Tripod Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod Setup

What tripod setup are you running and why, looking to get something for nightime hog hunting and to steady shots up to 500yard cross canyon at the lease.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I recently bought a Pig0311-G Field Tripod and the Pig Saddle. I did not buy the GNN FB 52 ball head because I was not going to be able to get it in my hands before my antelope hunting trip last weekend. My buddy killed his antelope at around 290 off of it, and I killed mine at 337. I missed the same antelope at 515 yards because I misjudged the wind. Had the elevation perfect.

This one will get it done. We shot from a standing position as well from it. I am going to add the ball head soon.

Comment

Do you have a rail on the bottom of your stock, or will you need some type of saddle setup?

I will be pulling the trigger on a setup from Core (Leofoto) very soon, but I do have rails on the bottom of two chassis. I will need another solution for my Manners setup and may just go saddle attachment for that.

Good setups are not cheap, and cheap setups are not steady enough for 500 yard shots IMO.

Comment

Ive got a rail or mlok on my AR platforms and just standard stocks on my long range guns. And i believe youre right cheap isnt going to get it, im thinking about going the pig saddle combo route based on the amount of shooting i actually get to do.

Comment

Tripod Setup

Pig Saddle and a Slik 700 DX Tripod (what the Pig 0311 tripod is made from)

PIG Saddle from Shadow Tech, LLC, Melonite Finish w/ OD Green Pads

I have this cheap Neewer ballhead on it right now. It works great right now and is really solid, but I don't expect it to last for $20. I'll upgrade it when it breaks.

Last edited by Raider4044; 10-24-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Kopfjager Reaper Grip on a Slik D7 Pro tripod from Third Coast Thermal. They parked one with me to shoot and compare it to my hog saddle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I run a Fiesol tripod with RRS leveling head with Arca Swiss plates mounted on rifles. I have one on a Manners, AR-15s, and MPA chassis. They are night and day better than a pig saddle clamp mount.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                I run a Fiesol tripod with RRS leveling head with Arca Swiss plates mounted on rifles. I have one on a Manners, AR-15s, and MPA chassis. They are night and day better than a pig saddle clamp mount.
                Running the exact same setup. Love it!

Comment

Had good success with StealthPodX
                  The only bipod that adjusts to every shooting position from standing to prone by just squeezing two buttons with one hand! Quick, quiet, lightweight, and versatile. Get on target fast and make final adjustments with your support hand in its natural shooting position. Keep looking thru your scope and always…

I use their bipod for hunting hogs at night. It's held up better than the other bipods I've used. Veteran owned and made in the US
                  Last edited by altez; 10-26-2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks fellas!

Comment

Which feisol tripod do you use?

Comment

I was in the camp thinking there is no way the RRS tripods and heads are worth $1000+. I was wrong. The newest Anvil 30 head is amazing. I’ve taking some long shots off them, and can’t speak highly enough about it. The one I used I borrowed from a buddy for 3-4 weeks. Now I just need to procure my own.

Comment

I have one of the night stalker carbon fiber tripods and pig saddle. Been pretty happy with it so far, but may look at adding an arca swiss mount directly to the rifle and seeing how that works.

Comment

Following this thread, very hard to research these online. RRS really seems to be getting a lot of traction.

Comment

My brother is a big predator hunter and he has one he purchased from patriot valley that he swears by. I have never used it. But I believe it’s around $600

Comment

Working...
                              X