Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #251
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada
Default Crappie withdrawals

I like jigs with curly tails. Start white, chartreuse next, then go through a couple different colors. Then to standard jigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bps3040; 04-15-2017 at 10:00 AM.
bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #252
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

It never ever gets old!! Had to go stroke em again today. Had one around 2lbs

Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #253
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
It never ever gets old!! Had to go stroke em again today. Had one around 2lbs

Nice! Hoping to pull some more tomorrow evening!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #254
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Nice work Slew! You the boys and Skloss killed-em good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Hey guys, need some advice on jigs. Growing up in Louisiana we always caught crappie just off crickets and minnows, and beetle spins.

I'm newer to fishing them here and trying to jig anybody have recommendations on jigs, colors, etc?

Been using spinning jig heads, and the tube bodies.
Most of the time, I use some sort of leadhead in a dark or unpainted color. And add a tube type body to it. Weight depends on a lot of things, mainly wind. I've gone as small as a /1/64oz in fishing barges during the winter pending bait selection. I like a really small tube 1.5" that time of year too. But when it's getting close to spawning time, I go a little bigger to a 2". When I feel they've seen my jig to much in the spring, I also use a 2" curly-tail grub. Black and Charturse tubes have always produced larger fish for me vs. other colors, for some reason. Not sure why. My grubs are usually white. And double for sandbass sometimes. You can also rig them with a float with 1-3ft leader during the spring. Cast it to a likely location. Let it sit for a moment, then real back really slow and stop letting the float settel. a short twitch and let it settel. Then move it a couple feet again. If you don't get a bite, real it in and try again, or select another target. I've used clear plastic floats for doing that too sometimes. It leaves less of a surface shadow. But causes more ripple in the water to draw attention.

Deeper fish, I cast and do a very slow retrieve. Or a pitch and let it fall keeping the slack out of my line. If it drapes over an underwater limb, I pull it over very gently. And usually get strikes on the fall just after.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-15-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #255
Flex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post

Most of the time, I use some sort of leadhead in a dark or unpainted color. And add a tube type body to it. Weight depends on a lot of things, mainly wind. I've gone as small as a /1/64oz in fishing barges during the winter pending bait selection. I like a really small tube 1.5" that time of year too. But when it's getting close to spawning time, I go a little bigger to a 2". When I feel they've seen my jig to much in the spring, I also use a 2" curly-tail grub. Black and Charturse tubes have always produced larger fish for me vs. other colors, for some reason. Not sure why. My grubs are usually white. And double for sandbass sometimes. You can also rig them with a float with 1-3ft leader during the spring. Cast it to a likely location. Let it sit for a moment, then real back really slow and stop letting the float settel. a short twitch and let it settel. Then move it a couple feet again. If you don't get a bite, real it in and try again, or select another target. I've used clear plastic floats for doing that too sometimes. It leaves less of a surface shadow. But causes more ripple in the water to draw attention.

Deeper fish, I cast and do a very slow retrieve. Or a pitch and let it fall keeping the slack out of my line. If it drapes over an underwater limb, I pull it over very gently. And usually get strikes on the fall just after.
Awesome thanks for the input! Went and got some different lead heads and tubes and grubs at academy. Going out tomorrow afternoon again.

So you guys don't use the lead heads with the spinner?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #256
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
So you guys don't use the lead heads with the spinner?

I don't. Others might. "I've" just not had enough success with spinner blades of any type.

Sandbass, on the other hand, are a different story. Especially in the summer and fall. And Rooster Tails in the spring in creeks and rivers.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #257
Flex
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't. Others might. "I've" just not had enough success with spinner blades of any type.

Sandbass, on the other hand, are a different story. Especially in the summer and fall. And Rooster Tails in the spring in creeks and rivers.
Used to hammer whites on belton in college off rooster tails.

Have not gotten in many on Waco yet. And the ones we have were off minnows.

Going to fish the south bosque and jog creek tomorrow for crappie. Will try all the new setups and hopefully get lucky!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #258
Slew
Pope & Young

Default Crappie withdrawals

Quote:
Hey guys, need some advice on jigs. Growing up in Louisiana we always caught crappie just off crickets and minnows, and beetle spins.

I'm newer to fishing them here and trying to jig anybody have recommendations on jigs, colors, etc?

Been using spinning jig heads, and the tube bodies.

Constant pursuit outfitters thump chubbies in white hot, shadowboy, and JB special fished on 1/16oz or 1/8 oz pink or orange heads.

Thermocline lures little frys or tadpoles in natural Shad. Purple passion. And pearl ice on rhe same heads above. Russell gates makes great heads as does Jerry Leblanc.

Bonehead slim sticks in Palesrine special. Paradise. Bluegrass. And silver flake with a chart tail or white tail And black ans chartreuse.

That will get you started on plastics!! Then you will want some hand ties!!!

Left off copper mine from Thermocline Lures!! Had to beg him to make that color but after a few times getting whipped on if it finally made its way to the mold!!
Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #259
Danimal14
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere freinds will take me and granger phl

Welp...I'm about to be poorer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Danimal14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #260
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal14 View Post
Welp...I'm about to be poorer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Lol, same here!

bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 03:02 AM   #261
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

Just got in with a good mess. Two fish shy of a limit. All caught on jigs in 2-3 foot of water on Fork.
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #262
tgil
Pope & Young

Name:  20170415_084258.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  82.7 KB
This is my only contribution to this thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #263
old killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico

Pink head with Bobby Garland electric chicken or blue ice.
Attached Images

old killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #264
Flex
Ten Point

Geez, busted *** jigging and minnows at every brush pile and stump south bosque to ridgewood, zero luck but two crappie. I think I have just lost the touch. At least got into some good sized whites right before dark! Would have had more but ran out of minnows!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #265
Slew
Pope & Young

Look out Cedar Creek slabs!! On the hunt with Chris Webb this morning on a trip Langdon won in a CAT raffle!!

Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #266
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good luck Slew and crew!

Flex, at least ya got some whites.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #267
Slew
Pope & Young

We ended up with 40 keepers and probsbly 2x that many throwbacks! Fun stuff! Cedar Creek is a cool lake and Chris was awesome!! I wouldn't hesitate to book a trip with Chris! First class operation and people for sure!!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #268
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Awesome catch Slew!

I must say, those are some of the most "yeller", "black" and "white" crappie I've ever seen.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #269
Bushwacker
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:

Very good info. Thanks for these tips
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #270
Flex
Ten Point

If any of you guys that are around Waco want to get together and fish let me know. Can hop on my boat or I can bring gas/beer/snacks/bait/etc.

I could use some pointers! I just want to be able to catch crappie! I work and live right next to Koehne park launch and can be on the water by 4 most days. And once summer hits I'm off for 3 months.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #271
The Real CWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere there are critters to kill

Anybody fish White Rock Lake just outside Dallas? I'm up here on business and a customer told me its great crappie fishing.... any locals that can provide a report or a better spot around Dallas?

Thanks brothers!

The Real CWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #272
tgil
Pope & Young

You could check out the texasfishingforum site. There is a bank fisherman section that used to have some info on WRL. Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #273
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I usually winterize my boat about the first of June. And don't get it out again till Sept or later. To hot on the water for me in the summer. And I've had a couple irregular skin cells removed a couple times already, off my face. One was pretty deep and wide. Don't foreget your sunscreen. You can burn even when it's cool out. I got burned the first time this year back at the first of March. I'm gonna loose my ears one of these days.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #274
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
I usually winterize my boat about the first of June. And don't get it out again till Sept or later. To hot on the water for me in the summer. And I've had a couple irregular skin cells removed a couple times already, off my face. One was pretty deep and wide. Don't foreget your sunscreen. You can burn even when it's cool out. I got burned the first time this year back at the first of March. I'm gonna loose my ears one of these days.

Till I read the second half I thought you were crazy! Some of my favorite fishing is June to Sept!! I need to apply sunblock more often and maybe get some of those masks and gloves. I use a big patio Umbrella some in summer! It's 15 degrees cooler under that thing than it is in the sun! Had a buddy on here weld me up an H bracket to slip over the pedisdtal seat mount and slide the umbrella into.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #275
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I used to fish the summer when I was younger. Spent a lot of my time out in the sun all day riding a bicycle too. Sometimes 16 hour days in the saddle when I was in my 40s. Then I got my first Basil cell carcinoma a few years ago, maybe 2009?. All that time out in the sun before my 50th B-day started catching up with me. I remember my grandfather having it removed off his head, forearms, and hands. My dad has had it removed a few times now, and facial reconstruction twice. He grew up on Lake Worth. My Grandfather had the place till he passed in '99. My Pops sold it in 2008. My great grandfather bought it back in 1932. Being in the sun back then was just part of life, till we got older. I lost a co worker 4 years ago to the black cells. He was 47. It showed up on his back. By then, it was to late.

So, with that being said, were some sunscreen!

Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-18-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #276
JMAR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

Mike that's catfishin time!
I wear sunscreen like butter on a grilled cheese and a biggg hat

JMAR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #277
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I do to most of the time JMAR, hat and soaking in sunscreen. If I catfish during the summer, it's usually at night. But I'd rather get them in April and May if I can.
Went cat-n around this past Thursday-Saturday. Blues and Channels were biting good, if you like smaller fish. People next to me had a bunch of 2-3lbs every time they ran lines. But they were using small baits and hooks. They had enough for a fish fry Saturday night and were expecting 20 or so people. I got most of my cut perch, live perch 1.5"-2.5", and shad stolen most of the time. Nothing of size worth keeping in my book. I pulled my jugs and left after lunch Saturday afternoon.

Edit: Sitting on a hill under a big live oak with a light south breeze overlooking my jugs for half mile is nice.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-18-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #278
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Where the red arrow starts is where they cut me from in a diamond shape pattern. Then pull the skin together. Unfortunately, they did not give me any prescriptions before I left. And it swelled up over the stitches, as you can see. Stitches are under the skin in the pic. I finally got antibiotics 4 days after. But it was almost to late by then. It hurt worse to get those stitches cut out than the surgery did because it was so tender. It was a guessing game as to where they were. So they just started hacking away. Try getting stitches cut out with out any locals.

This was the first one I had removed. I had some removed off my left temple the following year.
Name:  DSC00018 (Small).JPG
Views: 317
Size:  46.8 KB
Old 04-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #279
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

Quote:
Look out Cedar Creek slabs!! On the hunt with Chris Webb this morning on a trip Langdon won in a CAT raffle!!

Chris is top notch. I'll recommend him to anyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #280
Flex
Ten Point

Y'all done any fishing? Hearing they've gone back a little deeper. I think I'll try the crappie condos on Waco next week.

I have a fish finder but it's old. Can't really tell if I'm going over a brush pile or a rock. Just depth and contour.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #281
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

My crappie hole is flooded out. I am moving to the cats on the rocks.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #282
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Y'all done any fishing? Hearing they've gone back a little deeper. I think I'll try the crappie condos on Waco next week.

I have a fish finder but it's old. Can't really tell if I'm going over a brush pile or a rock. Just depth and contour.

A newer graph with side imaging is well worth the investment! Hopefully have a new Solix 15 w mega imaging on the new slab sled eventually!!!

I've seen a helix 9 with SI for $800. That would be a great SI unit to get started with and would pt for itself quickly in time saved scouting and building brush.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #283
Flex
Ten Point

Quote:
A newer graph with side imaging is well worth the investment! Hopefully have a new Solix 15 w mega imaging on the new slab sled eventually!!!

I've seen a helix 9 with SI for $800. That would be a great SI unit to get started with and would pt for itself quickly in time saved scouting and building brush.

Yikes! not anytime soon on my teaching salary! I have been looking at some of the new $100 ish humminbirds and used units in the same bracket!

Think I will just stick with my LCR 4000 for a while and save!
Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #284
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Flex, The one I have is very basic. But I can tell a little when there are fish there. I think it's a Hummer 541 (in gray scale). It was about $140. I got it basically for depth. But have it fine tuned too. Took me a bit to get used to reading it.

Hummer10 with SI and GPS for foggy mornings, and a foot controlled troller are next on the list.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #285
tgil
Pope & Young

Quote:

I hit Benbrook this morning for just a little bit, fishing from the bank. I can tell you, there, they are still shallow.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #286
Jeffr0
Nubbin' Buck

Can't beat a mess of white perch.
Jeffr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #287
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

I had my limit at granger by noon yesterday...they have moved to 6 ft in the river
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #288
Bushwacker
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang_ol View Post
Fished from 830 to 10, had 5 keepers, hard to fish with all the boats running up and down the bayou and wind getting up.

Are they still shallow on lake Houston?
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #289
Slew
Pope & Young

Was starting to get the shakes! I'm good till next week now!!

Old 04-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #290
tgil
Pope & Young

Gootness! That's a pile o' slabs!

Old 04-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #291
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Was starting to get the shakes! I'm good till next week now!!

How in the world do you eat all those dang crappie?!
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #292
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

Best with sweet tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #293
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas/Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

Fries, hush puppies, ketchup and

jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #294
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhunting39 View Post
Fries, hush puppies, ketchup and

That's right!!! Frying for 20 or so for a birthday party. Fresh fish is hard to beat!!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #295
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Dang you Slew! After look-n at those pics, all you did was just pass the shakes on back to me. Now I gotta go in the morning!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:06 PM   #296
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
That's right!!! Frying for 20 or so for a birthday party. Fresh fish is hard to beat!!

Man you ain't kidding. It's been too long since we had one, a year or so atleast. We used to back the boat in by the cooker in the back yard. Pull them out of the live well, filet em, batter em up and drop em in the fryer. Just that quick. Catfish too.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #297
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
Dang you Slew! After look-n at those pics, all you did was just pass the shakes on back to me. Now I gotta go in the morning!

I was wanting to go hog hunting this weekend but my plans may have just changed.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #298
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhunting39 View Post
I was wanting to go hog hunting this weekend but my plans may have just changed.

You can do both. Just don't sleep.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #299
Mex Polack
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico
Default Locating Crappie

Wanted to get some of yall's opinions on Down Imaging & Side Imaging for structure on locating crappie as far at Model units such as Hummingbird,
Lowrance,etc. looking to invest in a new unit. Thanks
Mex Polack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #300
old killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex Polack View Post
Wanted to get some of yall's opinions on Down Imaging & Side Imaging for structure on locating crappie as far at Model units such as Hummingbird,
Lowrance,etc. looking to invest in a new unit. Thanks
Build your own brush piles and use gps and depthfinder.
old killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top