talked myself out of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

talked myself out of it

so i was dead set on getting a vxr 31.5, but i got to looking at bows again and ive basically talked myself out of it. ive been looking at the hoyt rx3 because i cant justify the brand new price of the rx4. i dont want to wait until the newer bows come out because ill do the same thing next year that im doing now and never end up with something (i did the same thing last year). is it worth it to buy the bow thats a couple of years old and save a little bit of money, or just buy a new one thatll last me for several years?

Buy whatever year/make/model you comfortably shoot. Brands/models/make loyalty doesn't make the best fit for you. What you shoot best. Makes the best fit. Go "try on" multiple brands/models/years. And buy the one that fits your budget the most. Comfort. Ease. And likeability will keep you in this amazing life style i mean hobby. Lol

Comment

Just this old guy's opinion but if you aren't a competitive shooter, and seldom shoot other than hunting, you don't need the latest and greatest. When my old Browning needed replacing, I shot a couple of Mathews for 2 years, a Hoyt, and an Elite of some sort. Then I tried the Elite Hunter model and it was the most comfortable, easy-draw bow I have shot. Now I have a pair, all outfited alike. I am purely a hunter and this bow does everything I ask of it. I have no reason nor desire for a new bow at this stage of my life.

I'm sure there will be others along with different reasoning, but in the end, you have to do what makes you satisfied.

Comment

Keep in mind that bows in general have horrible resale. Mathews and Hoyt are better than others, but....I encourage you to shoot other brands. I’m willing to bet you could find a 2 year old bow for less than $500 that would shoot and feel better than either one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
          Keep in mind that bows in general have horrible resale. Mathews and Hoyt are better than others, but....I encourage you to shoot other brands. I’m willing to bet you could find a 2 year old bow for less than $500 that would shoot and feel better than either one of those.
          Yep! I was set on getting a newer mathews to upgrade from my 2015 nocam. When it was all said and done I got a 2015 obsession and it shoots better than the higher end newer bows I shot, well for me anyways

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyattC View Post
            so i was dead set on getting a vxr 31.5, but i got to looking at bows again and ive basically talked myself out of it. ive been looking at the hoyt rx3 because i cant justify the brand new price of the rx4. i dont want to wait until the newer bows come out because ill do the same thing next year that im doing now and never end up with something (i did the same thing last year). is it worth it to buy the bow thats a couple of years old and save a little bit of money, or just buy a new one thatll last me for several years?
            Save yourself a Grand and check the classifieds. Bows will last a lifetime if taken care of. No bow on this Earth is worth 2 thousand dollars! When you walk out the door, they drop to their real value, $400-$700 dollars. If you know your draw length, get one out of the classifieds....you can thank me later.

If you don't want to do that, most Archery shops will sale used equipment and will set it up for you. I said most will, not all of them.

Comment

Good advice, I’m a new bow hunter looking for a solid set up

Comment

Nothing wrong with a 2 or 3 year old bow.. use the extra money to buy a press so you can learn to tune yourself. Learning to tune my own bow has helped me more than any new bow..

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                  Pretty spot on, in2018 I bought a 2016 Obsession off of here for $500 or so and it shoots lights out compared to what I had. I have shot new bows to see how it compares right now but it’s gonna be hard to get me out of this one.

Comment

Heck, in the last 8 years I've gone through a 2009 GT500, to a 2006 Switchback XT, then a 2015 Obsession Evolution, and currently a 2009 Mathews DXT. All were used, fully rigged, and much less than $500 each. The only new bow I bought was a 2001 Mathews Q2, and it's still in use today by a family member. They've all been great hunting bows, and I never felt the need for the latest and greatest, except when going from trad to compound with the Q2. Unless the limbs crack, the DXT might just serve me till I feel the need to go to a crossbow in my old age.

Stu

Comment

Buy what feels and shoots good now and keep it for 5-6 or hell even 8 years. Don't buy a bow that doesn't feel good to save a couple hundred dollars. Now if the cheaper bow feels right, buy away. I have kept my last two bows 5 and 8 years....planning on keeping my Traverse for a good amount of time....

Comment

Do what you want. :-). I still shoot a 10 year old Switchback because she hasn’t failed me. :-)

Comment

Lot of good advice on here. In the end you are buying the bow, its your money, you must be happy with it. Let us know what you decide.

Comment

I have been bow hunting for 37 years and have owned 4 bows! Anything made the last 10 years or so is light years ahead of my old bear whitetail bow. I have been shooting a DXT since it came out and it shoots better than me.

Comment

I’m still hunting and killing critters with my 1995 CSS System bow. It’s slower than modern bows, a tad louder, but it holds perfectly still during the shot. I can’t find any reason to get a newer bow for the life of me. Besides, the hogs and deer can’t tell if you just shot them with an old or new bow. Dead is dead. Shoot what fits you not your buddy’s buddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X