Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
Jon B
Ten Point
 
Jon B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Tx.
Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States
Default Everyone gets a trophy....Rant

Ladies a d Gentleman,

I read an article that and got me fed up what we and our educators are doing to our kids. I am sick of mental health and wellness being used to produce lazy kids who think that just showing up is good enough. I don't see how this produces kids that are capable of the ups and downs life will hit them with.

Article: https://www.fox19.com/2019/05/09/with-student-mental-health-mind-cincinnati-area-school-ditches-valedictorian-salutatorian-honors/[/URL]https://www.fox19.com/2019/05/09/with-student-mental-health-mind-cincinnati-area-school-ditches-valedictorian-salutatorian-honors/

I am likely younger than a lot of you but growing we won or we lost. My parents and coaches reminded me that losing to a better team or athlete should serve to challenge me to get better.

I feel like we have softened our children to the point that we are in terrible trouble as a country. I do not want to imagine these snowflakes on the battle field or the workforce.

I sure hope I am not the only one.
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
eastxhunter
Ten Point
 
eastxhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx
Default

Word
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
pilar
Ten Point
 
pilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Default

Lord these kids would want to kill them self’s if they had to suffer the punishment our coaches dealt out When we lost a game . Being run till the whole team puked , then have to get in-line to receive pops , then made to run wind sprints till we all puked again “ losing was unfathomable “coach’s would call your parents and complain about how soft we were, times have changed since the 1980’s and I don’t think that stuff would fly today

When I was in high school some guys got in a argument over a parking spot with a girl who was a dwarf ( pc little person) and locked her in the trunk of her Volkswagen till someone found her at lunch, the teachers and school thought it was hilarious, if something like that happened nowadays the school would be sued and it would probably make national news headlines ! Different times, different atmosphere

Last edited by pilar; 05-12-2019 at 11:22 PM.
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
175gr7.62
Ten Point
 
175gr7.62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hallsville, TX
Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,
Default

I wish I knew how to post the emoji hashtag thing of the guy shaking his head.

Iíll say this, that crap doesnít work at my company and it doesnít work in a Marine Corps Infantry battalion. The real world is gonna eat these kids up and spit out their bones.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #5
JFISHER
Pope & Young
 
JFISHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brownwood
Hunt In: BWD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Ladies a d Gentleman,

I read an article that and got me fed up what we and our educators are doing to our kids. I am sick of mental health and wellness being used to produce lazy kids who think that just showing up is good enough. I don't see how this produces kids that are capable of the ups and downs life will hit them with.

Article: https://www.fox19.com/2019/05/09/with-student-mental-health-mind-cincinnati-area-school-ditches-valedictorian-salutatorian-honors/[/URL]https://www.fox19.com/2019/05/09/with-student-mental-health-mind-cincinnati-area-school-ditches-valedictorian-salutatorian-honors/

I am likely younger than a lot of you but growing we won or we lost. My parents and coaches reminded me that losing to a better team or athlete should serve to challenge me to get better.

I feel like we have softened our children to the point that we are in terrible trouble as a country. I do not want to imagine these snowflakes on the battle field or the workforce.

I sure hope I am not the only one.
The "softening" began about 20 years ago... no turning back the tide now I'm afraid.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 05:46 AM   #6
RattlesnakeDan
Six Point
 
RattlesnakeDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Floresville
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

The Bible tells us that we should rejoice in our sufferings because trials and tribulations produce perseverance and character and character produces hope.
That is why we have school shootings and all sorts of evil, these kids have no character or hope if they believe this garbage. They are teaching kids math that if you don't get the correct answer it is ok just tell how you came up with the number and you get a passing grade. So train them to be lazy and misguided.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Yep,

My opinion is that a lot of folks who kill themselves are ones who never learned how to deal with loss.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #8
jer_james
Pope & Young
 
jer_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dallas
Default

I just wish more Families would handle their own business instead of caring about what others do or think that doesn't affect them.

You should work to be the best no matter what they give you at the end.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
Jon B
Ten Point
 
Jon B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Tx.
Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yep,

My opinion is that a lot of folks who kill themselves are ones who never learned how to deal with loss.
I would have to agree. I have worked as an LEO and have responded to more than one suicide attempt over a break-up or failed test. Sad thing is a few were completed over this BS. We have removed these children's coping skills and turned them into weak human beings.
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #10
MRWHITE87
Four Point
 
MRWHITE87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Arlington
Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co
Default

My wife is a kindergarten teacher, and she is sctually switching schools this year, because they want to move her to 4th grade. We are firmly against standardized testing and the pussification of of these kids so she is moving jobs to stay in kinder. Her students learn lessons that will set them apart from even their peers in first grade after she's done with them.
We have two boys that don't get to keep their participation trophies. They are taught everyday that "If you ain't first, you're last." Last may not mean you die, but you better be TRYING YOUR DA__DEST to get first.
I understand exactly where you're coming from with this post, OP, as I struggle with it EVERYDAY, so at least rest assured that there are some of us left that are trying to raise our kids with some integrity, and at least in my house, we celebrate MASCULINITY because it is not toxic, rather necessary.
MRWHITE87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #11
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
I wish I knew how to post the emoji hashtag thing of the guy shaking his head.

Iíll say this, that crap doesnít work at my company and it doesnít work in a Marine Corps Infantry battalion. The real world is gonna eat these kids up and spit out their bones.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not when the real world is just the same!


Now if we have to go through another real depression they will be feeling the pain. I'm not talking about a liberal defined depression..a real one LOL
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #12
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

A few years back my nephew played baseball. Nearly every team made it to the playoffs...It may have been every team in the league made playoffs LOL That way they could all get a playoff trophy.

They should make every game the super bowl.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
MacDaddy67
Ten Point
 
MacDaddy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

My daughter teaches 5th grade in Humble and is shocked what she experienced her first year....
Parents are ridiculous to deal with, no support from her superiors...(principle, superintendent) ....
She hates it and is already thinking of quitting the profession she went to school for 4 years to learn.....

All they care about is if the kid is in that chair....everything else is secondary
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
I feel like we have softened our children to the point that we are in terrible trouble as a country. I do not want to imagine these snowflakes on the battle field or the workforce.

I sure hope I am not the only one.
Some of them sure. But not most of them. Move outside a city, kids still work hard. Hell, even in town, they still work hard. I live a couple hundred yards from the Katy ISD barns, and I see more high schoolers out there every day of the week working various animals than I would ever expect. I go to the feed and tack down the road, and see high schoolers working there, hauling bags of feed into customers vehicles and saying yes sir, no sir.

Keep in mind, before "snowflakes", it was millennials. Well all those millennials are in the military now, still kicking ***, just like the generation before them, and the generation after them will. I wouldn't sweat an article that is meant to get you stirred up.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #15
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
My daughter teaches 5th grade in Humble and is shocked what she experienced her first year....
Parents are ridiculous to deal with, no support from her superiors...(principle, superintendent) ....
She hates it and is already thinking of quitting the profession she went to school for 4 years to learn.....

All they care about is if the kid is in that chair....everything else is secondary
Do you know why they care so much about that?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #16
RJH1
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Some of them sure. But not most of them. Move outside a city, kids still work hard. Hell, even in town, they still work hard. I live a couple hundred yards from the Katy ISD barns, and I see more high schoolers out there every day of the week working various animals than I would ever expect. I go to the feed and tack down the road, and see high schoolers working there, hauling bags of feed into customers vehicles and saying yes sir, no sir.

Keep in mind, before "snowflakes", it was millennials. Well all those millennials are in the military now, still kicking ***, just like the generation before them, and the generation after them will. I wouldn't sweat an article that is meant to get you stirred up.
Hey now, this is common sense and thinking for yourself, this cannot be allowed on the internet. I am not official internet police, but consider yourself warned


Lots of people worried about lots of crap, that matters not
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
tps7742
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Hunt In: East tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Some of them sure. But not most of them. Move outside a city, kids still work hard. Hell, even in town, they still work hard. I live a couple hundred yards from the Katy ISD barns, and I see more high schoolers out there every day of the week working various animals than I would ever expect. I go to the feed and tack down the road, and see high schoolers working there, hauling bags of feed into customers vehicles and saying yes sir, no sir.

Keep in mind, before "snowflakes", it was millennials. Well all those millennials are in the military now, still kicking ***, just like the generation before them, and the generation after them will. I wouldn't sweat an article that is meant to get you stirred up.
I agree here we arenít perfect but we will be ok. Op step back from the news and look around life isnít as bad as it appears.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #18
MacDaddy67
Ten Point
 
MacDaddy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Do you know why they care so much about that?
Money !!
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #19
Hunting4fun
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
When I was in high school some guys got in a argument over a parking spot with a girl who was a dwarf ( pc little person) and locked her in the trunk of her Volkswagen till someone found her at lunch, the teachers and school thought it was hilarious, if something like that happened nowadays the school would be sued and it would probably make national news headlines ! Different times, different atmosphere
At the risk of sounding like a snowflake locking someone in the trunk of a car from when they get to school until lunch is a pretty big deal no matter how you cut it or what era it was in.
Hunting4fun is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
Dave
Moderator
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: College Station, Tx
Default

I think getting upset about something that happened in Ohio is a waist on energy. I'd rather spend that energy being involved in the organizations my kids are involved in and making sure they get the right messages and lessons.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #21
Tx_Wader
Ten Point
 
Tx_Wader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: El Campo
Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia
Default

Quote:
Yep, My opinion is that a lot of folks who kill themselves are ones who never learned how to deal with loss.
That's a profound statement that I hope all on this thread read.

It's very true and I knew a guy all through school whose parents babied him and he never "lost" at anything, even though he did. They would buy him trophies for Little League and pretty much did all of his homework, covered his bad checks when he wrote them with no money in the bank, etc.

Later on after flunking out of junior college, unable to get a job that he wanted and his girlfriend left him, he stuck a 20 gauge shotgun in his mouth and blew his brains out in his folks dining room.

Life is hard and this mamby pamby way of teaching the children is not helping them, not one bit.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #22
pilar
Ten Point
 
pilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting4fun View Post
At the risk of sounding like a snowflake locking someone in the trunk of a car from when they get to school until lunch is a pretty big deal no matter how you cut it or what era it was in.
Well it didnít even cause any concern ( except I think they got the paddle )and like I said today it would be international news headlines
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #23
Humper
Pope & Young
 
Humper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corinth
Hunt In: Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I think getting upset about something that happened in Ohio is a waist on energy. I'd rather spend that energy being involved in the organizations my kids are involved in and making sure they get the right messages and lessons.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Spot on Dave....
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com