Plantar Fasciitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plantar Fasciitis

I've had it before, 20 years ago or so. Then I taped up my arch, added arch support to my shoes and got over it in a couple months.

I injured my plantar fascia again back in May of this year, and I haven't gotten over it yet. I'm doing the same stuff, but still not well. Admittedly, I keep reinjuring it. I haven't laid off working out completely. I have been using an exercise bike instead of running, and I have stopped doing jump rope or box jumps or any other jumping exercises (mostly). Every now and then when my foot starts to feel better, I'll try one of those exercises. I haven't waited long enough before doing that, and it always flares it back up.

Anyhow, I'm getting pretty frustrated with it. I'm ready to get it well. I've been taking ibuprofen and icing it. Doing some stretching, etc... I tried one of those night splint deals, but it was way too uncomfortable and hot on my foot. I couldn't sleep with it, so I took it off. The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is to stop working out until it gets well (probably a couple months). I've worked so hard at getting back into good shape that I haven't wanted to give that up.

I'm thinking about altering my workouts pretty strictly for the next 2-3 months though to absolutely cut out completely anything that stresses the foot. No sled pushes/pulls, no mountain climbers, stair climbers.... Definitely no running or jumping of any kind. Pretty much just exercise bike for cardio and careful weight lifting exercises that don't stress the foot at all.

Any other ideas or tips? I am wanting to do the Spartan race in Burnet in May, so I need my dadgum foot to be well by then.

My BIL owns a running store and he suggested Super Feet inserts. I have bought them for 2 coaches at my school and they both got relief in a few days and completely went away in a couple of weeks. They are expensive ($40) but well worth the investment.

Comment

My bIL owns a running store and he suggested Super Feet inserts. I bought them for two coaches at my school and they got relief in 2 days and completely gone in 2 weeks. Go with the green ones, a bit expensive ($40) but worth it.

Comment

You will need to cut out any exercises that cause impact to that foot if you want it to get better? Have you been to a doc yet? They could possibly shoot it up with cortisone to reduce the inflammation and speed the healing. I would keep doing the stretches and use a frozen water bottle and roll it along the boron of your foot to both ice and massage.

I have custom orthotics that I have to wear in all my shoes or mine will flare up.

Comment

Man...I went to a podiatrist and had some insoles made for my shoes. they seem to help when i wear them but they take a lot of getting used to. Kinda feels like i have a golf ball in the arch of my foot. A far a running goes the shoes you wear mean everything! I'm not sure what kind of shoes you are using but i suggest you go to a running shoe store and let them fit you for a pair a shoes that offer the support that you need. As far as the spartan race goes... which race are you doing? I will be there both weekends in may and going for a double trifecta this year! whatever race you are doing i also suggest getting a good pair of trail running shoes with tons of grip. Soloman speedcross 3 are what i use. I did the spartan beast last month in these shoes and had zero issues. i have extremely flat feet and my arches tend to collapse after about 6 or 7 miles of running and it gets really painful. while wearing these shoes i had no pain and was able to complete all 13.2 miles pain free (well in my feet at least!). another tip i would offer is start doing burpees NOW! LOL

Comment

Feetures Plantar Fasciitis Sleeve worked for me. It took about a month to heal.

Comment

I'm the king of this aliment. The only thing that helps mine is a shot.

Comment

I had it in 2006 and its back with a vengeance. I tried the custom orthotics, cortisone shots, night splint, all of it. The only thing that fixed it was ESWT. It's basically using ultrasonic shock waves to re-injure the fasciitis and allow you to stretch it and let it heal properly. Unfortunately for me there is no place to get the ESWT treatment here...

Good luck with your recovery, I am sick and tired of mine. Let me know if you find something that works for you.

Comment

I saw you live in abilene. There is a sports chiro over there who is a good friend of mine you might try and get a hold of to help. almost always plantar fascia pains come from an imbalance somewhere and the superfeet insoles help tremendously especially way less than custom orthotics. http://www.anthony-chiropractic.com/ is his website. His name is Dr. Nick Anthony. Tell him that Randy from chiro school sent you.

Comment

I feel your pain... literally

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                      I had it in 2006 and its back with a vengeance. I tried the custom orthotics, cortisone shots, night splint, all of it. The only thing that fixed it was ESWT. It's basically using ultrasonic shock waves to re-injure the fasciitis and allow you to stretch it and let it heal properly. Unfortunately for me there is no place to get the ESWT treatment here...

Good luck with your recovery, I am sick and tired of mine. Let me know if you find something that works for you.
                      My wife had the ESWT and it helped her tremendously.

Comment

www.airrosti.com is a great site to find a provider location near you. Airrosti rehab centers specialize in treating ailments as this. I know there is not a location in Abilene but Nick is a good guy and knows sports injuries. Shots dont fix the problem, only hide it and yes they do help, sometimes. Sooner or later they wont help. check him out.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                          My wife had the ESWT and it helped her tremendously.
                          I'm to the point of flying home just to get it so that I can get better.

Comment

Shane: Something I've been doing recently for mine.

Fill an empty gatorade or similar bottle with water, freeze it. Then when your siting at your desk or any other length of time, remove your shoe, place the bottle under your arch. Apply a little pressure while rolling it back and forth with your foot.

Mine bothers me horribly in the morning soon as I get out of bed, and after I've been sitting still for a good while.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              I'm to the point of flying home just to get it so that I can get better.
                              I had a similar approach where the therapist reinjured the area so it could heal correctly but they did mine with some sort of painful implements manually. It hurt and I would bruise from it but it did cure mine and I have had no flare ups since then.

Comment

Working...
                              X