AC problem ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC problem ???

Son called and their AC unit outside was not running and found out the inside is not running. Then he found a sink backed up apparently from the AC drip pan drain. He sees a set of wires running from the drain line. Is there a switch that turns the unit off if it detects a drain problem. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
    Son called and their AC unit outside was not running and found out the inside is not running. Then he found a sink backed up apparently from the AC drip pan drain. He sees a set of wires running from the drain line. Is there a switch that turns the unit off if it detects a drain problem. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Yes, there is often a switch on the secondary drain line. Need to find and diagnose the cause of the water though.

Comment

Sounds like pan drain is stopped up and a safety float has it shut off ( I’m no ac guy) get drain line blown out ( or shop vac) and get pan drained

Comment

Ya he cleaned the drain out and all is dry. He turned the main breaker and thermostat off and let it set a bit and turned back on........ nothing happened.

Comment

Told my son I was suspicious that the safety switch on the drain might be stuck and sure enough he pulled up on it and it came on!!!
          Thanks for the inputs

Comment

Those switches are notorious for going bad, They make a sensor to go in the pan that is a lot more reliable. I just had my whole system replaced and made sure to get the sensor installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
              Those switches are notorious for going bad, They make a sensor to go in the pan that is a lot more reliable. I just had my whole system replaced and made sure to get the sensor installed.
              I have a sensor in the drain pan of both my AC units and they run through my home alarm system. If they get wet my alarm panel and phone tell me. It did the job last summer as my primary and secondary got clogged and it let me know. Saved me a lot of money from what could have happened with my AC units in my attic.

Comment

Working...
              X