Advice on part time work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on part time work.

Looking for some sort of part time job. Does anyone have experience doing uber or something similar. My every day job is for a school district so I need something at night or early mornings so I will still able to be home with the kids some. Something part-time to cover my kids sports but mainly my oldest sons select baseball. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Haven’t done it, but know several that drive Uber and Lyft. Like it because no set schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Uber and lift drivers make about 5.00 per hour.
      Your auto policy will likely not cover any accident while on the clock ( check with your agent )
      Id probably try and hustle up some lawns to mow, trees to trim, junk removal.

Comment

Deal poker at a legal poker joint. Good dealer probably makes good money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Try takl
          I did it for few months but just couldn't keep a schedule with my regular job

Comment

Be a ref!!! We paying refs $150 for 2 varsity basketball games a night right now...I'm bout ready to quit coaching and be a ref!!! They make WAY more money than we do and a lot less hours!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
              Be a ref!!! We paying refs $150 for 2 varsity basketball games a night right now...I'm bout ready to quit coaching and be a ref!!! They make WAY more money than we do and a lot less hours!!!

Reffing is a good way to make some side cash. I made about 4K year before last but I called so many games it was stupid. I think I ended up calling close to 80 games. This is probably my last year doing it. I just can’t handle the parents and coaches anymore. Dealing with that bs for 4 hours and night ain’t worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post

Is the referee work steady and consistent year around?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Is the referee work steady and consistent year around?
                  Can honestly be however you want it. If your calling UIL ball depending on the size of your chapter it will be real steady from November through February. Once that is done you got spring league and AAU tournaments that are fairly easy to get in to. I mostly just call UIL but some years did call the weekend tournaments.

Comment

I’ll also add that you can call pretty much any sport during the school year and make side cash. Vollyball(I found this to be the easiest and best cash), Football, basketball, baseball and softball. I’d add soccer but i honestly couldn’t fathom calling a soccer game. For the record currently I call both football and basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
                      Can honestly be however you want it. If your calling UIL ball depending on the size of your chapter it will be real steady from November through February. Once that is done you got spring league and AAU tournaments that are fairly easy to get in to. I mostly just call UIL but some years did call the weekend tournaments.
                      I’ll also add that you can call pretty much any sport during the school year and make side cash. Vollyball(I found this to be the easiest and best cash), Football, basketball, baseball and softball. I’d add soccer but i honestly couldn’t fathom calling a soccer game. For the record currently I call both football and basketball.
                      Thanks for the info. So you do this as a full time job?

Comment

Another idea, get a booth in a antique/collectible store. We got vendors making 2-3k a month after their rent/ sale% fee is paid. Of course I do not know what their cost is on the stuff in their booths are but most have been with us for years and seem to be happy.

Comment

Reffing is a good way to make some side cash. I made about 4K year before last but I called so many games it was stupid. I think I ended up calling close to 80 games. This is probably my last year doing it. I just can’t handle the parents and coaches anymore. Dealing with that bs for 4 hours and night ain’t worth it.
                          I hear ya!!! I deal with it for 10 hours a day!!!haha

ya gotta have thick skin to be a ref... parents and some coaches are out of control. Cant be afraid to T their *** up if they deserve it or throw a parent out of the game...I reffed football when I went to a big school and didnt have to coach it, and it was good. That being said, I'd do volleyball (indoor), basketball (indoor) and softball (mercy rule)...thatd keep u as busy as u want to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Thanks for the info. So you do this as a full time job?
                            No sir, just do it as a side gig. I know some guys that calling sports (football, basketball, and baseball) is there primary income but they do other stuff on the side as well. These guys call nonstop though, and work select baseball tournaments almost every weekend. I would also say they make less then 20k a year doing this.

Comment

I am a coach. With you already on the school schedule, I would echo these guys that being a part time referee is a good side gig. Gotta have some thick skin but it is easy money, almost all sports besides football are played year round now, choose one you like and get after it.

Comment

Working...
                              X