No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you blatantly express that you are going to do something illegally, it gets under the skin of all the hunters that hunt legally. Whether or not you like bows, it is still against the rules to bring a rifle into the Granger WMA.

You ask how the other WMA are different from Granger. Well, first and foremost, it is illegal at Granger. And your post about eluding the game warden. What the hell is that? They are there for safety and to make sure people like you do not go into the woods.

It scares me to read that you are thinking about taking your .30-30 into the woods and trying to hide from the game warden. Whether or not they have on blaze orange, you should still identify your target and be positive that you are shooting at what you know is an animal. It doesnt matter in this case though, because it is against the law to use a firearm at Granger.

If I am not mistaken, you are not allowed to use shotguns for pigs either. Shotguns for squirrels and rabbits, but I doubt that will stop you. From the looks of it, you are going to do what you want, no matter the expense of anyone else. Just let me know when you are going to be out there, so I dont go and I can let my friends on here know not to go to Granger that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Austinhunter30 View Post
      Went out in the afternoon but didnt see much movin around. Heard some movement in the weeds but never could see what it was. Maybe next time.

There are plenty of WMAs which allow rifle hunting. How is hunting in those any different than Granger? Its not like those are unsafe - thats why blaze orange is required. There is no way anyone will hit you if your wearing it. It scares me to read that there are folks out there without it (having to be asked to put it on by other hunters) and makes me feel unsafe.

Im sorry I am not making many friends on here, I enjoy hunting just like the rest of you but am just not into bows. If it makes everyone feel better ill leave the rifle at home and just use the shotty with slugs. I cant believe someone even said it was me starting fires.
      The last guy that was poaching with a shotgun at granger went to jail and lost his weapon.I would re think it.and yes shooting hogs at granger with a gun is poaching

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
        The last guy that was poaching with a shotgun at granger went to jail and lost his weapon.I would re think it.and yes shooting hogs at granger with a gun is poaching
        Agreed. I think that should go for the heli shooters also LOL

Comment

Granger Info

a. Hunting or shooting within 600 feet of homes, developed parks, roads, fishing piers or
          platforms, farm and ranch yards, outlet structures, emergency spillways, or other areas is
          prohibited unless otherwise stated or posted.
          b. Pistols are prohibited.
          c. Buckshot (any shot size large than #2 shot) is prohibited anywhere on government
          property. Buckshot is prohibited due to increased public safety concerns. Shotguns with rifled
          slugs are allowed when hunting deer and feral hogs except at those lakes which restrict deer and feral hog hunting to archery only.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0112a_114.pdf

Feral Hogs: Archery and Crossbows only: (no bag limit) No Closed season (except on Closure dates). Hunting is restricted to one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. Baiting is allowed for feral hogs.

11. Must I wear hunter orange?
          Corps Non-Permit Lakes: No, but the proper wearing of hunter orange is highly
          recommended for hunter safety. Please refer to the information for Sam Rayburn Lake for
          specific requirements on wearing hunter orange.
          Corps Permit Lakes: Yes. Hunters (and anyone accompanying the hunter) must wear at
          least 400 square inches of hunter orange material (144 square inches on both chest and back)
          when hunting and are also required to wear some type of orange head wear. Hunters exempt
          from this requirement are: persons hunting deer/turkey/feral hog during the archery only season
          and persons hunting turkey, waterfowl, or migratory birds (except dove hunters during
          concurrent hunts for quail).

Granger Lake/Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD)/ Granger WMA
          3100 Granger Dam Road County: Williamson
          Granger, Texas 76530-5067 Acreage: 10,887 acres
          (512) 859-2668 Corps Permit: Not Required
          (512) 859-2934 (fax)
          www.CorpsLakes.us/Granger

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat..._0112a_709.pdf

Administration: Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
          Legal Game: As published in the Texas Outdoor Annual for this county.
          General: Wildlife management and hunting lands on this project are licensed to TPWD as
          part of their Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit and Public Hunting Drawing System
          Programs. For hunting information on this area please write or call TPWD at:
          Public Hunting
          Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
          4200 Smith School Road
          Austin, Texas 78744-3218
          (800) 792-1112 (512) 389-4800

Hope this helps some of the people new to this area.

Comment

Originally posted by 05 gray ghost View Post
            a. Hunting or shooting within 600 feet of homes, developed parks, roads, fishing piers or
            platforms, farm and ranch yards, outlet structures, emergency spillways, or other areas is
            B. Pistols are prohibited.
            C. Buckshot (any shot size large than #2 shot) is prohibited anywhere on government
            property. Buckshot is prohibited due to increased public safety concerns. Shotguns with rifled
            slugs are allowed when hunting deer and feral hogs except at those lakes which restrict deer and feral hog hunting to archery only.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0112a_114.pdf

feral hogs: Archery and crossbows only: (no bag limit) no closed season (except on closure dates). Hunting is restricted to one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. Baiting is allowed for feral hogs.

11. Must i wear hunter orange?
            Corps non-permit lakes: No, but the proper wearing of hunter orange is highly
            recommended for hunter safety. Please refer to the information for sam rayburn lake for
            Corps permit lakes: Yes. Hunters (and anyone accompanying the hunter) must wear at
            least 400 square inches of hunter orange material (144 square inches on both chest and back)
            when hunting and are also required to wear some type of orange head wear. Hunters exempt
            from this requirement are: Persons hunting deer/turkey/feral hog during the archery only season
            and persons hunting turkey, waterfowl, or migratory birds (except dove hunters during

Granger lake/texas parks and wildlife department (tpwd)/ granger wma
            3100 granger dam road county: Williamson
            granger, texas 76530-5067 acreage: 10,887 acres
            (512) 859-2668 corps permit: Not required
            (512) 859-2934 (fax)
            www.corpslakes.us/granger

administration: Texas parks and wildlife department
            legal game: As published in the texas outdoor annual for this county.
            General: Wildlife management and hunting lands on this project are licensed to tpwd as
            part of their annual public hunting (aph) permit and public hunting drawing system
            programs. For hunting information on this area please write or call tpwd at:
            Public hunting
            texas parks and wildlife department
            4200 smith school road
            austin, texas 78744-3218

hope this helps some of the people new to this area.
            so is hunter orange required for granger?

Comment

I am not sure, but I know that firearms are prohibited for anything but dove or squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                so is hunter orange required for granger?
                No it is not. it is just recommended, but not required.

Comment

hunter orange

Granger is a "Corps non-permit lake", that is why it is not required.

That is how I read it, but I have been known to be wrong.

Comment

hunter Orange

Be careful not to get the Corps regs confused with the TPWD regs. Corps land at Granger is leased to TPWD and managed as a state WMA. Since TPWD is the primary agency for wildlife management, their regs supercede the Corps hunting program policy, even though the Corps owns the Granger WMA. I would refer to your APH booklet.

Comment

Regardless, hunting pigs with his .30-30 is totally absurd and dangerous. I dont make it out there very often, hardly ever, but would like to try more. If I saw him out there with that, a direct call to the game warden would be coming, and I would not think twice about it.

Comment

Originally posted by 05 gray ghost View Post
                        b. Pistols are prohibited.
                        c. Buckshot (any shot size large than #2 shot) is prohibited anywhere on government

Feral Hogs: Archery and Crossbows only: (no bag limit) No Closed season (except on Closure dates). Hunting is restricted to one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. Baiting is allowed for feral hogs.

11. Must I wear hunter orange?
                        Corps Non-Permit Lakes: No, but the proper wearing of hunter orange is highly
                        recommended for hunter safety. Please refer to the information for Sam Rayburn Lake for
                        Corps Permit Lakes: Yes. Hunters (and anyone accompanying the hunter) must wear at
                        from this requirement are: persons hunting deer/turkey/feral hog during the archery only season

Granger Lake/Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD)/ Granger WMA
                        3100 Granger Dam Road County: Williamson
                        Granger, Texas 76530-5067 Acreage: 10,887 acres
                        (512) 859-2668 Corps Permit: Not Required
                        (512) 859-2934 (fax)
                        www.CorpsLakes.us/Granger

Administration: Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
                        Legal Game: As published in the Texas Outdoor Annual for this county.
                        General: Wildlife management and hunting lands on this project are licensed to TPWD as
                        part of their Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit and Public Hunting Drawing System
                        Programs. For hunting information on this area please write or call TPWD at:
                        Public Hunting
                        Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
                        4200 Smith School Road
                        Austin, Texas 78744-3218

Hope this helps some of the people new to this area.
                        after doing some research, it appears that this does indeed come from the Corps hunting program policy, therefore, it would non be the official rules for Granger. the TPWD APH rules would be the appropriate regulations to follow. kinda what i was thinkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Austinhunter30 View Post
                          Went out in the afternoon but didnt see much movin around. Heard some movement in the weeds but never could see what it was. Maybe next time.

There are plenty of WMAs which allow rifle hunting. How is hunting in those any different than Granger? Its not like those are unsafe - thats why blaze orange is required. There is no way anyone will hit you if your wearing it. It scares me to read that there are folks out there without it (having to be asked to put it on by other hunters) and makes me feel unsafe.

Im sorry I am not making many friends on here, I enjoy hunting just like the rest of you but am just not into bows. If it makes everyone feel better ill leave the rifle at home and just use the shotty with slugs. I cant believe someone even said it was me starting fires.
                          Dude despite the rules at other WMAs at Granger Lake you can not have a rifle of any kind. You can have a shot gun but you can only use it to take Squirrels and Rabbits and certain birds depending on the season. Just because you can have a shot gun doesn’t mean you can load it up with slugs and take hogs. You wonder while people are getting irritated with you it is because we all have to put in the long hours to kill one with a bow while people like you who are to lazy to read the rules role out there with a gun and think its cool to break the law. Like everybody else said I want to make it home in the evening. Good Grief Charlie Brown!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
                            Regardless, hunting pigs with his .30-30 is totally absurd and dangerous. I dont make it out there very often, hardly ever, but would like to try more. If I saw him out there with that, a direct call to the game warden would be coming, and I would not think twice about it.
                            agreed, and i person who will take an animal by illegal means is likely violate other laws as well. completely unethical.

Comment

Originally posted by Granger455 View Post
                              after doing some research, it appears that this does indeed come from the Corps hunting program policy, therefore, it would non be the official rules for Granger. the TPWD APH rules would be the appropriate regulations to follow. kinda what i was thinkin.
                              Yes this is taken from the Corps web site. I looked at the TPWD APH booklet and found this:

Important – In addition to the other applicable statutes or regulations, a person on Public Hunting Lands commits an offense if that person:

Hunter Orange
                               fails to visibly wear at least 400 square inches of hunter
                              orange material with orange headwear and at least
                              144 square inches appearing on both chest and back during
                              daylight hours at times when hunting with firearms is permitted.
                              Exempt from these requirements are: (1) authorized
                              department personnel and landowner employees, (2) persons
                              hunting turkey or migratory birds, (3) persons within the
                              enclosed passenger compartment of a motor vehicle,
                              (4) persons within a designated campground, designated
                              vehicle parking area, designated boat launching facility or
                              departmental check station, and (5) persons other than
                              hunters on COE properties.

© 2010 Texas Parks and Wildlife Department PWD BK W7000-112A (7/10)
                              Acknowledgments
                              PUBLIC HUNTING LANDS
                              MAP BOOKLET

Page xi

Now that I am still batting 1.000% I was wrong. I guess TPWD rules supersedes COE rules, but I would like to see that written somewhere word for word. You know so us redneck can understand it.

Comment

How is hunting with a rifle or shotgun any more "un ethical" than hunting with a bow? Not sure why it matters because the same animal (which is considered a pest) it being harvested to help the state and land owners out. If you guys were able to produce better results by bow hunting, things like the helicopter hunt wouldnt even be necessary because the hog population would be in check.

So did we ever figure out if blaze orange is required or not?

Comment

Working...
                                X