Finally bought a pcp rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    A spring gun shooting 1200 to 1300 fps, is shooting lighter pellets. I have been shooting air rifles since I was a kid, have owned all types of air rifles. Spring gun performances have gone up since I bought my last spring gun. At one point years ago, probably 15 to 20 years ago, the British were making double piston spring guns, that were pretty powerful, but heavy and I think pretty bulky. The British have put a lot of effort into air rifles, because it is near impossible to own a functioning fire arm on that **** island.

These precharged air rifles that are becoming so popular, are actually a reintroduction and modernized versions of air rifles from the 1600s through the 1800s. For a long time, the fastest way to get off multiple shots with a rifle, was to get a air rifle. From what I understand, very few people owned them, they seemed to be owned mainly by rich hunters. But also they were popular with poachers, for the purpose of poaching the kings deer, because they were quieter and could be fired much quicker than the black powder flint locks of the day. Even those old air rifles from 200 to 400 years ago, would easily kill deer and boar.

These new precharged air rifles, can be very accurate, quiet and powerful. The larger bore guns, such as the 357 to 45 caliber guns, can be quite powerful. There is a video of a guy shooting a pig probably around 180 lbs. or so, pretty quick kill. Then they show it in slow motion, the bullet passes clean through on a chest.

I plan on getting one of these new rifles, I figure somewhere around a 357 caliber, possibly one of the bigger bore guns. If I get one, it will be for the purpose of shooting hogs, since they are non game animals.

Thats some cool info. I had no idea they had air guns of sort back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      177 or 22 caliber will work fine. It really does not take much to kill the critters you listed. Stepping up to one of the more powerful 25 caliber guns, would be a bit overkill, but would extend your range.
      I have a different opinion than the above statement and it is based on experience and research of what others have discovered in actual field conditions. For a primary purpose hunting air rifle, a .177 should be limited to small rodents such as mice/rats, chipmunks, and similar size animals. Yes, a .177 cal. will kill squirrels and rabbits and such, but the kill recovery rate is much lower due to lack of damage of the round and minimal wound channel. For squirrel, rabbit, and even raccoon size animals, I'd recommend a .25 cal. minimum. If you care to do a bit of looking around, Ted's Holdover web site/You Tube channel has some excellent comparison videos of specifically squirrels being shot with a .22 vs. a .25 cal. and the difference is significant. A .177 cal. is even more dramatic. I have shot squirrels with all three calibers, and if you go out and try it yourself, you'll see the difference. A .25 is NOT overkill for this size quarry at all, and in fact as far as I am concerned, quite necessary.
      Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
      Thats some cool info. I had no idea they had air guns of sort back then

I'd suggest some reading for you of the Lewis and Clark expedition... They give credit to their PCP air rifle and being the difference between success and failure of their expedition. They were used to take all manner of game, and when demonstrated to the Native American Indians, allowed them to impress the "Indians" as being powerful people and worthy of respect, and even allowed for better trading values between them and the expedition... Makes for some fascinating reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am bit...have to do some research. What is the quietest 9mm cal that you would recommend for under $300 or is that even reasonable dollar amount?

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
          I am bit...have to do some research. What is the quietest 9mm cal that you would recommend for under $300 or is that even reasonable dollar amount?
          Add another zero, then get you a Kalibrgun Cricket in 9mm. Get DonnyFL over on the Talon Tunes forum to get an LDC for it. It will be mouse-fart quiet and single hole accurate beyond 50 yards.
          Link to Talon Tunes Forum: (disclaimer: That forum is wide open so language and subject matter sometimes gets pretty far off into the weeds away from "family friendly"). http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/index.php

Edit: Here's a link to show the details of the rifle: http://kalibrgun.ru/en/guns-catalogu...wood&kalibr=35

Talon Tunes will give you a good price for it.
          Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 08-17-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X