Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever painted their garage floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont go cheap, you'll regret it in the long run. And definately dont use water based coatings. I bought mine from epoxy master. Put it on the morning after I signed the papers on our house, after prepping the night before. Go buy plenty of chips at lowes and some aerator shoes to walk around with. The only issue I had was when i used a floor jack. Cracked it where the wheels sat (pro tip: the grey color matches jb weld perfectly). As with anything, its all in the preperation

Comment

im interested in all the feedback also.

i bought enough of this kit to do mine, just waiting on the builder to finish so i can step in
      http://www.lowes.com/pd_609420-90-28...ustoleum+epoxy

Comment

I did an epoxy paint on the garage years ago, we cleaned it well before, let it dry and rolled it on. It's still there.

For the peeling, I'd be careful on painting over epoxy, first I'd try a power washer first to see if any more comes off. Then follow the new coating's manufacturer instructions to paint over something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich202010 View Post
          Try epoxy-coat.com my boss swears by it. Said its the same material they use for airplane hangers
          That stuff is pricey!

Comment

Been painting for 35 years, have done maybe 50 floors. for new floors power wash and let dry for a few days then paint, some people will tell you to etch it but I have never and have had no problems. for floors that are peeling all you can do is power wash and repaint, try and get the same type of paint(oil or latex) if you know what's on your floor. Oil over latex is ok but latex over oil is not good. if you don't know what's on the floor just get the oil base.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue1 View Post
              im interested in all the feedback also.

i bought enough of this kit to do mine, just waiting on the builder to finish so i can step in
              http://www.lowes.com/pd_609420-90-28...ustoleum+epoxy
              I'm not familiar with that "Restore" brand of Rustoleum but based on the price you should be good to go. I didn't see anywhere where it mentions being "water based" so I assume it's solvent based? Just not sure why the specs say it's low odor? The stuff I use will knock you on your butt if not ventilated.

Comment

I'm not familiar either, and there isn't a lot I've found on the internet. Didn't appear to be a big hit, I'm thinking because of the price. Well I'm hoping it was the price and not the quality

Comment

Haven't done it yet, but certainly on the list.

One thing I remember reading when I was doing research was to not use the paint chips if you actually work on stuff in the garage. Any nut\bolt you drop is instantly camouflaged and a PIA to find.

Comment

Prep, Prep.......did I say Prep? The more time you spend here, the better your results and longevity of the coat. Don't try and short cut anything.

Comment

I did my shop. I bought an industrial strength epoxy. It could be tinker almost any color. I added the shark grip for texture. I have been impressed with it. Much easier to keep clean. It was not cheap. $100 per gallon of each part. 2 gallons covers 500 Sq ft. I would do it again if I had another shop.

Comment

My house is still being built and I'm interested in doing this too. The concrete guys didn't float the garage floor smooth like I have seen in most homes. Its sort of rough like a sidewalk. Will this work well with an epoxy paint for the garage? Any idea on floor prep required for this?

Comment

My Garage floor is dirty after 14 years of multiple projects.
                          What is the best way to thorougnly clean the floor?

Comment

Originally posted by Neuse View Post
                            My Garage floor is dirty after 14 years of multiple projects.
                            What is the best way to thorougnly clean the floor?
                            I would start with a pressure washer before acid etching. Muratic acid and water.

I found this on YouTube...this guy talks about preparation being the key.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7OYsOHIKNVE"]How to Paint Your Floor With EpoxyShield - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

We originally painted our garage floor with the epoxy paint made for it. Last year we decided to redo it and went back with VCT. I definitely prefer the VCT...much easier to clean.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                                We originally painted our garage floor with the epoxy paint made for it. Last year we decided to redo it and went back with VCT. I definitely prefer the VCT...much easier to clean.
                                Tell me more...

Comment

Working...
                                X