No announcement yet.

Darrells inspired mini air boat build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added some bracing, will do fiberglass this weekend hopefully!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is an old hot roder trick. If you can figure out how to do it without destroying the structural integrity, drill holes in the 2x4's. this will help to shave a little weight off of it. It won't make a huge difference but every little bit helps.

Have you looked into reduction yet? It can make a world of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
        Here is an old hot roder trick. If you can figure out how to do it without destroying the structural integrity, drill holes in the 2x4's. this will help to shave a little weight off of it. It won't make a huge difference but every little bit helps.

Have you looked into reduction yet? It can make a world of difference.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that to the 2x4's but I almost feel like as many holes I would have to make to make it worth it might not be worth the work. But this morning I did think about doing that to the sides. That's the heaviest part as of right now. I was thinking this morning I might have some 1/4 ply in the garage that might be good to laminate on the sides if I cut holes in it.

Absolute worst case scenario it's way to heavy and/or doesn't float and I spend another $400 on aluminum and make it out of that.

Comment

Have you figured out your cage design yet?

Comment

Have you figured out your cage design yet?

Not yet. Just want to wait to make sure the boat is going to float first. Lol

After that I'll start building the cage and wait until the prop gets here.

Comment

It will float. You can always get np1 from mccoys and seal the interior seams. That is some great stuff.

If you build the main hoops out of 3/4" emt you can use 1/2" emt for all the braces. They fit together well. If you use 3/4" for everything then you will have to bird mouth the ends.
              I'm sure that came out real clear! I can explain it better in person.

Comment

In for the first test video - that's gonna be fun!

Comment

It will float. You can always get np1 from mccoys and seal the interior seams. That is some great stuff.

If you build the main hoops out of 3/4" emt you can use 1/2" emt for all the braces. They fit together well. If you use 3/4" for everything then you will have to bird mouth the ends.
                  I'm sure that came out real clear! I can explain it better in person.

Yeah but I don't think paint will adhere to np1 so I'm going to go with some paintable silicone. Between the waterproof glue, fiberglass on the bottom and sides, paintable silicone, and a couple coats of killz, I don't see how water could get through.

Comment

I can't decide if I want the motor in the cage or outside of it. I like the look of it inside the cage, but it could be a pain to work on it that way.

Comment

My cage was held in by 6 bolts and covered the engine. It was easy to remove.

Comment

This is going to be pretty cool. I've always wanted to build a poling type skiff

Comment

Hmm. I have a busted up JD riding mower out back that runs. Wonder what i could put together when I'm done with this pirogue...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well??

Comment

Well??

Got busy last week. Work is picking up. Gonna try and work on it tonight.

Comment

Only got to work on it a few hours today.

Hollowed out the sides. 1.5 from the bottom and 1.5 from the top I drew lines all the way down. Then used a Paint can to give me the curves.

One part cracked to a glued it and counter sank a 3" screw into it. Should hold I would think!

Just before she got covers on the sides!

Comment

Working...
                                X