Beach Cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beach Cart

We went to Galveston a few weeks ago, and had a tough time carrying everything we needed. Wound up leaving a lot in the condo. Upgraded the beer cooler to a RTIC 20 so there’s no just carrying it, plus the rest of our stuff. There are great options to buy, but they are pricey. No, the irony of wanting a cheap way to carry a $130 cooler that barely holds a case of beer plus $30 beach chairs (including one for the 19 month old who needs her own) is not lost on me. But that’s the scenario. Needs to roll over sand, transport as small as possible, and carry the main items. I’ll post what I did below. I’m about $35 in, not counting stuff I had laying around from other projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked around online and saw a lot of pvc ideas. Good thoughts, but not easy to transport. Saw one pier cart made from a hand golf cart- genius. Off to goodwill, $6 later. Bonus points that it’s made in the USA and super sturdy.

I also needed aluminum material, which was somewhat pricey and I wanted an adjustable base. Sometimes it will have just the cooler, sometimes a bag of toys and towels for the kiddo. I had no idea how I was going to make that work. Next to the cart was a set of crutches for another $6. Bingo.

Just cut a couple rivets with the dremel. Face shield kids, protect your eyes.

Comment

Wheels were the next problem. No way they would roll in sand. I have an awesome ctug. Kayak cart with removable wheels. Diameter is perfect, but their need for a 1” axle is a problem. Barstock, epoxy and a drill press got me there. You machinists will see the holes aren’t perfect Center. As my grandfather always said, this ain’t no church.

Quick connect pin so I can move the wheels.

You can see the platform here too. Disregard the other part, that got reengineered.

Comment

Almost done. Wheels worked out perfect, but needed a washer. I needed it yesterday and didn’t know where to begin to find a 2” washer with a 1” Center hole

I had some cutting board material left from a kayak project, ran it through the table saw for thickness and width. Screwed it to a scrap board to hold everything in place.

1” Forstner bit in the Center which left a nice Center dimple as well. Then a 2” hole saw using that Center mark.

Much better.

Comment

Cooler support bar with a strap out of my elk hunting bin. 2nd/3rd revision. First wasn’t wide enough and strap had to be attached not looped.

Last thing was an arm for the chairs. Stainless shelf bracket from amazon I ordered for the grill. Thought I ordered two, but was one. Has been tossed in the corner. Folds and was easily attached with self tapping screws.

Happy accident, the hand pad from the crutch for perfect on the handle.

Final product

Folded for transport.

Comment

Nice job! I could use one of these for all the crap my wife wants me to carry to the beach...

Comment

Texas Bob:

Nice work. You sir, are a genius and my hero!

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Thanks guys, I’m pretty happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
                  You sir, are a genius and my hero!
                  LMAO...X2...exceptional redneck intellectual power.

Comment

I like it, nice project!

Comment

Very nice...and creative

Comment

Only thing cooler than that cart is the Blackberry Smoke sticker!

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider323 View Post
                          Nice job! I could use one of these for all the crap my wife wants me to carry to the beach...

Very nice [emoji1360]

Comment

Thanks guys. planning to test it out this weekend and ill report back. Has to work better than me looking like a Sherpa going to base camp. Love me some blackberry smoke Agdog. I really want to see them live, has to be over the top.

Comment

That is cooler than the other side of the pillow, well played sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X