Hugger hit the dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugger hit the dirt

Bought my place last September 30 and set up a trail cam and feeder immediately. One of the very 1st deer that showed was This tall heavy long mainbeemed 8. His main beams wrapped around hints the name hugger. After I got moved in a settled here I began to hunt. Well every other sit I'd have an encounter with him. On Christmas Day last year I had him feed infront of me for over an hour. I decided to let him walk as the season was coming to a close and he needed one more year. That was a tough thing to do on a smaller place like mine. Well fast forward to summer and he's showing everyday, both free times and both sets. Looking great in velvet and put on a lot of weight.

Opening weekend I had one encounter with him but he wouldn't stop. He continued to cruse by and hit low branches and made two scrapes. I then knew this was his area and it was only a matter of time. I sat all weekend opening weekend, including Monday and no sign of him except nighttime trail cam pics. So I filigree he's nocturnal and this is going to only happen at last light.

Well, yesterday evening as my evening hunt gets into prime time, I hear something coming downwind, directly to my hard left. It was a buck, a nice buck but not Hugger. Shortly after, I hear another deer coming... I can tell it's a buck but not Hugger again..., then 1min later I hear a grunt and growl almost and there he stands. 55yrd directly downwind and on a string!!! I grab my bow and slide forward in my tree stand. He comes in just like planned and heads straight to the Ground Poind by BuckBomb. He's in position, neeed leg to move forward and boom, he steps forward, I'm at full draw, 26yds perfect slight qtr away shot and zip! I let it sail. Perfect shot but arrow acted very strange. He immediately spun to the left and kicked arrow out so I began to question... I waited an hour, tipped toed out and called a friend to help me track. We waited a good 3hrs and decided it was time to go in. Found arrow, great blood with 20" of penitration. We started finding very small blood and it went dry at 25yrds, so I pulled the plug and figured it'd be cool enough and if he's dead, he'll still be dead in the morning. If he's not, he prob would've die.

Got back to the house and decided to give Kenny Wall from here a call and see if he'd be willing to assist with the recovery with his dogs. We called and discussed everything and the details of the shot and decided to wait a land look at first light. So, let the sleepless night begin. I replayed the shot time and time and at about 3:00am I concluded it was a perfect lethal shot. There I was wanting to get up and go get him but I waited for Kenny.

Kenny arrived around predawn. We chattted and got things ready. I led them into the area where I shot and Kenny put the dogs on the trail. They immediately put nose to dirt and were on it! All of about 3min from start, the dogs started howling and Kenny said "there's your deer"! With absolute excitement I couldn't believe my eyes and the track was over! He didn't make it 80yds from where I shot him and crashed! He was definitely dead and right there another 60yds but I'm so happy I decided to back out and wait til morning!

Thank you Kenny Hall for coming and being a part of the recovery! Appreciate it amigo!

First Deer on MY dirt! Feels better than anything! The KAO marked on the tag... YES!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great story and heck of a deer! He has a lot of mass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome deer! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a heck of a buck!

Comment

Awesome buck

Comment

Great deer!
                Congrats!!!

Comment

Nice buck

Killing one on your own piece of ground is special

Comment

Ol hugger is a big bodied stud, congrats. What part of the state is this?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome buck! Congrats

Comment

Awesome 8! Congrats. What a stud.

Comment

Awesome deer. Congrats.

Comment

Man ain't nothing like killing a buck on your own land. Big congrats to ya on a great buck!

Comment

Dang nice buck and on your own property! Priceless!!! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X