Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Statton48
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas and Comanche
Default Homemade suppressor??

Was talking to a guy the other day that has quit a few that he made. He got them all legal and stamped. He said it only cost him around $300 to make some of his better ones. Have any of you tried or did this? Seems like a great way to only spend $500 and have everything you need. What are the laws behind it? Or was he pulling my leg and it was all just crap?
Statton48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

look up solvent traps or mag light suppresor. yes they can be made however I would rather just buy a commercially available one
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statton48 View Post
Was talking to a guy the other day that has quit a few that he made. He got them all legal and stamped. He said it only cost him around $300 to make some of his better ones. Have any of you tried or did this? Seems like a great way to only spend $500 and have everything you need. What are the laws behind it? Or was he pulling my leg and it was all just crap?

Iíve heard of people using oil filters so long as the barrel is threaded. Itís not legal and I do not recommend it but Iíve been told by unnamed sources that it works very well hence why it is not legal nor do I advise it especially after I lost all of my rifles in a boating accident in the gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mauriceville

You need to submit a Form 1 instead of a Form 4 like you do when you purchase a suppressor. Once you get your stamp back you can build it. I have not done it myself though.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I may have seen one built from pvc pipe that works great.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

so you buy it do the paper work and now its legal . With that said I have commercial cans as well . I can tell you that the one I use on the 6.5 250 dollar version vs a yankee hill and a gemtech I cannot tell the difference .

now its not a full auto rated item but how may need a full auto, as well a few companys are offering titanium traps as well for the guys that want ultra light weight over aluminum some has QD others are thread on .

The one I bought is 100% CNC machined aircraft quality aluminum fits machined to very exact tolerances.

Now you can get them in colors as well This one I have is not a mag light Deal you need a large area to handle the high pressure gas on a 6.5 etc if you want to truly reduce the noise level .

I can shoot it without hearing protection on , I have never used it with sub sonic ammo yet as well that was not the main game plan .

wit that said I can see where I may load up some sub for it Hornady has release some ammo for it as well for pigs it would be a nice set up .

Once you start shooting sup[pressed its very hard to go back .. GF was shooting here new 243 and all I can think about is threading that barrel for a can .

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 10-15-2018 at 09:44 AM.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

SD Tactical sells kits that you build and submit a form 1. I built one of all titanium for 30 cal with a QD muzzle device and sent it back for “repair” and they installed a monocore. Ended up being more like $400 not including stamp. Quality is very good and for an all titanium can it’s a good value.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
roughneck266
Four Point

Hunt In: Warren

Biggest concern i have with Home made is that for the most part, you will have no data on pressure. Yeah flashlight tubes have been used, and they worked, but I just dont trust it for me. Maybe for a 22 but that would be about it. If you are talking about actually machining it yourself, then I would say go for it. At least in that case you would know for sure exactly what you are putting into it.
roughneck266 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Iíve heard of people using oil filters so long as the barrel is threaded. Itís not legal and I do not recommend it but Iíve been told by unnamed sources that it works very well hence why it is not legal nor do I advise it especially after I lost all of my rifles in a boating accident in the gulf.

It appears we know the same source

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
sendit
Ten Point

Have made several on form 1's and still have a few approved stamps that I havent started on. Machined different alloys in aluminum, titanium and stainless for tubes and baffles, endcaps. They can have threaded endcaps or welded up depending on the use.
Materials are about $15 for aluminum, $100 for stainless and $200 for titanium. I don't figure machining time for personal use. Have them laser engraved by a local guy.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

I've done it. My .22 can is as quiet as any on the market but it quite a bit bigger. My 30 cal cans work great but I have never shot a commercial can so I can't compare it. I did it because at the time you could e-file them with a trust and it was WAAAAYYYY faster. I think of the 3 the longest wait was 45 days. That is right, barely over a month. I did my SBR the same way and it took 90 days. I would trust mine on my 300 RUM if it were threaded. They are stout, but heavy also. Tubes are SS, 2 SS baffles then titanium baffles after that.

.300blk subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkf_C8b4wk

Not imbedding for some reason.

Last edited by adam_p; 10-15-2018 at 06:46 PM.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I'm willing to bet best groups at 100yds with anyone using an oilcan 'can'...can't wait to see the brilliant mounting system to clear that eyesore on the end of the muzzle.

To me it would be a fun project if I was a machinist.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Look on the Silencer Talk forum for info on building your own suppressor. Step 1 in to file a form 1 and get the stamp.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #14
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

To really get the sound suppressed you need to use sub-sonic ammunition in tandem with the suppressor. If you don't you will still have the crack from the projectile as it breaks the sound barrier. Think of it as a mini sonic boom because that's what it is. However, subsonic ammo has a draw back. There is less velocity. A 5.56mm(.223) subsonic has about a 10th of the velocity as a standard 55 grain round.
More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #15
FireNguns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I may have seen one of these that went horrible wrong.
FireNguns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #16
sendit
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Liberty View Post
To really get the sound suppressed you need to use sub-sonic ammunition in tandem with the suppressor. If you don't you will still have the crack from the projectile as it breaks the sound barrier. Think of it as a mini sonic boom because that's what it is. However, subsonic ammo has a draw back. There is less velocity. A 5.56mm(.223) subsonic has about a 10th of the velocity as a standard 55 grain round.
Subs are going about 1100fps give or take depending on conditions. A 223 using 55gr projectiles are running about 3200fps so it's only about 1/3 not 1/10.
In most cases using a heavy for caliber bullet works better in subs but it takes a fast twist to stabilize them.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #17
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Quote:

Lol
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
1shot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
SD Tactical sells kits that you build and submit a form 1. I built one of all titanium for 30 cal with a QD muzzle device and sent it back for “repair” and they installed a monocore. Ended up being more like $400 not including stamp. Quality is very good and for an all titanium can it’s a good value.
This. I sent mine to rusty. Where did you go?

Last edited by 1shot; 10-16-2018 at 10:16 AM.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #19
twostepct
Six Point

I have a 9mm can that I built. I built it so that I can use different thread pitch caps or a booster because my primary use for it was 1/2x36 barrel on my 9mm AR pistol. I've done a side by side with my .30cal Omega on a 300 Blackout bolt action. There is a difference in volume but I don't know if it is because of the larger bore or the baffle design. Regardless, I enjoy it. It is a titanium tube.
twostepct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #20
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
I forget his name but t it was their guy.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #21
trjones87
Pope & Young

Quote:
bought mine for 350 from american manufacturing, but they arent in business anymore. id be surprised if materials really cost 300, im sure some of that goes to the machines
trjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #22
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Quote:

I believe it is legal as along as you register(form 1) the thread adapter for the oil filter if you are going to shoot through it. If not, the adapter is just a way to keep the oil filter on the end so solvent does not go flying when the brush pops out of the barrel
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #23
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky

I went the "solvent trap" route with a Form 1. Bought most of my components from one of the companies that got shut down by ATF but was fortunate to get my delivery right before that happened. Mine screws on to a yankee hill muzzle brake. Aluminum tube with stainless blast baffle followed by aluminum baffle stack that I drilled out myself. Runs great on my 300blk AR and I love it. Would do it again in a heartbeat. I even rolled my own prints for my form 1 trust submission Total cost under $250 not including the trust and stamp.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #24
Hunterbarton86
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: hardin county

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
me and jeremi made one from cotton balls and a water bottle on the .22 that worked great.
Hunterbarton86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #25
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterbarton86 View Post
me and jeremi made one from cotton balls and a water bottle on the .22 that worked great.
And filed a form 1 of course!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #26
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
Have made several on form 1's and still have a few approved stamps that I havent started on. Machined different alloys in aluminum, titanium and stainless for tubes and baffles, endcaps. They can have threaded endcaps or welded up depending on the use.
Materials are about $15 for aluminum, $100 for stainless and $200 for titanium. I don't figure machining time for personal use. Have them laser engraved by a local guy.
Would you mind posting links to a good supplier for these parts? Been wanting to build one and try it out.
Thanks.
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #27
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Not send it but check out form 1 builder . most complete kits per say . Solvent traps direct has some nice muzzle brakes to run as with a can as well . Nice option .
Old 10-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #28
King_G
Four Point

https://youtu.be/auONVRh2MtM
King_G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #29
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchgrass View Post
Would you mind posting links to a good supplier for these parts? Been wanting to build one and try it out.
Thanks.
x2.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #30
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Why would you do paperwork, and a tax stamp on a $8 oil filter? I’ll stick with commercial cans.
Raypo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #31
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjones87 View Post
bought mine for 350 from american manufacturing, but they arent in business anymore. id be surprised if materials really cost 300, im sure some of that goes to the machines
I'd say 90% of the cost is the machining
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #32
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
Why would you do paperwork, and a tax stamp on a $8 oil filter? Iíll stick with commercial cans.

Well i have commercial cans and did paper work on a trap . More so just to see how it would really work . for a bolt gun or even in my 223 AR they work very well and are 200 -300 total .

most commercial units are much more than that .

There is a company called rebel that have some low cost cans I have no direct hands on so cannot say if their 300 dollar unit is as good as a dead air or gemtech etc
Old 10-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #33
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
Well i have commercial cans and did paper work on a trap . More so just to see how it would really work . for a bolt gun or even in my 223 AR they work very well and are 200 -300 total .

most commercial units are much more than that .

There is a company called rebel that have some low cost cans I have no direct hands on so cannot say if their 300 dollar unit is as good as a dead air or gemtech etc

Interesting... I do have commercial cans and the durability and functionality seem to be well thought out.
Raypo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #34
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

As you know there is not much in them so if the fit is right and the OD of the can is larger enough what more do you want . I get the fancy name brand but for 59 dollars a very good muzzle brake with adapter screw it on quick and the can works .

Some one did a DB test and it was so close hard to say that one was a real winner over the other . As well let say you have a large can for 30 cal Ok well shooting small cal though it it will be a reduction in efficiency .

But take the home made one and buy two sets of " dry storage cups and one extra end cap.

you can have 556 or 6.5 or 30 .

For a few dollars .
Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #35
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
I emailed Rusty yesterday about building one for me. He said if I completed the Form 1, my cost to him would be just under $800. This was for a 6.5 creedmore build, with a titanium tube and he would cut, clip, add spacers as needed, and test it.
Unless I misunderstood him, personally, Iíd rather spend that money on a bigger established company.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #36
ahlongslide
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

A guy in the following thread asked a similar question and I posted pictures of my form 1s internals. And posted links.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=697106
ahlongslide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #37
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchgrass View Post
I emailed Rusty yesterday about building one for me. He said if I completed the Form 1, my cost to him would be just under $800. This was for a 6.5 creedmore build, with a titanium tube and he would cut, clip, add spacers as needed, and test it.
Unless I misunderstood him, personally, Iíd rather spend that money on a bigger established company.

Sorry yes that is a high cost / As well many will use a wave washer to keep the baffles? dry storage cups tight.. This method is also used on commercial cans .

No sure where the 800 came in at was this a direct mount or a QD what size OD of the item ,
Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #38
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

What does it cost to set up the trust?
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #39
ahlongslide
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
I did my own for free, but the last 4 I used silencer shops single shot trust for $25 or whatever. Quick, painless and cheap
Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #40
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Quote:
Sorry yes that is a high cost / As well many will use a wave washer to keep the baffles? dry storage cups tight.. This method is also used on commercial cans .

No sure where the 800 came in at was this a direct mount or a QD what size OD of the item ,
The tube would be 1.625 x7.8Ē. It also had a QD mount. Iím sure its all good parts, and put together right. But heck, thatís a right there with some of the major manufacturers for cost. I just assumed it would be closer to $4-500.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #41
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
If I were to do it again I would pay Sean Cody his fee for drawing up a trust. I've considered contacting him to see if my cut rate trust could be modified.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #42
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
He said it only cost him around $300 to make some of his better ones.
$300 is halfway to some of the best centerfire suppressors on the market. Don't half-azz a lifetime purchase.
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #43
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Well one I bought has QD mount with MZ brake and was less than 300 to my door
Old 10-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #44
duckmanep
Ten Point

I'm curious for those that have done a F1 can, how is the POI shift and accuracy compared to a commercial can?
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #45
ahlongslide
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
I'm curious for those that have done a F1 can, how is the POI shift and accuracy compared to a commercial can?
Rusty on the form1 forum claims zero POI shift with the Double Hybrid Clip on his RSCs cups but all 4 of mine shift big time because I drilled and clipped them with a crappy Harbor Freight drill press. Accuracy is about the same on my heavy barrel guns. The pencil barrels benefit more because it helps with the harmonics. Surprisingly, the one I built for my 45-70 Marlin Lever action works the best despite the .51" bore.

Honestly, it's kind of satisfying building your own, but I didn't save that much over just shopping commercial can deals. I wish I could trade all of my Form 1s for more Omega 9ks and Omega 762s.

If I do another Form 1, then it will be an integral one or OTB.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #46
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
$300 is halfway to some of the best centerfire suppressors on the market. Don't half-azz a lifetime purchase.
I disagree completely,,, owning both I can tell you that with the right machine work your not giving up anything in fact one of my form 1 units is 2 OD by 8 long and its far better than my dead air unit to my ears . in a larger cal like 6.5 and 30 ( multi cal can )

Both work great no issues with either . In fact the 59 dollar 5/8 24 brake in 13/16 thread for adapter is a great brake as well . That one I bought is Ti but it was only due to availability

as well the easy of caliber changes is SO simple as running a 556 gun with a 30 cal can its a fair amount louder so a simple change of baffles for less than 50 dollars .

Now with that said look at the rebel cans I will be getting one of those soon at least I hope so paper work is dragging on .

Hard to say as your compare so many different items . as to what is better I am sure some of the are junk . where as others are not and the machine work is top notch without a doubt
Old 10-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #47
ahlongslide
Six Point

As far as price, my last all titanium Form 1 can cost me $625 not counting any drills bits. Granted, $125 of that was for the ASR adapter from SiCo, but for that price I was really close to another Omega and I have no warranty and it doesn’t work as good as the Omega.

BUT, if you have the equipment to do the drilling and clipping well, and like DIY stuff then you will enjoy it.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #48
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
I disagree completely,,, owning both I can tell you that with the right machine work your not giving up anything in fact one of my form 1 units is 2 OD by 8 long and its far better than my dead air unit to my ears . in a larger cal like 6.5 and 30 ( multi cal can )

Both work great no issues with either . In fact the 59 dollar 5/8 24 brake in 13/16 thread for adapter is a great brake as well . That one I bought is Ti but it was only due to availability

as well the easy of caliber changes is SO simple as running a 556 gun with a 30 cal can its a fair amount louder so a simple change of baffles for less than 50 dollars .

Now with that said look at the rebel cans I will be getting one of those soon at least I hope so paper work is dragging on .

Hard to say as your compare so many different items . as to what is better I am sure some of the are junk . where as others are not and the machine work is top notch without a doubt
I have a 22 rebel I got for dirt cheap, just to play with, and it shifts my POI about 9 inches down and 4 inches left @ 50 yards. Opened my group size up some too. But it's pretty quiet.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #49
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlongslide View Post
As far as price, my last all titanium Form 1 can cost me $625 not counting any drills bits. Granted, $125 of that was for the ASR adapter from SiCo, but for that price I was really close to another Omega and I have no warranty and it doesnít work as good as the Omega.

BUT, if you have the equipment to do the drilling and clipping well, and like DIY stuff then you will enjoy it.

This is where I feel it can be difficult to use broad brush strokes Sure some are made great and some are not .

As I went into to with really nothing to look forward to . Meaning well if its junk well then its junk move on not a huge deal .

The one I bought I had to do nothing to it at all . In fact the machine work and tapered cones where amazing .. I think that many of the ideas that some are using is a direct copy of what the big names are doing . One out there now has the one piece CNC cut crazy baffle .

One small spring washer just like the name brand .. File the form 1 and away you go . Do I think all of the home made form 1 are the same no I do not .
Old 10-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #50
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

What ever happened to the hearing protection act?
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top