Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

issue with Samick, anyone else see similar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

issue with Samick, anyone else see similar?

I've had this happen now 4 times in shooting my bow, the string makes a strange sound and the arrow flies six feet above the target. I'm shooting a #40 limbs on the Sage but I do draw between 31-31.5", so I can feel it strain when I go beyond 29" on the pull. I've shot at least a thousand arrows with this bow and it's now happened 4 times in the past 200 arrows I've shot in the yard. On the first one I thought it was a bad nock on the arrow but the others all looked good, I had a good contact with the string, and I shoot 3 under with a string nock point.

There isn't any obvious warping or any other issues that I can see with it, maybe it's getting close to failure on me, was just wondering if similar has happened to others on here?

Have never had that problem. If it were the bow though, I would think it would be more consistent.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

How tight do your nocks fit on the bowstring? I had a little trouble with nocks fitting way too tight on my Sage. I changed the stock dacron string to a fast flight string and it made a lot of difference. Are you losing any nocks when you release or are you having any nocks stay on the string? That could cause some erratic arrow flight.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I've only had one nock fly off but I think it was due to me nock gluing that particular one on properly (the arrow hit the bow on that one and I could see it). The other 4 times, the nock stayed attached to the arrow.

Comment

I think it might be the nock fit be too loose or arrow is sliding down the string on release giving a high shot and sound you are describing.

Comment

Are your shooting one or two nocks. Recurves and longbows fail with a surety that won’t leave you guessing most times. If you aren’t shooting two nock points I’d suggest it as well as making sure your bow is at the proper brace height as well as nock point level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have some one watch you shoot. I think you are torquing the string side ways at full draw. The string jerks back to alignment, slinging the arrow way out of whack. I had a friend that was doing that many years ago. It was amazing how far out of alignment he could torque that string. The arrows flew horrendous, some missing the bale by several feet.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Armendariz View Post
                I think it might be the nock fit be too loose or arrow is sliding down the string on release giving a high shot and sound you are describing.
                That was my first thought.

Comment

Really strange that you would get any wild flyers like that without something really going wrong. One I could see but more than that?
                  I would start by putting a nocking point above and below the arrow nock on the string.
                  Having two will keep the arrow from sliding up or down on the string, and make sure the nocks aren't fitting too loose on the string.
                  The arrow should gently snap onto the string.
                  Make sure you are shooting the correct spine arrow according to your draw length, and bow poundage.

Comment

The sage is only a 62" bow.
                    Not that it won't work with a 31" plus draw length, but at that draw length with that length of bow any errant torque on the string, and/or bow is going to be quite a bit amplified.

If it were the bow failing, you wouldn't be wondering about it. It would have blown by now if there was enough structural failure to create the problem you describe.

You just need to take the steps to eliminate the catalysts of the problem.
                    (1) Make sure your nocks are not overly tight. A light two finger tap on the string should be all it takes to make the arrow come off.

(2) Use double nocking points (one above & one below the nock) to ensure the arrow is not sliding on the string during the shot.

(3) Form, Form, Form. As Bob stated, a bad release can cause the bow do do all kinds of weird torquing, and as I stated above, it'll get really bad with your draw length on that length of bow.

Rick

Comment

You could put a set of Journey limbs on it and have a 64" bow.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I appreciate all the replies, I think there is a good possibility that I am twisting the string as I draw and I will also test the nock grip on the string the next time I shoot.

Comment

If your arrows only go high it’s a nock issue. I can’t imagine a way to shoot 3 under and twist the sting enough to make you miss feet above your target. If I read it correctly you said one arrow hit your shelf and broke the nock. If the string were twisted you would hit the riser and miss left or right if your nock moved down that would cause the point to move up and the tail down causing you to have a high flier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X