Scrap Steel Prices....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrap Steel Prices....?

I've got several tons of short iron I have been holding on to for a while waiting for the price to get better. It's at $80/ton right now, I sold in the past year at well over $100, and I remember when it was around $200(I think).

Do any of you who deal in such markets see it coming up any before the end of the year, or should I just sell it?

I thought maybe the tariffs on China would drive it up some, but I don't really know how that works.

We are just sitting on ours here. Prices are horrible. It will go back up and some point and will sell then.

Comment

It’s allways high on world recycling day I’ve heard. March is a ways off

Comment

I gave up on it, when the hopper is full I haul it. Last time I dropped of 3,000 lbs of sheet drops from the plasma table and got $90 for it. (Not kidding)

Comment

Been getting .03/lb for shavings for the last month or so. If I had room I would hold for better prices but I just need it gone when the hopper is full. But shavings are a lot more of a pain to deal with than solid pieces..

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
            I gave up on it, when the hopper is full I haul it. Last time I dropped of 3,000 lbs of sheet drops from the plasma table and got $90 for it. (Not kidding)
            Yep. Kinda hurts actually. Costs me more to haul and sell it than it woud to throw it away....

Comment

I didn't realize prices had dropped so much. 8 years ago it was $200/ton.

I have been stacking scrap up by my pole barn. Not worth dealing with at $80.

Comment

Give WestTex Iron and Metals a call and see what they are paying. They also buy aluminum and a few other materials.

I've bought scrap from them for projects. And they sell some new metals also. But not a lot of variety. Mostly common needed stuff. But what they sell new has beat most of the others I've bought from for the products they do carry.

Comment

I sell alot of scrap here in Minnesota. The price dropped again just in the last couple of weeks for iron. I don't think you are going to miss out on much money by selling now as compared to the years end. I currently have a load of prepared on my trailer that I will be hauling in soon for $80 per ton.

Some things I've learned about scrapping:

1) If you have more then one scrap yard in your area, price shop them. Here it is common to be as much as $50 per ton difference between them. I'm lucky, I have 4 to choose from. Also, you can't count on yesterday's price being today's price.

2) Get to know someone in the office (a buyer or seller) at the scrap yard. They all have 2 prices, the "board" price and the "buddy" price. The last time I sold brass it was a $.40 per pound difference. I missed out on alot of money not figuring this out soon enough!

3) Most often, scrap prices are higher in the spring then any other time of year. Snow cover in alot of the country makes for less scrap on the market.

4) Cheap gas = cheap scrap!

5) I'm guessing the tariffs hurt the price since most of the scrap is exported to China (not making a political statement just saying.)

6) Scrap battery prices are stupid high right now. The Interstate Battery delivery truck is paying $9.00 for car batteries this month. Lead is the new gold!

7) There are only a few yards left that pay cash.

Comment

I’ve got no idea, but it’s not like it is costing much sitting in the corner.

Comment

I sell quite a bit. I am sitting on copper and wire right now playing the waiting game. It doesn't cost anything to store it for me.

This is from today, a mix of scrap from a demo project I'm doing right now. I know I can do prob $20 a ton better but this is who the dumpster company likes to haul to.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I’m tired of lookin at it, may shop around from my normal place a little, may hang on to it till spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Thanks everyone.

I’m tired of lookin at it, may shop around from my normal place a little, may hang on to it till spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Dale if you are close to Carrollton, there is a yard up there that pays pretty good. I'll get the name tomorrow

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X