Minimum longbow poundage for whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No known Texas state minimum poundage. I hate to ask but feel compelled...I hate working on minimums (slacker territory) but necessary this go round.

Reason: I am coming off of torn bicep surgery, progressing rapidly with recovery, and looking to forthcoming WT season. I thought it’d be best to work back into shooting a lighter poundage bow versus my 49@28 & 58@28 longbows and 54@28 recurve.

Ive searched the past threads and to state the (seemingly) obvious...PROPER SHOT PLACEMENT...and well tuned High FOC arrow with razor sharp 2 blade with 3:1 broadhead (length vs width) ratio loosed at short yardage range would increase harvest potential.

Particularly...is 35#@28 longbow too little poundage? I think with my 31-32” draw length Ill get to 40# easily. I think Id aim to build arrows around 450-500gr and 20-25% FOC or more.

It seems plenty of trad killers kill in the low 40s...but I always appreciate yalls fresh guidance.

God bless! Have a great day.

Byron
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 07-10-2018, 10:30 AM.

I wouldn't. Given what I've seen of penetration even with well tuned arrows, sharp single bevel heads and good foc I wouldn't go under 45 at my draw. Sure with perfect placement and . . . .
    My hunting is seldom a perfect scenario. I would suggest a lower poundage compound that has better energy and good let off. But hey, I'm gonna do what I feels right for me. That's a personal decision.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

There have been a bazillion whitetails killed with 40# bows. Like you already mentioned, be sure to keep shots close, broadheads sharp, and hit the right spot!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would not be afraid of hunting with a 40# bow.
        When I was a kid, before compounds 45 was considered a heavy bow

My hero Bisch has killed more animals than parvo and he pretty much always uses less than 50

Comment

I've got a like new, beautiful, Toelke Whip, 40# @ 28 that could be yours for $600.00. That's $300.00 less that I paid for it.
          Last edited by chuckc.; 07-10-2018, 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yup. But not everyone is as good a shot as you or Bisch. I'm not and I know when I'm at less than my A game, like last fall with a broken finger, the better choice was to change equipment. I'm back on trad now and have learned to shoot without that pesky finger.[emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
              I've got a like new, beautiful, Toelke Whip, 40# @ 28 that could be yours for $600.00. That's $300.00 less that I paid for it.
              Dang! Thats seems like a good deal Chuck. Ill PM you. Ill trade some Honey for a stick and string. JK.

Thanks for the input Yall!

Comment

Just how much honey you got? Just kidding, you well enough to make it to Fredericksburg? Just keep your shots close and your broadheads sharp and you'd be good with 40 or so pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  Yup. But not everyone is as good a shot as you or Bisch. I'm not and I know when I'm at less than my A game, like last fall with a broken finger, the better choice was to change equipment. I'm back on trad now and have learned to shoot without that pesky finger.[emoji16]

I can’t speak for Marty because he is a much better shooter than me, but as for me..............there are a gazillion guys out there who shoot better than I do! A huge part of the hunting thing though, is confidence! You have to “know” when you pull back on a critter that you are going to make a perfect shot. Perfect shots don’t always happen, sometimes because we screw up and sometimes because the animal messes things up, but when hunting, when you let go of the string, in your mind you have to “know” that it will be a perfect shot!

You also have to have limits on what shots you will take, and stick to them. If the shot presented is not within those limits, then you pass the shot and wait till next time.

Taking very high percentage shots that are all in your “go zone” really helps to up the kill percentage!!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 07-10-2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I have a lady friend of mine who hunts with a 31# at her DL recurve. When she shoots at a critter, she is as deadly as nearly anyone I know who bowhunts. She has very well tuned equipment, and will only take certain shots. Sure, she does not get the penetration a higher draw weight would get, and sometimes needs the help of a tracking dog because of lack of good blood trail, but when she does shoot a critter it is almost always dead not very far away!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

I killed 2 does with a 42# Hybrid style longbow. I had a second back surgery in 2005 and needed a light bow and a friend made it for me. My arrows weighed in at 490 and the FOC wasn't high; I don't remember the exact number but it was less than 20. I used 125 grn 2 blade Magnus broadheads. The arrow was poking out the other side of both deer I shot but not complete pass throughs. This was in PA, and though the buck racks aren't as big as Texas the deer body size is larger there.

Comment

40# at your draw length should be fine especially with 10gr per inch.

Comment

#35 will certainly get the job done and #40 would be much better. Is #35 ideal, no but like you stated with ultra sharp 2 blade heads and a good FOC it will get the job done on most any Texas whitetail. I'd even add using micro diameter shafts if you can find ones in the right spine. Know your limitations and stay inside them and you'll do fine.

I'd venture that most folks would be a little more accurate if they dropped a little bow weight.

Comment

WT are funny creatures to hunt. They can be jumpy as all get out... contort... and are just ninjas. I fully expect to keep hunting them well into the days where I have to drop down to 40#... and my hope is that by then, I am more patient and more skilled in getting in closer so that the timing is pretty much the same as it is now with a 50# at that 15 yard mark.

I picked up a 40# bow and it felt great at 8 yards... not so much at 15 yards like my current bow... so in that regard, if I were to make the switch now, I'd be limiting myself to under 10 yards with it. (BTW, not saying you can't shoot a 40# further... just saying for me and my comfort/confidence.)

I've gotten within 10 yards of plenty of deer that I would still be happy limiting myself to that range.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                              Just how much honey you got? Just kidding, you well enough to make it to Fredericksburg? Just keep your shots close and your broadheads sharp and you'd be good with 40 or so pounds.
                              We harvested 150ish pounds before my surgery...3 weeks ago. $8 per pound. I sent you a PM Chuck.

DRT...I have considered moving back to a compound but...Ill not be heretic Seriously, itd have to be the compound I killed my first buck with shooting right handed...a 30 year old hand me down...thatd probably kill just fine but Ive parted out and given parts to friends who needed stuff. Itd be a minor rebuild that I dont care to endeavor.

Bisch...your deadly lady friend gives me confidence.

Rabbit...funny enough...my initials are BTW...how’d you guess?

All Yall...Thank you for the input.

I had a friend offer to split cost of a crossbow...A real good friend who got me on this archery journey. Honestly Id rather go kill something with a suppressed boom stick or my 1911 than a crossbow....Im not sure why but just would...regardless of missing a month of hunting.

I also ask about minimum draw weight for trad youth WT hunts. I’m grooming my 16yo nephew for trad killing but know his strength to pull is limited.
                              Last edited by Briar Friar; 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X