make it safer to shoot without fear of snap-back, it virtually eliminates pass thrus on small fish. If you didn't know it, a pass thru on a fish makes it a real pain to get the string/arrow back thru the hole to get the fish off the line. And unless you're using kevlar line, it is a good way to lose an arrow to a cut line when shooting gar. Their armor will cut the dacron and similar lines pretty easily.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-7-Gar-003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	24550846

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-7-Gar-002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	24550847

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                    That's the $280 option I was referring to.
                    Holy smokes. That is insane.

Comment

They also make a bowfishing sling shot that may be easier for him to pull back

Comment

rod @reel with carp bait on treble hooks and just drag them on the bank. He could put them out on 300# handlines tied off to the dock and wouldn't even have to sit out there.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                          They also make a bowfishing sling shot that may be easier for him to pull back
                          This is intetesting

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

http://bad@$$slingbows.com/tag/bowfishing/

Have to change the obvious in tbr Link

Comment

Working...
                            X