Squaring up Brass Inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squaring up Brass Inserts

So I had some arrows made at a local shop. They have 100gr brass inserts. Only one of them spins well with my broad heads (Magnus Stinger). I thought for a minute it might be the heads, but I put them on some other arrows and they spin well. I’ve tried to square up the end of the shaft with my tool, but it doesn’t help. Could it be the brass inserts? Interesting thing is it doesn’t happen with some of my non-trad BH’s. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it does not happen with other broadheads, I would think it has to be something with the Stingers??? Stingers are spin tested from the factory. I use them, and have never experienced the issue you are having.

Bisch

Comment

Bisch,

Thanks for the response. I thought it might be the Stinger too, but when I put them on other shafts, they spin true.

Skooter

Comment

I always put my inserts in with cool flex reversible glue. I set em, spin em with a known straight broadhead. If they wobble a bit I’ll heat and slightly turn and spin till I have them true. You would be surprised how much of a difference you get as you turn em. Good luck!

Comment

I have never seen or known of this happening. Just throwing it out there.
          Can it be possible that the inserts where glued in with hotmelt only on one side?
          Instead of getting hot melt all the way around the insert.
          I d ont know. Just thinking it could happen.
          Maybe your non trad bh’s balance out better because of them being 3 or 4 blade heads.

Comment

Thanks all. I don’t know for sure, but I’m gonna guess they weren’t put in with hot melt. It almost feels like you can feel the wobble when threading the BH’s in. There are some other things I’m not pleased about as well.

Probably just gonna chalk these up to experience.

Thanks.

Comment

I believe Mesquivel is correct. IF they did not work the glue around the insert only dabbed and stuck you could be getting a mis-alignment through the shaft. It doesn't take much. I use hot melt on all my inserts and shoot the 100 grain brass in my carbons. Try heating them and turning just a little and see what happens.
              Put a field point in the insert about halfway, and heat the point. The heat will transfer into the brass. This takes a while, but you ensure that you don't char the carbon arrow in doing so.

Comment

Working...
              X