No announcement yet.

Weld Bead Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I'm at home, Ill be back in the office on Friday after the jetlag wears off a but more....

Comment

What's a weld bead? Can ya put them on a string?

If I were but-welding 1/8"-2x2" sq tubeing I would not grind the weld down. And like Dale said about beveling the edges, even on 1/8" (aka 10 gauge), it will help. As Keith pointed out, some type of internal or external collar over or inside the welded joint will help strenthen it to the point that you could then grind the weld .

Comment

The only thing I can add is to have a gap between both pieces about the width of your wire and then hit it. An old welder taught me that trick. It supposedly has two advantages.
        1. It gives you a flatter bead.
        2. you are actually filling gap as you are stitching across.
        Not sure how many guys do this, but it works well for me, especially with a stick welder. I can usually get a bead that doesn't need any grinding.

That grinding cuts into the beer drinking.

Comment

Penetration is the key....you could bevel like moser said or allow for al little bit of a gap between the metals.

Comment

Dave,

Let me give an example of a recent project, a cart for duck decoy transportation. I had to weld the 2x3 foot frame and supports and the rail together, the wheels, axle and handle were part of the original thing to move boat trailer in a driveway. All is steel, somewhere between 3/16 and 1/4 inch thick I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12pt 2 - Copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	24721519

Comment

Have another question. I cut my tubing at 45 degrees, or there about, and beveled the sides to get a better weld. On bottom corner I had about 1/8" gap that I filled in with weld pool. It looks pretty bad so I am planning on grinding it down and laying a couple of more beads to strengthen the weld the I plan to add three 1 or 2" flat metal to weld on as additional support. I will also be adding a 12" piece of tubing at the "L" which will be welded as as an additonal support. I am hoping that will be enough. Any thoughts?

Comment

Have another question. I cut my tubing at 45 degrees, or there about, and beveled the sides to get a better weld. On bottom corner I had about 1/8" gap that I filled in with weld pool. It looks pretty bad so I am planning on grinding it down and laying a couple of more beads to strengthen the weld the I plan to add three 1 or 2" flat metal to weld on as additional support. I will also be adding a 12" piece of tubing at the "L" which will be welded as as an additonal support. I am hoping that will be enough. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                X