Deer Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Jerky

I was fixing to make some deer jerky and a friend said I need to freeze the meat for two months to kill any paricites. I did some resurch and it looks to be true. What does TBH think?

I am sure that the processors don't hold meat for 2 months before smoking it.

Comment

Never froze it, and never had any issues and we make alot of jerky every year

Comment

I typically bring the jerky to temp in the oven or smoker to kill any parasites. Freezing does not effectively kill them 100%. You can then switch to dehydrator if preferred.

Comment

I run my dehydrator at 158deg for 12 hrs then 130deg for 12 hrs then throw it in the freezer when I want some I take a bag out and eat never had a problem.

Comment

Never heard about freezing for 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

the only reason you need to freeze your jerky meat is to make it easier to slice.

Comment

This is what I found. Thanks

Comment

Here's what your link says:

People get trichinosis when they eat undercooked meat — such as pork, bear, walrus or horse — that is infected with the immature form (larvae) of the trichinella roundworm. In nature, animals are infected when they feed on other infected animals. Pigs and horses can become infected with trichinosis when they feed on garbage containing infected meat scraps. Cattle don't eat meat, but some cases have been linked to eating beef that was mixed with infected pork or ground in a grinder previously used for contaminated pork.

Due to increased regulation of pork feed and products in the United States, pigs have become a less common source of infection. Wild animals, including bear, continue to be sources of infection.
                  And:

Prevention
                  The best defense against trichinosis is proper food preparation. Follow these tips to avoid trichinosis:

Avoid undercooked meat. Be sure whole cuts of meat other than poultry and wild game are cooked to an internal temperature of 145 F (63 C) throughout, and don't cut or eat the meat for at least three minutes after you've removed it from the heat. Cook ground pork and beef to at least 160 F (71 C). They can be eaten immediately after cooking.

Using a meat thermometer is the best way to ensure the meat is thoroughly cooked.

Avoid undercooked wild game. For both whole cuts and ground varieties, cook to an internal temperature of at least 160 F (71 C).

Avoid undercooked poultry. For whole cuts and ground varieties, cook to a temperature of at least 165 F (74 C). For whole cuts, let the poultry sit for three minutes before cutting or eating.

Have wild-animal meat frozen or irradiated. Irradiation will kill parasites in wild-animal meat, and deep-freezing for three weeks kills trichinella in some meats. However, trichinella in bear meat does not die by freezing, even over a long period. Neither irradiation nor freezing is necessary if you ensure that the meat is thoroughly cooked.

Know that other processing methods don't kill parasites. Other methods of meat processing or preserving, such as smoking and pickling, don't kill trichinella parasites in infected meat.

Clean meat grinders thoroughly. If you grind your own meat, make sure the grinder is cleaned after each use.
                  So deep freezing MAY kill SOME of the trichini. Deer do not eat other animals, for the most part, and the risk of trichini is very low.

Undercooked pork is a major risk factor. It used to be Trichinosis killed you. I'm not clear after reading this if they can treat you for it now.
                  Last edited by Dusty Britches; 11-14-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

A good smoking should kill anything of major concern

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      Here's what your link says:

And:

So deep freezing MAY kill SOME of the trichini. Deer do not eat other animals, for the most part, and the risk of trichini is very low.

Undercooked pork is a major risk factor. It used to be Trichinosis killed you. I'm not clear after reading this if they can treat you for it now.
                      there are very few cases of trichinosis every year (like less than 20) and I've never heard of anyone being infected from deer. Most infections nowadays are from bear.

To the OP, no need to freeze before making jerky, except to make it easier to slice.

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
                          https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/con-20027095

I typically bring the jerky to temp in the oven or smoker to kill any parasites. Freezing does not effectively kill them 100%. You can then switch to dehydrator if preferred.
                          Excellent point, that's the last thing you want in your wild game meat. Good information.

Comment

If you are worried about parasites, put some instacure in your jerky seasoning.

Comment

Never heard that

Comment

Working...
                              X