No announcement yet.

Film Your Hunt: Is 4K Overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info. I was debating on not getting the Mavic Mini because it doesn't do 4k but now I see that isn't an issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      I've been filming my hunts by some sorts since 2008 and I classify myself as a hunting video backyard hack.. I know just enough to put some stuff together and make it watchable. You sold me on going 1080 again with a larger sensor for better low light photos this time with the last two videos. My current camcorder is a 1080 and I like how it performs in general but I'm gonna jump up a level with the bigger sensor/lens. Great info for folks getting into it as well.

If I ever jump into it large enough to consider 4K and the extra equipment/resources it requires I'll do it all at once. Until then, I'll enjoy doing it on a low-mid range budget with a new 1080 camcorder, new laptop and 2TB external drive. 2 out of those 3 are already bought so I can't change it now. I'm gonna roll with it.

Thanks again for the follow up Michael.
      Thanks for the feedback! Did you get the V770? Let me know how you like it.

Originally posted by Casey View Post
      Do it for this reason alone. Oh, don't think youtube will be here in 30 years for them to check out the clips from their childhood. When you get a final version, make sure you tuck it away safely...in multiple locations.
      I couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Filming for phone? Who the hell would do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Thanks for the feedback! Did you get the V770? Let me know how you like it.

That's the one thing not bought yet. I was waiting on this explanation to do so. But yes...I'm buying the V770.........

Comment

I was glad I reached out 2 years ago and you gave me this advise. I was always one to “think” I should get the newest latest on the market. You saved me $$$

Comment

I agree with a few others on here. If you are buying new you should make the jump to 4k. No reason to start with a technology that is already being phased out. Not sure why you would not go with 4k unless it had to do with money. If that is the reason then a case didnt need to be made to use 1080. Just use 1080 as that is what your budget allows.

You also shouldn't make your decision on what the end user/viewer "might" be watching on. If your are making the videos for your kids to watch more reason to go 4k as it will probably be the most recent obsolete technology. Hell in 10 years it might be 10k or something completely different.

Comment

Shooting in 4k then rendering down in post does give you a very crisp 1080p. I normally shoot 1080 120 fps that way if I need to slow mo a shot i can. If not i convert it to 24 or 30fps which also makes it look very crisp

Comment

Hell, I thought you were talking about a 4 thousand dollar recorder. I got a lot of catching up to do.

Comment

Content > Quality.. most phones can't show 60 fps, why shoot it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                      I agree with a few others on here. If you are buying new you should make the jump to 4k. No reason to start with a technology that is already being phased out. Not sure why you would not go with 4k unless it had to do with money. If that is the reason then a case didnt need to be made to use 1080. Just use 1080 as that is what your budget allows.

You also shouldn't make your decision on what the end user/viewer "might" be watching on. If your are making the videos for your kids to watch more reason to go 4k as it will probably be the most recent obsolete technology. Hell in 10 years it might be 10k or something completely different.

I could buy a 4K camera on Amazon today for under $250. So will that camera produce better results for filming a hunt than a quality 1080 camera costing twice as much? Im guessing probably not, especially in low light (which is common in many hunting situations.)

Don’t get me wrong, I love having 4K capabilities in my cameras. But even with my $3000 (body only) Sony mirrorless, I probably shoot 1080 80% of the time, and probably above 95% of the time when filming a hunt for YouTube. I’d MUCH rather have the ability to get smooth slow motion of the shot or b-roll with the higher frame rate than whatever benefit shooting 4K might afford.

The point of this video, and the previous, is that there are other factors that are more important than 4K that contribute to creating a quality hunting video, especially for web delivery (YouTube).

If you have the expendable funds to purchase a 4K camera - with a large sensor size, internal processor, decent zoom, articulating screen, excellent auto focus and ability to manipulate shutter speed, frame rates, iso and aperture...all of which I can argue are at least as important than 4K resolution - then I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to recommend you go that route.

This video is for everybody else that might not even consider the importance of those other considerations and otherwise focus solely on “4K” (and then potentially be left with uneditable footage because their computer won’t play or edit it.)

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                        Content > Quality.. most phones can't show 60 fps, why shoot it that way.

I shoot 60 (or 120) fps and essentially convert it to a lower frame rate for smoother slow motion.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I’ve got my 1080 and I’m looking forward to filming hunts this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                            Filming for phone? Who the hell would do that?

I don’t film “for phone,” but it’s good to know your audience.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              Good info. I was debating on not getting the Mavic Mini because it doesn't do 4k but now I see that isn't an issue for me.

I have the Spark, which also doesn’t shoot 4K. If you’ll be using it for personal use on YouTube, 1080 is likely sufficient. If you want it to use for client projects, a bird that shoots 4K might be a better choice.

(I do have an Inspire 1 for when I shoot client projects that require it.)

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I’m rocking the VX870 this weekend in South Texas...1080@60 fps!

Still shot from the cam yesterday evening. Backlighting was harsh in that blind.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X