Galveston Fishing Reports and beach tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galveston Fishing Reports and beach tips

Hey guys, cajun ginger and i are taking the families down on the 4th for a few days. Planning on fishing west bay by boat, and doing some surf fishing. Staying near sea isle.

Anybody have tips on places where we can drive on the beach, let the kids play and fish? I've heard we need to be away from the pass for the water to be safe for kids, but I'm not very familiar and don't know how far we need to be.

Will definitely do another live thread when we go!

Also any of y'all been in west bay? They moving out of the deep water yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sent you a PM

Comment

8 mile road, both sides of the island. State Park on the west end again both sides of the island, or cross over to the freeport side and fish 4-8 miles from the pass.

Awesome chart, good info. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
        8 mile road, both sides of the island. State Park on the west end again both sides of the island, or cross over to the freeport side and fish 4-8 miles from the pass.Awesome chart, good info. Thanks!
        The Freeport side is where I do most of my fishing and its always been a great place for the kids to play in the water while I fish. If the surf isn't producing you can jump across the hwy. and hit Christmas bay for some good wading too.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys.

I can see all the drive in access spots on google maps. But wasn't sure how far we needed to get from the Pass. Appreciate it.

I throw artificial mainly, but we will probably have the kids throwing gulp and fish bites to catch some sand trout.

Will post reports and a live thread!

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
            Sent you a PM
            Never received.

Comment

Resent it sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                Awesome. Thanks guys.

I can see all the drive in access spots on google maps. But wasn't sure how far we needed to get from the Pass. Appreciate it.

I throw artificial mainly, but we will probably have the kids throwing gulp and fish bites to catch some sand trout.

Will post reports and a live thread!

my suggestion is to stay away from the San Luis Pass especially if you have children that you care about. lol.

Seriously the pass is very dangerous and every year there are lots of people that die from drowning.

You have three options to fish in or close the Houston, obviously if you decide to go towards Corpus there will be additional options.

1. High Island with in on the Bolivar side of things. That is probably the least populated beach. It produces bull reds (all year long) and sharks.

2. Galveston any of the beaches (access points) can be fished, the down side is that most of the access points are small. Meaning once you hit the beach you will be hendered from telephone pole that will not allow you to driver past them. So you will be tight will swimmers during the summer.

3. Surfside (Freeport area) has the longest of beach that you can drive down, i don't know how far but i would guess almost 20 miles. you can fish any or all of that, park on the beach and also have few people to have to deal with.

hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                  my suggestion is to stay away from the San Luis Pass especially if you have children that you care about. lol.

Seriously the pass is very dangerous and every year there are lots of people that die from drowning.

You have three options to fish in or close the Houston, obviously if you decide to go towards Corpus there will be additional options.

1. High Island with in on the Bolivar side of things. That is probably the least populated beach. It produces bull reds (all year long) and sharks.

2. Galveston any of the beaches (access points) can be fished, the down side is that most of the access points are small. Meaning once you hit the beach you will be hendered from telephone pole that will not allow you to driver past them. So you will be tight will swimmers during the summer.

3. Surfside (Freeport area) has the longest of beach that you can drive down, i don't know how far but i would guess almost 20 miles. you can fish any or all of that, park on the beach and also have few people to have to deal with.

hope that helps.
                  We are staying on the island near sea isle and the pass. Surfside is probably the direction we're heading from the advice on here.

Comment

Drive south over the toll bridge, find the first road to the beach and go back north. The beach will dead end into a neighborhood. There is a old house that sticks out into the gulf . That's where the fish are. I fished there a lot last summer (in a boat) and had 3-4 days in a row of 2 man limits before 8 am. It is a relatively safe place to play at the beach. Do not swim near or around the toll bridge!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Freer View Post
                      Drive south over the toll bridge, find the first road to the beach and go back north. The beach will dead end into a neighborhood. There is a old house that sticks out into the gulf . That's where the fish are. I fished there a lot last summer (in a boat) and had 3-4 days in a row of 2 man limits before 8 am. It is a relatively safe place to play at the beach. Do not swim near or around the toll bridge!
                      Giving away all the good spots. Lol

Comment

When are you heading down? Surf fishing is pretty dead right now.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          When are you heading down? Surf fishing is pretty dead right now.
                          Heading down March 3-7.

Only going to surf fish while kids and women are on beach. Will be boat fishing west bay rest of the time. Have had luck fishing in and around diversion canal so will probably try that one day in addition to fishing the island side.

Comment

Originally posted by Freer View Post
                            Awesome! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                              Awesome! Thank you.

If you go there, please be careful close to the jetty rocks along the wall. The current rips pretty good there.

Comment

Working...
                              X