Who preps for an EMP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who preps for an EMP?

I did a search but didn't see this topic come up. There was a SHTF 30 minute packing thread.

I am listening to a book on tape while I drive(not an actual tape) which is about an EMP over the US.

Anyone prepping for this scenario? Or a Solar flare? Same end result.

It definitely has me thinking. At a minimum I am going to build a "Get Home" bag for the car. I'm usually about 34 miles from home in the Galleria area of Houston. It would be a long walk, but google maps says I'd be home in 12 hours. Not sure how fast I walk or what pace google thinks I walk.

If at work.. i'm knocking some ******* off his bicycle.. riding it up the block and waiting for the power to come back on in a bar before the beer goes warm.
    I'm 60+ miles from casa.
    Really didn't need to take the bike..but it would feel real good to knock one of those guys on their asses.

Comment

I haven't...but have thought about it a lot. Look up Faraday cages (not sure on spelling) for protecting sensitive electronics. If all the experts are correct, only older vehicles without computer boards will work after a big solar flare or EMP.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pride View Post
        I did a search but didn't see this topic come up. There was a SHTF 30 minute packing thread.

I am listening to a book on tape while I drive(not an actual tape) which is about an EMP over the US.

Anyone prepping for this scenario? Or a Solar flare? Same end result.

It definitely has me thinking. At a minimum I am going to build a "Get Home" bag for the car. I'm usually about 34 miles from home in the Galleria area of Houston. It would be a long walk, but google maps says I'd be home in 12 hours. Not sure how fast I walk or what pace google thinks I walk.

Are you listening to One Second After? Great series.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
          Are you listening to One Second After? Great series.
          I listened to that one last year. Then The Journey Home and now The Search. Both by Jeff Motes

Just got me thinking

A couple years ago we had fire heading our way. When we started getting ash falling on the house we hooked up the camper and started loading what we would need to live without our house. We would have felt pretty stupid to not get ready when you see it's coming.

Same kind of thing here. If it happens and you don't have a plan and it does happen, you're going to feel stupid.

I don't have much of a plan so far. Just looking to get home first. Since we live in an area that does get hurricanes and power outages we do keep some extra food and supplies on hand.
          Last edited by Texas Pride; 08-01-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

has anyone actually see or heard of a real life EMP?
            Broken Arrow, oceans 11, and other movies dont count.

Most of the questions I receive on my website AskaPrepper.com are about EMP’s and Faraday Cages. What I realized is that there are a lot of EMP myths generated by movies and even some internet sources. The situation is so bad that the United States Air Force Space Command commissioned Bill Nye to make a […]

dont judge me.. i google a lot of ****..

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
              has anyone actually see or heard of a real life EMP?
              Broken Arrow, oceans 11, and other movies dont count.

Most of the questions I receive on my website AskaPrepper.com are about EMP’s and Faraday Cages. What I realized is that there are a lot of EMP myths generated by movies and even some internet sources. The situation is so bad that the United States Air Force Space Command commissioned Bill Nye to make a […]

dont judge me.. i google a lot of ****..
              Nope. Just seems like it could be easy for one of these small sandy countries that don't like us to send a small nuke above the US.

Comment

Don't have time to worry about anything like that. Especially only 1 month till dove season. LOL It is all in Gods hands anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pride View Post
                  Nope. Just seems like it could be easy for one of these small sandy countries that don't like us to send a small nuke above the US.
                  I was reading some stuff about EMPs a while back. According to what I was reading, this was the only way to have one strong enough to affect short lines in electrical stuff. Radiation fallout will be a bigger issue if that is the case.

Comment

Revolution tv show was great . Pretty much the same idea .

Does any one recall the massive rolling black out back in 2003 along the eastern part of the county ??

My father worked for Detroit Edison at that time .

Short version he was the reason they got power back on as soon as they did . His plant was the ONLY plant that can restart without any other help . Sounds funny but without power 99% of all power plants cannot restart on their own . Older plant that was in fact able to be off the " grid " and run and be able to re start others ..
                    Some crazy plan from way back when they though a nuke would be an issue and built it to withstand all kinds of weird crap , hence the plant was able to re start .. Funny think it had NEVER been tested though .

HUGE long reason why but people think that many things can get going again , not really . But a world without power is a massive issue for sure

Comment

Honestly I never put a great deal of thought into, my career, vehicle and house are all deeply ingrained in the digital world. I’ll be fine without any of it, not sure how my wife and kids will fare though.

Most my commute is rural, so I’m not overly concerned with being able to get back home. Past that it’s just a matter of food and water and frankly I don’t have the space to store either

Comment

if it crashes I will get hot... I do like my ac,,, however I have bows and arrows the knowledge and tools to repair them,,, I can hunt in the yard and drink from the pond with my filter straw,, and swim in the other pond to cool off,,,, and the knives are all sharp,, matches and fire wood,,,, fishing poles and baits,, perch traps and a nice creek 1 mile away,,, I will get through,,, without comfort,, but through,..... but in the end it is just another thing to go through...

Comment

I may be a walking EMP. Every time I go to check out at a store the cash register acts up and they have to call a manager.

Comment

Y2K was supposed to be the end for computers

Comment

So how many purposely have dial locks on safe because this?

Comment

Working...
                              X