Smoker Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker Advice

In college I bought a cheap wood burning smoker and really enjoyed smoking meats and even made some pretty dang good meals...for college kids.

Now I'm looking to add a smoker back to my repertoire of cooking devices. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a wood burner but if so I'm wanting something that will last, no cheap thin metal smokers. Or do I make the switch to an electric style pellet cooker.

My price range is probably 800$ or so maybe a little more. I've been reading a lot about people using weber's but I would like to step it up to either a Green Mountain or Yoder if I went that route.

So to you guys that smoke all the time should I get over the manly put would in every hour and constantly check the heat or should I make the switch and enjoy the ease of these pellet smokers?!?!?

electric is good if your wife is cookin

Comment

I'll say this, the electric smokers are great, for ease of use(set it and forget it), but it ain't the real thing (stick burner). That's my 2 cents...

Comment

I replaced my old pit with this pit.
        All Seasons Feeder offer Texas custom made BBQ pits with firebox yunhi double cooking chamber w/ 2 Large grills & 2 upper grill shelves. Call @1. 800.841.1720.

I use it a couple times a week and it cooks great. Never tried a electric smoker so I have no comparison but it gives me something to do and drink beer while throwing a log in every so often.

Comment

I have both and have found that my electric gets used WAY more. It’s so much easier to just turn it on and leave. On the other hand I’m a bigger fan of food that comes off the stick burner, it just tastes better.

That was zero help.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
            I have both and have found that my electric gets used WAY more. It’s so much easier to just turn it on and leave. On the other hand I’m a bigger fan of food that comes off the stick burner, it just tastes better.

That was zero help.

Lol

Comment

I think some may get confused with the electric smokers and the electric pellet grills.

The electric smokers are ok

The electric pellet grills are better

Stick burners are the real thing.

My next purchase will be a pellet grill. I think it is an excellent happy medium based on the food I've eaten off of one and the ease of use. These actually have a flame as opposed to the electric smokers like the Masterbuilt.

Comment

I have Rec Tec 680 and really like it. Food doesn't have quite the same taste as the stick burners, but does a good job. Think it is probably in the middle between the Yoder and a Green Mountain. Only drawback is that you have to buy direct from the manufacturer and have it shipped to you.

I did get some grill grates for it so I could put a good sear on steaks. Without the grill grates, it just doesnt get hot enough to get a good sear. Cook on mine a few times a week and it is pretty versatile. I've cooked ribs, chicken, brisket, steaks, pork chops, salmon, chilli, pulled pork and hamburgers. All have been excellent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                Last edited by jay; 01-03-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I have an electric Brinkman bullet smoker (water pan, heating element in the bottom) and a firebox pit smoker. I use them both, but I use the electric more often. My suggestion is to try to find a used firebox pit smoker in town for around $50 or so, and use the remaining $750 in the budget to buy a nice electric one. Then you can use whichever one you want to for each situation (time, amount of meat to be smoked, etc.) This Christmas I had a turkey and a pork shoulder going in the electric overnight, and warmed up a ham on the pit Christmas AM. It's nice to have flexibility in method and an abundance of space. Just one man's opinion.

Comment

I got a traeger for christmas and it is just about the best gift I have ever received. I absolutely love it.

Comment

All the pellets smoker I have looked at are the cheap thin metal... even the Traegars

Comment

Check out pitts and spitts pellet smoker, love stick burner one I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          All the pellets smoker I have looked at are the cheap thin metal... even the Traegars

Look at the Yoders. I was highly unimpressed with the build of most pellet smoker I looked at as well.

But.... pellet smokers don't need thick steel in order to keep temps even like the stick burners. The constant feed of pellets keeps temps stable.

They don't have a typical firebox that will burn out like a stick smoker either, but they do have other parts that will wear out, and need replacing.

You can't just let them sit outside either since they have electronics in them. So they take a little more care to keep in good shape.

I just replaced my stick burner with a Yoder with the sear plates and find I use it more because it does more than just smoke. I really can't tell any difference in the taste of the food except maybe a little less smoke flavor, but my wife really doesn't like smoked food. You can add a smoke tube if you really want more smoke flavor.

For your $800 budget, I would look at the Green Mountain Grills. That is what I was going to get, but sold my stick burner and buying the Yoder was a wash pretty much.

The pellet grills heats up for smoking in about 20 min vs the hour+ or so my stick burner took (granted it was bigger). The pellet is just so much easier, if you like to smoke a brisket over night, which I usually do. No more setting alarms to feed the fire.

Comment

I second the Yoders or Green Mountain and Traeger would be my third choice. I have 2 weber smoky mountains, and have used the heck out of them, but now that I have a Traeger, I find that I mostly use it unless I'm doing a large cook. Also, Traeger is great for grilling and quick to get up to temp for grilling or smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                              I think some may get confused with the electric smokers and the electric pellet grills.

The electric smokers are ok

The electric pellet grills are better

Stick burners are the real thing.
                              Yeah I should have been more specific I'm looking at the pellet grills versus sticks

Comment

Working...
                              X