HELP Public Vs Guided Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I just got back (yesterday) from my first elk hunt in Unit 4 outside Chama, NM. I faced the same decision and decided to go with a guide. I'm glad I did and while we were not successful, learned a LOT... so much that I just could not have soaked up without being there and seeing/hearing it... no matter how much online info I read, and I read a lot.
    Given the choice I would go guided again... and will probably make that call for next year.
    Who was your guide and would you recommend them?

Comment

Hey Mathew
      For my first high mountain elk hunt(archery), I went on guided BLM (which lots guides do, unless they have private ranch available which cost more$$$ for you).
      Went to Colorado [sweet for me], archery and got a nice 5x5. Them following years I do DIY in area, camp where outfitters are(there's always someone round doing cooking, taking care extra horses). BLM lands is way I'd go after guided hunts, ask many questions about area best time to go etc..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Go DIY on public land. Between now and 2020 you'll learn so much. I started elk hunting last year and have learned more than I thought possible in a little over a year. You'll save money and get more satisfaction doing it on your own. Start doing some research and watch lots of YouTube videos of diy public land archery elk hunts. You have more time than you need to get ready for it.

Comment

I didn't read any of it but the answer is guided.

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post
            Hey Mathew
            For my first high mountain elk hunt(archery), I went on guided BLM (which lots guides do, unless they have private ranch available which cost more$$$ for you).
            Went to Colorado [sweet for me], archery and got a nice 5x5. Them following years I do DIY in area, camp where outfitters are(there's always someone round doing cooking, taking care extra horses). BLM lands is way I'd go after guided hunts, ask many questions about area best time to go etc..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
            Do you still have the guides info?

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewStatum View Post
              I'm looking to take my first Elk hunt in 2020 and would like to get your opinions on the best route to take. I found a Guided hunt in Wyoming that i liked, i met the outfitter at the Houston TTHA Extravaganza. I planned on taking one guided hunt to get my bearings (I have no experience calling or hunting Elk in any form) and the next hunt try my luck on public land.

What would y'all suggest? For a first timer with limited experience. Stick with the guided hunt for my first go around or try my luck with public land (which is the ultimate goal)?

Note: i'm not picky on what i kill, if i take the guided hunt i'm gonna kill a bull but the ultimate goal for me is the meat, so having to kill a trophy isn't a factor for me. I would be satisfied with a good cow.
              I would be curious who you talked with and what area they hunt? Pm me if necessary.
              In Wyoming you could very well do a guided elk hunt for archery in the right area then if no success hunt it for rifle too.
              Everyone like Colorado for OTC tags , hunting in Wyoming has much less pressure than Colorado. Just a fact due to population, tag numbers and no OTC for NR.
              Get some PP now for your upcoming hunt.
              Guided is a great way to learn, but you could also get a cow tag or 2 and come up for a learning experience that is not as expensive, DIY. Our cow tags are less than $400 and 2 each is the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                I would be curious who you talked with and what area they hunt? Pm me if necessary.
                In Wyoming you could very well do a guided elk hunt for archery in the right area then if no success hunt it for rifle too.
                Everyone like Colorado for OTC tags , hunting in Wyoming has much less pressure than Colorado. Just a fact due to population, tag numbers and no OTC for NR.
                Get some PP now for your upcoming hunt.
                Guided is a great way to learn, but you could also get a cow tag or 2 and come up for a learning experience that is not as expensive, DIY. Our cow tags are less than $400 and 2 each is the limit.
                Wildman Adventures out of Thayne. Bull hunt priced at $4500. Any other guide or DIY area recommendations would be appreciated.

Comment

Do a drop camp. They scout all yr and put you around elk. Just show up with gear and food.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                    Do a drop camp. They scout all yr and put you around elk. Just show up with gear and food.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                    I looked into that option yesterday and i'm leaning in that direction now. Have you been on one yourself?

Comment

I looked into that option yesterday and i'm leaning in that direction now. Have you been on one yourself?
                      Let me know if you do this or not and what you thought about it. I am wanting to do a DIY but also saw the drop camp option and am curious about it. I am still trying to get a "group" so that I can start making plans.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                        Let me know if you do this or not and what you thought about it. I am wanting to do a DIY but also saw the drop camp option and am curious about it. I am still trying to get a "group" so that I can start making plans.
                        it wont be until 2020 for use due to the Wyoming point system.

Comment

Look into some ranches that outfit also. They do not have to be licensed outfitters to hunt their own land.
                          I would put in for a cow tag, No PP needed for it. Look into an area you want to hunt bulls then apply for the cow tag there. You can learn the area and elk hunting while maybe putting some great cow meat in the freezer. Many cow tags open early and go late season. HMAs pay off late when they move down for winter. Hunting conditions can be iffy though late.
                          $4,500 spounds like a public land hunt, private outfits get more for a bull hunt. That doesn't mean it's not a good hunt. If it's private land for that price , it's a good price.
                          Outfitters that work general elk areas will be a little cheaper and easier to draw a tag.

Comment

We got back from AZ and had a great time. Saw lots of elk, good numbers of bulls, and scored on a 300" 6-point the middle of the hunt. We did have the usual problem with lots of public land hunters interfering with some of our set ups, but worked thru it.

Once we got back, my two partners went out here in Idaho and scored on a couple archery 5-points that I got to help pack out. Come on November, I can't wait for my desert bull hunt to open!!!!

Comment

following for the info.

Comment

We used a guide in New Mexico for 2 years and this past December went on our own. Using the guide the first time (my husband killed a great 5x5 bull) and second time was very much worth it. He does drop camps too but we didn’t do a drop camp or use horses, we hiked 40 miles in 5 days on each of the first 2 trips and 50 miles in 5 days when we went on our own. On self guided trip we found elk. It is so different than whitetail hunting in texas, different than public land whitetail hunting too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X