Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Most Archery Public Land DIY OTC Elk Hunts End Up......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been trying to put together a trip back to Colorado for the last 2 years. Next year I going and I'm one of those that believes that it is not about the kill, but the hunt.

Congrats to all that have made the trip.

To those that are going or are there right now, good luck and be safe.

Comment

So now I see this! LOL!

The one thing I didn't learn in time was move sooner rather than later. I definitely saw some sign... and valued the sign that was like 6 hours or less old... Witnessed for myself how extra pressure made a good spot bad in under 24 hours.

I did sit on some sighting areas (of actual elk) way too long though... and part of that was mental fatigue. I was tired of not seeing stuff, that I latched on to the one spot I had seen elk... even though in my mind, I knew they were probably gone the last 2 days.

But that is why you go... and going is how you learn these things for yourself.

It is too hot in Texas for tag soup... I'm gonna have me a tag sammich!

Comment

I preferred...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

I have hunted elk many years with more than a few DIY public land OTC tags. I had the honor and privilege to hunt with Stoof and BobG along his sons last year. While my expectations of taking a great bull were low my expectation of having a great hunt were high. The hunt was better than great.

My advise to new Elk hunters are: 1) Do everything possible to make sure you can be successful however set your expectations to match reality. If your expectations are grounded in reality you will maintain great attitude which more than makes up for the hardship and misfortune. 2) Chose your partners with care. Elk hunting is hard and when the chit hits the fan you need buddies that can support you mentally, emotionally, and physically. 3) Just do it. You will never be 100% prepared. Gleam what you can from Podcasts, books, hunting forums, and other hunters however just know that every hunt is different and you will have to adapt and do things that you had not prepared for. If you wait till you feel 100% then you may never make it to the mountains.

God Speed Elk Hunters

Comment

Great thread and info!
            One thing I will add is you can do this alone but why?
            Get a good hunting buddy to go with you on a DIY OTC trip. It makes things better.
            Remeber I said "Good Hunting Buddy". Oh and be in as good of shape as possible before you leave!
            Last edited by Killer; 09-20-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I'm probably going to Jinx myself for next year, but I'm 5 for 5 and batting 1.000 on harvesting elk the last 5 trips.....on public land, OTC, SW Colorado in a unit that isn't necessarily popular for elk (711). This year, I shot a nice 5x5 the first evening but hit a little forward and didn't get much, if any penetration. The next to last day, I made a double lung shot on a nice cow and went home with some fantastic meat.

I'm not boasting, but merely saying it can be a lot simpler than people make it. It is hard, don't get me wrong. I will differ on your "mobility" comment. Most hunters can't properly stalk or call, so being mobile is ineffective a lot of the time, especially early season before bulls actively breed. Elk are VERY mobile and will often come back to certain features like wallows, water, etc.... Find a good one away from everybody and plant your butt there and I guarantee you will have a opportunity within 3-4 days. Unfortunately, that's not the way MOST people "like" to hunt elk. Which is fine, but my ultimate goal is to harvest an elk. Adapt to the existing scenarios and you can be successful. Otherwise, you're just getting some expensive exercise

Comment

I get to start doing this yearly as a Montana resident. It's gonna be a learning and humbling process.

Comment

Awesome write up

Comment

Great info Arrowsmith and Sackett! Both methods work! Know your limits and have fun.
                    An Elk hunt is more about the hunt than the kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      I'm probably going to Jinx myself for next year, but I'm 5 for 5 and batting 1.000 on harvesting elk the last 5 trips.....on public land, OTC, SW Colorado in a unit that isn't necessarily popular for elk (711). This year, I shot a nice 5x5 the first evening but hit a little forward and didn't get much, if any penetration. The next to last day, I made a double lung shot on a nice cow and went home with some fantastic meat.

I'm not boasting, but merely saying it can be a lot simpler than people make it. It is hard, don't get me wrong. I will differ on your "mobility" comment. Most hunters can't properly stalk or call, so being mobile is ineffective a lot of the time, especially early season before bulls actively breed. Elk are VERY mobile and will often come back to certain features like wallows, water, etc.... Find a good one away from everybody and plant your butt there and I guarantee you will have a opportunity within 3-4 days. Unfortunately, that's not the way MOST people "like" to hunt elk. Which is fine, but my ultimate goal is to harvest an elk. Adapt to the existing scenarios and you can be successful. Otherwise, you're just getting some expensive exercise
                      This sounds a lot like the way Big Russ got his bull this year -- with trad gear!

Comment

My next trip will be back country. The drainages that I know hold elk every year are just DANG hard to get to. Everything on my back, travel with the elk/sign, and enjoying my expensive camping trip :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          I wish you would have posted this a few weeks earlier...I might have stayed home and saved some money!

LOL! I went in with reasonable expectations on what defined "success", knowing the odds of packing out meat weren't in my favor. It won't stop me from trying again next year. Great post, Mike!
                          Michael your video was outstanding!!! It captured the essence of why we take to the mountains and chase elk.

I would never want to discourage any future elk hunters, but I would like for them to have an idea of what they will experience. Most first time elk hunters have a vision of screaming bulls herding cows in a beautiful alpine meadow. Heck....I had that vision myself when I first started elk hunting. In the real world of OTC DIY public land elk hunting it is normally much tougher. After about 2.5 days of hiking, sitting, glassing, stopping to catch your breath because your brain is fixin to explode they realize that this is tough, this is the real deal, this is elk hunting.

Comment

Great thread, Mike, and those who contributed.

It's been 18 years since I camped in the mountains armed with a bow just south of Silverton and watched a huge herd of elk fade away above treeline. Great memories and experience but no meat.
                            Last edited by Burnadell; 09-20-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post

That is awesome!!! Congratulations!!! That is a great record that is way above average.

I have done horseback pack in and backpack pack in, but I prefer to have a camp at the truck. I will do one or two nighters if we think we got something going in a certain area. I don't like to commit to an area by backpacking way in and find that they are little to no elk there. If I have access to my truck I can go 5 miles, 10 miles, 15 miles etc if need to be to find animals. That is what I meant by being mobile.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X